Steam Launch parts acquired

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Steam Launch parts acquired

Nice work, cool project.......

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thank you for sharing this thread with us. Your attention to detail reminds me of a freind who restores early 1900's cars and has a couple of steam cars he is working on. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, I love to learn about how things I haven't tinkered with are built. Keep passing on the info, otherwise knowledge like yours will be lost. Keep up the good work!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow! Now this is what I call "Art"...absolutely beautiful craftsmanship...
Thank you for sharing...
I will be looking forward to the boiler and engine assemblies...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

This is a very cool project thanks for sharing it ! ? the counter weights on a previous pic of the boiler . This is needed because the boiler will be top heavy ? Nice to see something other than rotten transom's and stringers for a change ..:)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Just saw this thread,..

Way cool!!!!,...

Seems like a year or so ago someone had a thread on the actual African Queen that they were restoring,...

seikeinlemming

Petty Officer 2nd Class" & 2020 Splash of the Year

sphelps- the counterweights are for the steam engine, which will be completely separate from the boiler. Both components (boiler and engine) are being built simultaneously depending on when different materials come in, so for a while there will be updates simultaneously on both.

teamster- it looks like they did restore the actual African queen, I will have to track down the thread and read up on that project!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If ya find that thread link it in here please,..

I haven't seen it come up with anything new in a long time and forgot about it until I saw your project,...

jbcurt00

Staff member

hmmmm GT, Great minds up early & thinking alike :D

seikeinlemming

Quick update as the boiler moves along. I posted pictures of the shell and firebox in February, the tube sheets are now complete.

IMG_1426.jpg

The small tube sheet (right) will be right above the firebox and it is connected by tubes to to the larger tube sheet (left) which will form the top of the boiler. Heat from the fire will travel through these tubes and turn the water surrounding the tubes into steam. There are many tubes (between 80 and 90) so that the surface area is increased and the water heats faster. In the coming weeks all of this should be welded together and start looking like an actual boiler.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very cool, thanks for sharing this with us......you don't see anything like this often.

seikeinlemming

It's been a long time since I posted an update on this project but it is chugging along (pun intended?). I have mocked up the helm console to get the proper height and size for the wheel. You will see that the entire inside of the hull has been covered with bilgekote (two coats above the floor level, three below. Most of the interior will be mocked up in cardboard prior to being built (don't want to waste mahogany).

IMG_0211.jpg

The more substantial progress has been made in the area of the boiler (pictured upside down below). The boiler has been tack welded together, and hopefully welding will be complete in the next month or so.

boiler welding.jpg

In the next few weeks the spokes for the steering wheel will be turned down on the lathe and that will start coming together, as well as the marine grade plywood that will form the structural floor (under the parquet-style floor).

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice work as usual! Thanks for keeping us updated!

seikeinlemming

A quick post here: Just finished the "test" spoke for the steering wheel. This fits nicely in your hand and will allow us to see what the spoke will be like before 5 more posts are turned using a lathe duplicator. The wood stock is 2"x2" in the un-turned areas which will serve as the hub and outer ring.

IMG_0264.jpg

Last edited:

seikeinlemming

A lot of progress has been made on the boiler in the past week. The first image below shows a tube sheet (with all the holes), and the water fill ring (used to get water into the boiler).

IMG_0037.jpg

Pictured below is the outside of the boiler with the top flue sheet tack welded in place. Tomorrow night the actual welding will be done. Tubes will be run between the two sheets of holes to allow more surface area to heat the water. The four things you see sticking out of the top are connected to a steam pickup tube in the top. Each of these will be attached to something that uses steam from the boiler. (Steam engine, whistle, water injector, etc).

IMG_0044.jpg

The firebox door will eventually go on the round hole coming out the side.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Constantly amazed that this kind of Old World Craftsmanship still being practiced.
Thank you for keeping this "technology" alive and sharing it with us.

southkogs

Staff member

Great looking project. The hull is beautiful and the metal work on the boiler and engine is fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

pckeen

Commander

Enjoying seeing this thread pop up from time to time. Keep posting!

seikeinlemming

A bit more progress has been made. Many of the tubes are going into the boiler right now, but some of the time off during the holidays was spent cutting floor pieces to make the deck. This is Okoume A/B 1/2" marine grade plywood. All the pieces will form the strength part of the deck, and be covered with the parquet style flooring. All four sections come out individually so that steam pipes and other sub-floor items can be serviced.

1555527_10105766710882054_597968973_n.jpg

The rectangular gap is where the boiler and engine will sit (boiler away from the camera, engine nearer the camera). This space will be made bigger as necessary once we have a better idea of the size of the parts going in there.

Last edited: