Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Okay guys,

I'm a bit pressed for time. I've been gone for 9 days on a mission trip to Indianapolis, which was a very good endeavor, and now i'm in a rush to get finished. The guy that was building my transom knee support dropped his angle finder which had the recorded angle of my knee and did not get that done while i was gone so i'm waiting on that to be finished. I have all of my wire to rig up everthing, but i do not have a fuse panel. I have the OEM switches and i will probably use them unless someone can recommend a really cool setup (not too pricey) that i can get in a week or so. I have to finish my dash panels and i want make sure i get the holes right. I really don't want to re-do the thing later. THE GREAT DILEMA is that we are leaveing the end of this month for a family vacation to branson, MO. i really want to put her on table rock lake. I've spent 1200 dollars on tires and front end stuff for my truck and now i've got to get the boat ready.

Any ideas on the switch/fuse panel. BTW all of the old harness was melted down so i'm starting from scratch with it all. any advice would be appreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hmm all my TnT stuff in integrated in the to motor control box and a separate relay box in the back. I didn't really have to wire anything.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, i ordered a 4 gang circuit breaker. I'm working on putting the notorious bow board back in. It has been quite a challenge. There's just too much to work around when the board is cut to its full length. It must have been factory installed without all of the other components in place.

Still looking for a jackplate. I found a 10" set back, but i am concerned about my new steering cable being long enough. I may have to exchange it. :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

10" is a lot of setback...why do you need so much?

It'll be a custom 19' rig then:D

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

10" is a lot of setback...why do you need so much?

It'll be a custom 19' rig then:D

My understanding is that more is better in this case. It gets the prop back in clean water and allows it to run more efficiently. I'm not totally sold on the 10" as it is 200.00 and i can get a 6" for 150. I've got to look at them both and see which one will work best.

EZ, if i had looked back at your thread once more i would have known the bow piece was put in before the top cap. I think i'm going to make mine go all the way across by making it in two pieces and putting a thin piece (vaneer) that hides the seem. It really flexes a lot without the extra support.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just shortened my bow piece and didn't have much of a problem.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just shortened my bow piece and didn't have much of a problem.

I may do the same, it just appears that it would have a lot of flex in it.

I was taking the support pole off of the windshield with the intention of brushing the rust off of the threads. The ball swivel twisted right off. I see that Taylor Made makes a replacement that is fixed length. I've called a few folks and no one seems to know what i need to measure. So, EZ what length did you order:confused:

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other thing, the chrome cap for the transom. Someone cut a section out of th emiddle to put a transom plate over the top. I removed that and now need a new cap. Any sources on such and animal.

Huron Angler

Admiral

My understanding is that more is better in this case. It gets the prop back in clean water and allows it to run more efficiently. I'm not totally sold on the 10" as it is 200.00 and i can get a 6" for 150. I've got to look at them both and see which one will work best.

My CMC bracket sets the Merc back about 6" and it does help keep the prop biting well into water.

Keep in mind the weight/balance issues, the rig wants to sit lower in the stern with the motor set back a bit. I do think they are great to have and open up the splashwell area quite a bit.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

My CMC bracket sets the Merc back about 6" and it does help keep the prop biting well into water.

Keep in mind the weight/balance issues, the rig wants to sit lower in the stern with the motor set back a bit. I do think they are great to have and open up the splashwell area quite a bit.

Yeah, I am concerned that it will have two disadvantages with the 10" jack plate. One, it will generat a leverage issue that will torque the transom more than a standard mount. Secondly, I'm not certain my new steering will fit.

Speaking of my new steering. I bought the teleflex Safe-t II rotary steering to replace the 1975 rack and pinion. It came with a 90 degree bezel. the orignial had a 20 degree that positioned the steering in an upward position by 70 degrees. I can order a 20 degree kit for about 30 bucks. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Had that issue on the Jupiter, ordered the wedge kit. Problem solved.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

late last night i got the steering helm installed in my dash. I went with the 90 degree now knowing the cut out is the same for the 20 degree. i can always order it later.

Also got the Sea Dog four switch panel installed. I ordered it over the phone from a local guy who was supposed to get me a circuit breaker panel, but instead got a fused panel. I gues it will work fine, but it is not what i wanted.

I'm going to install my windshield before i bolt up the dash in case there are any "adjustments" that need to be made. I'm thankful that other folks share these issues where we can know what to expect. I know i'm behind on pics, but the home computer is dead. Got to get another one, but all my money seems to be disappearing. Can't quite figure out where it is going:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm going to install my windshield before i bolt up the dash in case there are any "adjustments" that need to be made. I'm thankful that other folks share these issues where we can know what to expect.

Very good idea. It's MUCH easier to adjust the mounting of the consoles than the attachment of the windshield.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the windshield, both dashes, switch panel and steering helm installed last night. The windshield's center piece does not reach over to the driver console far enough to latch in the closed position. It was much worse when i was disassebeling the consoles and i assumed it was because the floor was rotten. I think i can live with it as it is though. My home computer is still down so no pics yet.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The original Starcraft steering wheel did not survive. The metal shaft had seized to the aluminum that is molded in as the hub of the steering wheel. Penetrating oil and much pounding did not produce any result. So, i heated the metal shaft a few times and pounded away with no result. Finally i put "TOO MUCH":eek: heat to it and the insert melted the steerin wheel. I couldn't use it as it was so now i must purchase a new one. ANY SUGESSTIONS WELCOM. :)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have one from a 71 SS that I will give you for the cost of shipping. If you are interested just PM me for details. I have a pic but am still at work and will have to get home before i can post it. Should be home around 2 AM.

Darren

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one from a 71 SS that I will give you for the cost of shipping. If you are interested just PM me for details. I have a pic but am still at work and will have to get home before i can post it. Should be home around 2 AM.

Darren

Thanks Stratosman86, actually my youngest son remembered one in the pile of garbage from by first starcraft starchief. I had throne it in the pile with the rotten floor, old faom and other junk from inside the boat. He dug it out and it looks alright. It will get me out for a test run. it has a couple of cracks in the hub. I had some rusto vinyl and fabric paint, so i painted it blue to match one of my boat colors. i'll probably go back over it with black to make it look a little better.

The metal fab guy completed my transom knee add on and i got it bolted up tonight. He made it out of 1/4" SS. that doesn't drill too easily. I am fabing the bow board in two pieces and have the vaneer cut and varnished for installation. Should have some pics up tomorrow.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of work today.

Attachments

• SplashWell.jpg
    SplashWell.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • KneeBrace.jpg
    KneeBrace.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BowBoard.jpg
    BowBoard.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1