Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Been out of the Loop for quite a while. I took her out fishing a few weeks ago, but no luck. Motor ran great. I've got 125 psi on all four on my 72 Johnson 115. I've found an 85 yammy 115 for 1400. The motor was owned by a dentist that passed away and seems to be great. The million dollar question is should i just wear out the old 115 and then look for a motor or grab this one???? I want a little more speed and fuel efficiency. I don't think there would be any difference in the fuel, but maybe more performance out of the Yamaha. Then again, i'm rated for up to 150hp. Would the 6cyl burn that much more than the 4 cyl???? Its summer, and time to spend money on the boat. Hoping to get my final vinyl work done soon. Cheers.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That Yammie is a nice motor but at that age, that is just a fair price. Not particularly a deal you need to snatch up. It was made right around the time they started going with prop HP ratings so it may be a good bit stronger than your Johnson (or maybe not). A 150 would typically be a V6 which would really drink the gas. I'd keep my eyes peeled for an 85 or newer 140 and continue to run the snot out of your '72.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, i needed someone to tell me what i already knew. I do want to stay in the V4. The High pressure models are attractive but very expensive. I aslo worry about not being able to do much work on it (because i will have to work on it sometime) without a computer due to all of the sensors.

Got an engine machine shop trying to talk me into the fitch motors. He said the retrofitted and rebuilt ones would be fine without the failure problems of the first ones.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright Guys, Gotta buy a boat cover. The tarp did great for the iwinter, but it can't handle the summer sun and heavy rains very well. Where is the best place to get one?

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tanks EZ. I will check the link out. Something goofy is happeing with my account on this forum. My profile pic reverted to an old one and none of my notifications for subscribed threads are coming through even they are marked to do so. Any ideas????????

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Terrible time at the lake today. I took her out for the first time this summer tubing. I was going slow with my daughter. I know that mid range RPM's cause heat build up. I just switched out to my son and was runnng at WOT. Heat buzzer comes on. I shut down, cool down. No noticable problems. I start her back up. Buzzer beeps and stops. I ran the boat about 350yds WOT. It started cutting out. I put it in neutral and switch key off. The throttle gaps open to WOT with key off in Neut position. I diconnected fuel but it rat WOT until carbs empty. It melted wires and started smoking. It will turn over, but i haven't tried to crank it. Any ideas on what happened. The only thing different is i have added a water seperator filter?????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you cooked it.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you cooked it.

That's what i am afraid of. What will make one go WOT with the throttle nearly closed. I was wondering if it would get hot enough to begin burning in the crank. Further i don't know why the buzzer went off?

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update on engine. I got it home and finally got around to seeing if it would start. It started up with a little shot of fuel into the carbs. It ran a little rough at idle, but throttled up nicely. Water was coming out from around the heads and one exhaust manifold bolt. I pulled a compression test and had 110 psi (before it was 120). The loss could be because of leaking gaskets. I ordered new gaskets (iboats) and talked with a mechanic. He said the heat probably stretched the bolts. He said put the new gaskets in and torque it down. I plan to do so. I still want to pull it off and repower.

I am going to look at a 1991 Merc 115 tomorrow. I hope some of you merc guys chime in and advise me there. I have another 90hp merc that is a Mid 90's model that the guy wants 1600 for turn key set up. The sweet thing is the 115 comes with a boat for 1200.00. It is a reputable guy who wants to get a new boat because the transom is rotted. I'll fix it an put my old 115 on and sale it. Any advice appreciated.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, i have come over to the dark side. I bought the merc attached to a 16ft tidecraft in better shape than i thought it would be. It has 125 psi on all four cylinders and starts instantly.

Great boat, and great project. We had an 18' Supersport when I was a kid. It was blue/white with a 115hp Johnson outboard. Did a lot of waterskiing and general boating with it. Brings back good memories.

Triton II

Commander

Well, i have come over to the dark side. I bought the merc attached to a 16ft tidecraft in better shape than i thought it would be. It has 125 psi on all four cylinders and starts instantly.

That's great news! Nice buying Bro! :D

TII

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great news! Nice buying Bro! :D

Yeah, i thought it a great deal. The motor has been well taken care of. it was owned by a banker and a well known mechanic did all of the service work. I'm gonna swap it with the johnson and sell the old glass boat. My son wants me to keep it. He thinks it would be a better fishing boat due to the casting deck.

TII

Great boat, and great project. We had an 18' Supersport when I was a kid. It was blue/white with a 115hp Johnson outboard. Did a lot of waterskiing and general boating with it. Brings back good memories.

It was a lot of fun. The family enjoyed sweating in June, July and August hustling to get it done before a vacation to branson. We hope to return with the boat (and merc) in November for the trout spawning.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the Merc mounted and ready to go. i have to get some throttle and shift cables. It really looks better than the 73 Johnson. I put new head gaskets and an exhaust gasket in it today. Run compession and got 120,115,120, 115. runs great now with no leaks. I hope to clean the mercury up and post some pics. Still got to find some pleated vinyl (white) to go on the side panels and wrap around back rests. I hope to get her finished this summer. I finish my finals for my masters next week. I might have a little time for it then.

Triton II

Commander

I finish my finals for my masters next week. I might have a little time for it then.

Good luck with the exams. Glad to hear the Merc's nice and healthy. :)

TII

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck with the exams. Glad to hear the Merc's nice and healthy. :)

TII

Yeah its all good. I actually sold the boat that had the merc on it origianlly with the 115 Johnson on it. It's running good and the young man was glad to get it. I must not have asked enough, he was the first one to look at it and bought it. Shortest time frame i've ever owned a boat- 3 days.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, looking for a tach for my 91 115 Mercury. I have the shift/throttle cables on the way. The last thing i wan to do is go out and blow her up on the first run (or any subsequent run for that mater) I'm looking for a tach that is small (2"- i really like the white ones) so i don't have to drill a huge hole in my dash. I also want one that doesn't break the bank. I have seen on epay a few digital hour meters and tachs that simply wrap a lead around a plug wire. Any experience here?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

greatlakesskipper.com is about the only place I've ever seen with any non-standard-4" tachs.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay i had to go with a 3-1/4" cut out for the teleflex tach. I got the white with stainless Bezel. I know i have a SS 21 pitch prop. I'm afraid it may be over propped. I've looked up a few prop manufactors sites and see that this combo at 5200 RPM would give me 45mph. that would be fine with me, but i haven't found any hard numbers on max RPM. I've still got to loate a manual for my 91 115 Merc. I have seen a suggested range of 4750-5250 min/max WOT rpms. Anyone know for sure that max RPM.

I'm hoping to splash tomorrow, but my tach won't be in until next week. I'll have to be very careful to stay on the lower end of throttle as i have not adjusted the new cables.