Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Finally got the jack plate and mounted it yesterday. I made the 90 mile trip to the gulf coast to swap out my steering cable (they measure my old one and used a "formula" to convert it to the new rotary type from R&P and it was two feet too long. While there i bought some new SS fittings for my bow rail as the old pot metal ones that were coated had begun to peel. that was $85.00 worth all by themselves.

Got the sea dog switch panel, lights and bilge wired in early this morning. I hope to mount my 115 tonight. I'll have to see about repainting it in the future. It doesn't look too bad now.

Still got to find a spare tire before heading to branson with it. I've been told a ford ranger rim will fit it.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Brad, that transom brace looks MEGA strong! Nice work. :cool:

TII

I believe her to be solid. One piece of the flat bar had warped during the welding and it would not align perfectly parallel to the transom. If it breaks i'll have a big hole in the bottom and put the pool noodles to the test. :eek:

I got the motor mounted to the jack plate and the steering hooked up. I had a little difficulty making the bend due to the 6 inch set back, i think it is fine.

Got to finish the wiring, get a spare, mount controls, get a new battery, put the racor filter, ski pole, and she'll be ready to go. I'll may not have time to build the sliding doors just yet. I'm out of cash for now and won't finish with the padded vinyl until i sell the other 115 i bought. I wanted to fix it up since it is an 82 and the one i'm using is a 73, but the tires and front end on my truck set me way back. But it is all good:)

Triton II

Commander

But it is all good:)

Cool. Hmmm, yes, money. Never have enough when the boat needs it, yet there's always too much at tax time! :eek: Glad things are going well Brad... she's oh so close to splashdown! Cheers,

TII

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

AWESOME news tonight. I got the old 1973 Johson mounted, but decided to change the oil in the foot and put a new impeller in the water pump. That all went great, but i checked the compression on all 4 cylinders. IT WAS 120 all the way around. I couldn't believe it. Someone had to have rebuild it somewhere along the way.

I hope to get controls in tomorrow. Got to put a front end in the truck and do a wedding tomorrow, so I won't have much time to work on it. I looking to splash her next week sometime.

BTW the 1982 115 Johnson scored 120 on 3 and 110 on 1 cylinder. Bad news is that the Trim Motor is gone. The brushes were burned down to the copper cable. Lots of corrosion. I'll be looking up a new one (or used if i can find one)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard it said a boat is just a hole in the water in which we continue to cast our money. I'm beginning to believe it. Its all good though.

Ran out of cash and had to sell my 82 115, made a little extra, but I promised to get it going with a new trim motor, trim switch, and ignition switch. Really great couple that bought it.

I've got to get a new Battery (looking at interstate, stowaway, enegizer and the everstart) any suggestion on brand is appreciated. Cost is close to the same. Got to get new tires, windshield support poles, bilge pump, wire up the trailer lights, make the sliding doors for splash well, mount seats and get vinyl for the gunwall boards etc. So many little things to do.

I hope to splash (with interior incomplete) this week sometime. :cool:

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the 3 way valve and tanks mounted, battery locked down and wired into the harness. Tilt and trim, bilge and starter are all working fine. :D But, i have a problem with Nav lights. I checked the bulbs, and they are good. I plug into both the bow and stern lights, but no power. I checked power to the switch with bilge pump and it works fine. I switched the stern light's wires over thinking it was a ground issue, but no success.

I had some really strange stuff with my seadog 4 switch panel. The light in the switch for the bilge comes on when i turn on the nav light switch, but goes out when i switch it off. I've double checked everything and i am puzzled unless the lights have to be wired with postive and negative on specific sides. The bow and stern lights share a positive and are both grounded with seperate wires. That may be my issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated. :confused:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey buddy, I don't see any photos of your sweet progress! You are leaving us out in the cold here and it's the middle of summer!!

Cheers!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahhh, the power of conviction. Jas, here's the pics. I've not zip tied all of th wires as of yet. The gunwale panel board will be replaced and the wireing for the PT&T will be done better, but i'm trying to get her ready for vacation. I really don't like the way the control cables and harness have to sweep up from the controls, but i don't see how it could be done very differently unless i left the harness and control cables in the tray down the gunwale. :)

I tried the link for full size images from Photobucket, but no success.

Attachments

• Jackplate.jpg
    Jackplate.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1
  • RacorFilterandValve.jpg
    RacorFilterandValve.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Wireing.jpg
    Wireing.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice buddy! I wish I could give you some good suggestions but I am way behind you and have that IO deal going for me.

Rock on!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Splashed her down yesterday! Burned about 7 gallons pulling the kiddo's on the tube. Not many good pics. Main reason for trip was to adjust jackplate. I got the cavitation plate generating a small amount of spray at top end. I left the GPS at home so i didn't know the speed. Bummer is that i blew the front seal on my F-250 transmission when i was backing it up the slopped driveway after we returned home. That will be eith major bucks or major labor. I'll probably be doing the labor myself. :(

Attachments

• Familyfun.jpg
    Familyfun.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • FirstRide.jpg
    FirstRide.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1
  • splashdown.JPG
    splashdown.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks good from here! Sorry about the truck. There seems to be some kind of law that prevents everything mechanical from functioning all at the same time.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually its a curse. All things fail sooner or later. We are planning to go on vaction at the end of this month and i'd rather have it happen in the drive way than 600 miles from home so really it is a blessing.

Come to find out (diesel forum) it was caused when was backing up hill with my boat. I stopped for my son to move the ATV and the back tire of my truck rested against the concrete of the drive way. I torqued it up pretty good to jump the curb. In reverse the pressures are really high, i've learned a valuable lesson.

Anyway, i've got to get a tack hooked up so i can see what RPM's I'm turning at WOT. The ski pole is an awesome addition. Allows you to do so much more.

Two other problems. The carbs are leaking fuel while the engine is running. The upper seal in the foot around the shift shaft seems to be leaking a little now as well. The foot had "milky" oil when i changed it, but not oil had leaked out anywhere. Got to drop the foot and see if i can find that seal. It's all fun.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Bummer on the bad news, but in hindsight, look at the smiles on those kids faces...congrats just the same on the splash...won't be long until the bugs are worked out and then..........:D:D:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

BB, my carbs leaked like that too, turned out to be trash in the bowls and float adjustments. I had to replace two floats too.
My knee brace is shot too. Did you have to do anything where the brace is mounted to the bottom hull? I think I may need to install a few ss screws.
Congrats on the splash, a video would be great next time your out:D

North Beach

Commander

Brad, good to see you got the boat splashed. All the little stuff will work it'self out in time. Good Job Bud!!!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

BB, my carbs leaked like that too, turned out to be trash in the bowls and float adjustments. I had to replace two floats too.
My knee brace is shot too. Did you have to do anything where the brace is mounted to the bottom hull? I think I may need to install a few ss screws.
Congrats on the splash, a video would be great next time your out:D

Thanks, i have rebuilt the carbs. I'm running very rich. I got on the tube behind the boat and could taste gas. i've got adjust it all. She has done great on the vacation. My wife acutually got me up on the ski's today. first time in 16 years. Snatched me out and went as long as my out of shape fat boy body could go:D:D

I did not have to do anything to the bottom as the flex had taken place on the flanges of knee and the splash well which gave way first. Those were simple fixes.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Please tell us the wife took a video of you skiing:cool:
I glad you got the carbs worked out (sort of), and you are enjoying the vacation. Thanks for the info too.
And always remember to watch your backup pressure:eek:

Triton II

Commander

Brad, it's great to see you and the family enjoying the boat so much. Sorry to hear about the tranny seal, but I'm sure you'll get it fixed. Excellent work mate! :cool:

TII