Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Somone did a terrible prep job for the bottom paint that is currently on the boat. It stuck well in places, but it is flaking in others. I wished i could soda blast it and start from the aluminum up. I'll have to get some 100 grit for my sander and go to work. I have a little brush for my drill that i believe will work for the rivets.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Rivets brush fine, but the sanding is a slow go on the bottom coat. Even with 60 grit it peels slow. In most places i have bare aluminum before i get the bottom coat off. As i understand it that it what it supposed to do.

Would it be too risky to use a paint stripper if i avoided getting it on seams or rivets???

Also, i haven't heard back from my POR-15 Flex Coat guy. My concern with the Easy poxy is scratching. Any advice here would be welcomed.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easy poxy should be here tomorrow, but life has "interfered" with getting her ready to paint. Still a lot of bottom work to do. I just havn't spent the time on her i needed to.

I'm going to the aluminum on the bottom and just getting the dead paint off of the sides and top side. Am i righ to think i won't need a primer over the sanded original paint?

sprintst

Commander

I'm not familiar with the Easypoxy but the Interlux paint uses Primekote to go over existing paint.

Mine was bare aluminum so I used zinc chromate that etches in, then Interlux Ne2000 epoxy primer then VC performance epoxy.

PS Just looked for you and it looks like this gets used as a primer. I just also read that others on this forum have painted without it. An issue to watch out for is for colors to bleed through if you don't use a primer.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Pettit_Primers-PETTIT_EASYPOXY_PRIMER.html

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not familiar with the Easypoxy but the Interlux paint uses Primekote to go over existing paint.

Mine was bare aluminum so I used zinc chromate that etches in, then Interlux Ne2000 epoxy primer then VC performance epoxy.

PS Just looked for you and it looks like this gets used as a primer. I just also read that others on this forum have painted without it. An issue to watch out for is for colors to bleed through if you don't use a primer.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Pettit_Primers-PETTIT_EASYPOXY_PRIMER.html

Hey Sprintst,

Thanks for the research. I actuallly called a tech guy at easy poxy and they reccommend bare metal on the whole boat with a "thin" coat of the self etching primer i ordered. It has to be painted over within the first 8 hours according to him. I've got to go to the MS coast and there's a place there i can pick up the easypoxy primer so i won't have to worry about the color bleed.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost ready to pain the bottom. I have put in some major hours on the ablative paint. I have resorted to an angle grinder and soft brush. i have to be careful to go light, but it will cut it off. After that i use the orbital and vibratory sander. I know the rest of it will be a easy in comparison. A sandblaster (like rick's) would have been nice. Anyway, i hope to finish sanding this week and get some paint on her where i can flip her.

sprintst

Commander

Make sure to wear a mask when sanding that bottom paint.

You don't need to be hacking that stuff up...

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure to wear a mask when sanding that bottom paint.

You don't need to be hacking that stuff up...

TOO LATE! I coughed a good bit last night with the stuff. I put a fan on it and stayed up-wind as i finished it tonight. I got an orbital sander for father's day. I has made a vast difference in my progress. My 4" angle grinder bit the dust tonight. I think the brushes are gone.

The bottom is a shiny aluminum color (a bit scuffed, but shiny). I will sand the gun walls to remove the dead paint and prime it with Easypoxy 6145. I have the self etching primer for the bottom. I'm gonna check and see if it would be better to go over the etching primer w/ the 6145 before i hit it with the top coat. I'll hit it with a bit of sandpaper to make sure he white rust is gone and wipe down with mineral spirits before i begin the painting adventure.
It should be a chore to get most of the dust out of my garage before i begin painting!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll do my final sanding tonight. My new orbital sander really made the difference in getting through quickly.

I just have one question. The Easypoxy 6145 primer is not for bare metal. I have a few spots on the side of the boat that are exposed because i sanded through all of the paint unentionally, and some places were i had to for removal of adhesive from the graphics. Should those places give me any trouble if i do not use the self-etching primer.

I will be using the self etching on the bottom as it is all bar metal! I hope to paint her Friday evening:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would hit any bare metal with etching primer. I just don't think paint sticks to aluminum long term without it.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would hit any bare metal with etching primer. I just don't think paint sticks to aluminum long term without it.

Correctomendo, i called Pettit and they said to lightly brush all bare metal. The can says that it should not be over any other paints or primers, but the tech guy said a little would not cause many any trouble.

I hope to get the primer on Friday!!!!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the first coat of paint on the bottom, sides and transom. I went with the Easypoxy white, sunflower yellow (i lightened it a bit) and the ocean blue. I'll post pics later due to technicle difficulties.

The Easypoxy lays down great, but he 95 degree weather makes it tac too fast to completely smooth out. I may have to hit it with some rubbing compound and polish it out when done. Unfortunately the one quart of white was not enough as i mixed it with the yellow. My other quart will not be here until friday!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had to make a run to the MS Gulf Coast yesterday. Picked up some paint and put the finish coat on this morning, I hope to post pics tonight.

After i flip her over, i've got all of the wiring to do. The old bilge pump had shorted out and melted all of the wiring. I've seen a lot about breakers, relays, and fuses. What is the best or maybe least expensive way to "safely" wire everything up???

P.S. Got 75 noodles at the dollar tree for a buck each. I'm ready to flip it and get the floor cut, epoxied and riveted.

Huron Angler

Admiral

What is the best or maybe least expensive way to "safely" wire everything up???

Cheapest: no fuses OR inline fuses

Safest: 4-8 gang fused switchbox w/ all connections soldered and heatshrunk

I'm using inline fuses now but will be buying a box with fuses later on.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the pics of the self-etching primer (it dries super-fast) and couple of angles on the finish coat. I've go my sons working on the boat trailer so we can get her painted. I wanted to give the boat about 3 days to cure before i "stress" the paint.

The bottom is the Gloss white,
side is a 7:1 mix of the Easypoxy sunflower yellow and gloss white. I originally painted the side stripe with ocean blue, but swithced to electric blue. the topside with be electric blue with white interior. I have a guy who will match the new starcraft graphics and install them for 271.00.

Attachments

• Self-etchingprimer2.jpg
    Self-etchingprimer2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1048-2.JPG
    IMG_1048-2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
  • finalcoat22.jpg
    finalcoat22.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1

Triton II

Commander

Here's the pics of the self-etching primer (it dries super-fast) and couple of angles on the finish coat. I've go my sons working on the boat trailer so we can get her painted. I wanted to give the boat about 3 days to cure before i "stress" the paint.

The bottom is the Gloss white,
side is a 7:1 mix of the Easypoxy sunflower yellow and gloss white. I originally painted the side stripe with ocean blue, but swithced to electric blue. the topside with be electric blue with white interior. I have a guy who will match the new starcraft graphics and install them for 271.00.

Wow Brad, she looks great! Nice colour combination, there's a certain warmth to it. :cool:

TII

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Brad, she looks great! Nice colour combination, there's a certain warmth to it. :cool:

TII

Thanks for the encouragement. I have the boat trailer apart and the rain has kept me from painting it. I hope to hit it early in the morning. The only bad part is the trailer is made of channel and i wasn't able to get in the smaller channel pieces to sand her. I may just have to paint it the best i can where i can be the boat flipped over and back on it where i can put the interior in. :)

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice work brad! the paint looks sweet. can you sand blast the hard to reach spots, if not don't make a primer for rust.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

THanks jspano,
I really don't have the funds for sandblasting. Yes there is a primer for rust, but you have to knock the loose rust off. I'm gonna hope for the best with it all. My objective at the moment is the boat. I've got to put new hardware in all of the trailer rollers and bunks, other than that it will be functional and that is good enough for now. It will be really difficult to be motivated enough to get the trailer done if i don't finish it right the First time. :D

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i know, i felt bad putting time and money into the trailer(it's a good alum) when i really wanted to put it into the boat. but i had the boat off it so it was like now or never.