Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Starcraft

I think the 18' were always called Starchiefs. That Johnson looks exactly like my '73 which is the first not-electric shift year. However the '72s looked pretty much the same so it could be either. The control box will tell the tale. You're pretty well screwed in the TnT department. A factory unit for that vintage motor will cost you an arm and a leg. A CMC unit is a better investment. My '73 85 was a great motor and parts were still readily available.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Man had a 115 with no power tilt or trim. Damn near killed me lifting that thing. I was able to buy a lift unit for boutg 100 and it worked much better. What I notice is the motor looks nothing like my 200 1975 should be about the same.color and such. Would he take the motor off and controlls and come down on the boat price? be easier to work on and you can find a 115 or so motor that runs with T/T.
Am I right this is a Chieftan? Would you guys say buying this through Pay Pal, and he will store it for me till the weather improves, and I can pick it up is a good idea?
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Jas It is kind of a scary deal, as I would have to pay for it up front and not pick it up for 8 to 10 weeks

Heads up on the "Buyer Protection" part of PayPal - 45 days is your window as I understand it.

Cheers buddy!

dozerII

Admiral

Thank everyone for your input, I decided to pass on the boat. That motor with no TNT and running issues, the boat needs a transom and possibly a floor, as well as the way the deal had to come off, I just had to back away. Plus I think I would like to go with a boat at least 20' long, I think the 18 would have been a little tight for space.
Glen

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Thank everyone for your input, I decided to pass on the boat. That motor with no TNT and running issues, the boat needs a transom and possibly a floor, as well as the way the deal had to come off, I just had to back away. Plus I think I would like to go with a boat at least 20' long, I think the 18 would have been a little tight for space.
Glen

This boat is about an hour from me if your interested:

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/boa/2176074040.html

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Starman, but I'm kinka looking for a Starchief or Islander.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man that cabin is huge! What am I looking at there?

I like what he says...

"If you know how to work on boats and have a lot of time on your hands"

So true huh guys:D

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yeah it sure looks like the 25' Mark IV in this brochure.

Yah, good call guys. That has to be it. That first photo in his ad threw me a little. I dunno if it's the angle, or canvas, or what but the cabin looked disproportionally huge! A closer look makes sense it's the big Chief Mark IV.

Man what a sweet rig! Yah, at that price the driveline ought to be running like a top but I am betting otherwise.