Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

What do ya all think of this one?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/3028404773.html

The curiousty is driving me crazy!

Welcome to iboats! That Chief looks reasonably priced with that newer engine on it... id want to take it for a sea trial before dropping my $$ on it though. And look to see the condition of the transom. And probably the tires as well.

Bonair I've used that trick of emphasizing CASH numbers of times when buying junk donor boats... always seems to work very well! Perhaps you can't bottom feed a bottom feeder though! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Your bottom feeder mind tricks will not work on me, I am Master Bottom Feeder...You will give me 1,000 dollars....You will give me 1,000 dollars..

BonairII

Commander

Bonair I've used that trick of emphasizing CASH numbers of times when buying junk donor boats... always seems to work very well! Perhaps you can't bottom feed a bottom feeder though! :D

I'd imagine it's much easier to do it with junk boats cause the seller just wants the darn thing out of his/her yard.

BonairII

Commander

Welcome to iboats! That Chief looks reasonably priced with that newer engine on it... id want to take it for a sea trial before dropping my $$ on it though.

looks a good deal to me. If that motor runs reasonably well and the boats has no MAJOR problems looks like a nice rig. Of course, NEVER offer the seller what they're asking. ;)

90% of all sellers don't expect to get what they're asking anyway.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

looks a good deal to me. If that motor runs reasonably well and the boats has no MAJOR problems looks like a nice rig. Of course, NEVER offer the seller what they're asking. ;)

90% of all sellers don't expect to get what they're asking anyway.

And the other 10% are asking double what it is worth, and expect to get it.

BonairII

Commander

And the other 10% are asking double what it is worth, and expect to get it.

And then when it doesn't sell, you end up seeing an ad with the price reduced....and some rant in the ad about how it's worth so much more than he's asking.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And then when it doesn't sell, you end up seeing an ad with the price reduced....and some rant in the ad about how it's worth so much more than he's asking.

Let's not forget "the trailer alone is worth the asking price".

Or, " I can get 53 cents a pound for it at the scrap yard".

Yeah, in their dreams.

barato2

Commander

yeah, i've seen that "trailer value" line plenty of times:rolleyes:

OTOH, what does it say that we're all looking in the price range where the seller feels the need to emphasize that at least the durn TRAILER is worth something?;)

JAcobean, i like that boat. he already says best offer. but take the outboard checkout kit: battery/comp tester/plug wrench/hose/muffs/barrel. and crawl way up under the splashwell and probe with sharp object around very bottom of transom since this is usually where rot begins. be sure it has title and that your spouse if any won't evict you for bringing home a Giant Tin Thing

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

And often the trailer is not worth anywhere NEAR what they claim it is! I tried the CASH method again today.... took a few more $$ off the asking price :) What can I say, I needed some U-bolt and the boat followed me home :D

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Last edited:

jacobean 08

Cadet

Barato you and Roscoe going to keep me on the staiaght and narrow?

Thanks for the advice on the boat and the marriage.

BonairII

Commander

Just an FYI.....I've had nothing, but good luck when I actually placed a "Wanted" ad on CL when I've been looking for a boat etc. instead of just waiting for things to pop up for sale on CL.

Got my SS by placing an ad looking for a Starcraft and had at least a dozen replies with people willing to part with their boats.
Found my Glasspar FB boat the same way

Found seats, bimini top, and other misc boat stuff the same way.

I'm guessing that there are a lot of people that surf CL to buy things, but don't actually place ads to try and sell the stuff they have sitting around their own homes.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just an FYI.....I've had nothing, but good luck when I actually placed a "Wanted" ad on CL when I've been looking for a boat etc. instead of just waiting for things to pop up for sale on CL.

Agreed on that. I got my boat lift that way, the guy responded within a couple hours. Also got a free picnic table another time. (I got no pride.)

barato2

Commander

Bonair, i think you're especially right in the case of boats....people don't want to go to the trouble of fixing em up to sell, and don't want to confront the ugly reality that it ain't worth what they'd like it to be.....so the boat sits in the back yard. until you prompt/force some thought on the issue by suggesting that they could turn their dilemma into $ in hand.......

Jacobean, not trying to give you too much input into your marriage......but most people visualize something the size of a 16' Bayliner Capri when you say you bought "a boat".....then you haul home something that (altho it weighs abt the same as said Bayliner) looks like a bluddy DESTROYER sizewise....always good to prepare people for the shock.;) "Honey, i shrunk the back yard" :D

BonairII

Commander

I believe another reason that people won't list their boats(or whatever) on CL....is their fear of shady characters coming to their homes to look at the items.

I just placed an ad today for a 17pitch (13spline) prop, hopefully my good luck will continue.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I believe another reason that people won't list their boats(or whatever) on CL....is their fear of shady characters coming to their homes to look at the items.

I just placed an ad today for a 17pitch (13spline) prop, hopefully my good luck will continue.

Had a guy last weekend SHOW UP at my door Sat morning at 8:00 am..
I was away on the road and emailed him from my work email with my name..He couldnt wait and freeking went online to to the public records and pulled up my home address..