Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

remember that 25' cruiser with the 260hp V8 for $1500 OBO? i went and looked at it yesterday.

either Starcraft makes em out of cotton and they shrink when they get wet, or the lady was really confused and what i saw when she opened the door of the storage shed was in fact an 18' holiday with 120hp Murkcruiser. it's 67 vintage, nice shape and probably the most original Holiday i've seen in a while....just the way it left the factory. even the original funky 60s steering wheel. no hull dents and paint in decent shape; would just need a few hrs with rubbing compound. floors and transom looked solid, steers and shifts OK. trailer looks great. didn't bother turning it over (since i already have an 18' Holiday) but if she's right that it is water ready with a battery and some fresh gas, would be a solid package for someone, and a lot less work than most of these crocks we buy.

i gave her the correct info to put in her ad for the boat and she was going to relist it starting at more like 1000. they have a deadline because they're moving into an RV and are in a "must sell" situ. ironically, it might move faster when correctly listed cuz i think "260hp V8" might scare folks off in the days of $4+ gas.

is she was right about it being water ready??

if you think an 18 ft boat is 25 feet, you are in no postion to determine if it is water ready!! ha ha

bob

barato2

Commander

good point. likewise confusing a ski boat with a cabin cruiser or a 4 cyl with a V8. still not sure where she got all that. oh well; another joy of bottom feeding is that it's like saltwater fishing: you never know what sort of nightmare is at the end of your line til you can see it......

Gibbles

Commander

another joy of bottom feeding is that it's like saltwater fishing: you never know what sort of nightmare is at the end of your line til you can see it......

I love it; you nailed it right on the head!

It's like an adventure, and it's always the worst pictures/no pictures, with a bad description that ends up paying off (1% of the time)

I think I need to add that to my sig line... :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I particularly like the roof sheeting clips you can see a the bottom of pix #2 along the joint between 2 sheets:facepalm: I'm thinking that joint 'might' not be waterproof let alone watertight to keep water out of the bilge.............

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I particularly like the roof sheeting clips you can see a the bottom of pix #2 along the joint between 2 sheets:facepalm: I'm thinking that joint 'might' not be waterproof let alone watertight to keep water out of the bilge.............

Only screws or rivets - no roofing clips, JB. If water gets in a tinny it ends up in the bilge anyway. Now wet foam, pool noodles or insulation is a possibility.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Only screws or rivets - no roofing clips, JB. If water gets in a tinny it ends up in the bilge anyway. Now wet foam, pool noodles or insulation is a possibility.

Sorry GA, I actually was thinking 'How unbelievably dumb' it was, not that I thought it was a good idea. Mostly for the wet foam etc etc that you mentioned. They probably filled the underdeck & bilge w/ water soluble green packing peanuts:facepalm: Most definitely a non-Iboats approved rehab......

Thanks for looking out just the same!:)

BTW: At least the clips are tin....

barato2

Commander

Bunker--

the floors looked usable with no soft spots but not pretty. bare plywood on most of em. but i think would be quite usable as is.
one thing i forgot to mention that is indicative of the condition of the boat was the step pads....they are black rubber and looked durn near new. and she's wrong on it needing a paint job, i was able to clean it up nicely with a kleenex and saliva; with rubbing compound job, it would look good. all that said, i still think she's way high on her pricing. the thing is in a storage unit, blocked in by sevl of those way-heavy jobsite boxes, and i saw no place to hook up a hose for a motor test. so anyone buying her would have to gamble a bit on motor being good. given that and facts that they were given the boat and they need to sell it, i would think she'd be pretty negotiable onvce a little more time passes. i saw titles to both boat and trlr. ironically, she could prolly get more $ scrapping the hull and selling the parts on fleebay than selling the boat whole.

i assume that if you're looking at the Farmington boat, the $400 16' in ABQ is sold?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Based on researching the year of my Jet, and the info here <<--- Makes me think it's pre 1965 Jet. 15' is not necessarily an actual 15', my 15' Jet is 14' 9" transom to bow tip, to be sure you need to know accurate length. Beyond that, if it's the original windshield, it matches mine, and is pre-1965.

If the motor will crank, fire & run, ONLY in a big barrel of water, never w/out, the trailer is decent to get it home, and the boat's not a total wreck, you might make a great deal w/ that 1....

BUT BE WARY OF TITLELESS BOATS. You can never tell w/ some people, if their selling the boat w/out documentation of ownership.....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks like a Jetstar....

Yeah, I'm still not clear on how they 'look' different, but they are a different length & have different seating arrangements, and don't they have a nifty little embossed star on the stern gunwale end cap trim pieces....

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah it'd be a cool boat to restore but it scares me about the title situation so I'm thinkin I'm gonna steer clear of that one for now.

jbcurt00

Staff member

WV has rules to follow to secure a new title, but you'd have to gauge the seller carefully... Sometimes a deal is too good to be legitimate, sometimes sellers don't know what they have or what it's 'worth'. As evidenced from barato's posts above....

Good luck w/ your continued search

jbcurt00

Staff member

Attn Ohio Starmada:

ad:
STARCRAFT 18 FT 140 hp MERC CR. TILT TRAILER, STORED A COUPLE YEARS. MOTOR WON'T TURN OVER.. PULLED PLUGS OIL IN CYL. NOT BROKE..GOOD OUT DRIVE. GAUGES, CABLES ETC. THE BOAT IS NOT DENTED, DOES NOT LEAK. IT NEEDES REPAINTED. SEE PHOTOS. I MAY PART OUT AN JUNK THE ALUM HULL.. THIS CAN BE A NICE PROJECT..MAKE OFFER.. TRADE? JUNK PRICE AT $ 600.00 !!! TEX OR CALL 419-3XX-XXXX THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.. BUY AS IS. I HAVE A CLEAR TITLE..

http://sandusky.craigslist.org/boa/2991048371.html
5Ia5F45He3kf3Ld3Fcc513e53cf352b1e16.jpg

The bow triangle & rivets are there, but the transom shot does make it look like a glasser....