Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

sguerrero

Cadet
Re: Starcraft on clist!

Going to look at this one on Sunday. What do you think of the price? I'm trying to figure out what yr the motor is. Talked to the guy and he said it is a Mid 80's but I can't find a Javelin reference newer than 78. He said the floors have been redone, but I'll pull them anyway to see what is underneath, and gluvit the seams. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/boa/2552439586.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Price seems fair. I think the motor is a '78-'80. If it was an '81 or newer, it'd be a 90HP.

djmeaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What would you pay for this one?

Found a '74 SS on CL in New England (no pics) but I did speak with the seller.

He bought the boat back in January from and estate sale and has decided he doesn't have time for the project. (Apparently the boat was sitting for nearly 20 years waiting to be restored before the seller bought it.)

Floor is out of boat, but seller has already purchased 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood (uncut) for floor. He also has used, but nice, back-to-back passenger seats and captain's pedestal seat. He is also throwing in new indoor/outdoor carpet. He says the hull is sound with good paint and the transom appears solid.

The trailer is a Shorelander with 2 new tires, winch and dolly.

The motor is an Evinrude 125HP (I think that makes it a 70 - 72?). He says he bought it used this year for $400, but has never seen it run or tried to run it. Right now it's on a hoist ready to be mounted on the boat. He says if I can figure out a way to test the motor before the sale he is okay with that -- any thoughts on how test a motor on a hoist (compression test - maybe)?

He is asking $900,which is what he says he has invested so far including the cost of the motor? I would be more interested if I new I could test the motor.

Thanks,
Dan

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Dan, it definitely sounds like there's over $900 worth of stuff there. I think it would be a good deal even if the motor turned out to be bad. You could make some money back if you had to part it out. Yes, a 125 is probably a pre-'73 electric shifter which isn't ideal but if it runs and shifts I'd certainly run it. You can check compression if you can crank it with the starter.