Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

raynestorm

Cadet
Re: Starcraft on clist!

Hello,

I'm new here, but have been looking for a Starcraft Holiday 18 for fishing Lake Michigan. I was actually looking at one of the boats posted on craigslist. I just learned about V5 a minute ago, and it appears that this boat is a v5. I am in the process of looking for a motor for it. I eventually am going to buy a new etec 4-5 years down the road for it, but for now I need to pick up an older motor to get it on the water fishing. What horsepower can I get away with on this hull? Keep in mind that I will be trolling with this motor, most of the time.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/2531967874.html

thanks,
Ben

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hello,

I'm new here, but have been looking for a Starcraft Holiday 18 for fishing Lake Michigan. I was actually looking at one of the boats posted on craigslist. I just learned about V5 a minute ago, and it appears that this boat is a v5. I am in the process of looking for a motor for it. I eventually am going to buy a new etec 4-5 years down the road for it, but for now I need to pick up an older motor to get it on the water fishing. What horsepower can I get away with on this hull? Keep in mind that I will be trolling with this motor, most of the time.

thanks,
Ben

Welcome aboard Ben

That is a NICE NICE Holiday! The paint looks good!
I guess it needs work on the floor instead of wool..lol
As stated in the ad up to 140 hp, but I bet a 90 would push her nicely.
The eggbeater club will chime in soon! Go buy that thing!!!

raynestorm

Cadet

After doing a bunch of research, I believe I am going to take it. I was interested in a bit of a restore. I talked to they guy and the outside has been done, but the floor is junk. He said the seats were okay, but I will have to look at them. I found this forum and have been reading non stop, I am impressed with all of you guys and your starcrafts! Being here should make this light rebuild go smooth and quick! I just need to find a motor for it yet. I have one lined up, but need to work out the details of price first.

Thanks,

Ben

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Cool..Hell I paid 800 for mine and it was a mess!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello,

thanks,
Ben

Yeah, Id jump on that one for sure.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello,

thanks,
Ben

I agree with the other guys real nice hull for the money if as good as it looks I wouldn't think twice.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been contemplating this one for a week now. Reeeaaalllyyy want to pull the trigger on it but I'd like to at least talk the guy down on the price.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/2540645620.html

What do you think a fair offer would be?

What are some specifics I should look for when going to check this thing out? What are some good questions to ask? This will be my first boat so I'm pretty green.

Are those seats up front an original layout of as this thing been modified or even possibly restored?

DDawg

Cadet

As clean as that rig looks sje, I'd say that's a fair price if everything checks out!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed. If that floor is solid and shes water ready, that's a great price...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What do you think a fair offer would be?

What are some specifics I should look for when going to check this thing out? What are some good questions to ask? This will be my first boat so I'm pretty green.

Are those seats up front an original layout of as this thing been modified or even possibly restored?

Watch some Pawn Stars shows, even though he says firm. Bring 13 $100 bills and 4 $50's and make an offer after you bounce on the deck, check transom, start motor on muffs or test on water, see how current the registration is. It is a good price, but still it doesn't hurt to try to save a few bucks.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet! Thanks for the opinions. I'm going to call the guy in a bit. Hopefully he still has it. I shot him an email yesterday asking questions but he refused to answer. He said I had to call. I guess he doesn't want scammers? What's the best way to make sure the motor is in sound condition? I've never done a compression test before so I'd hate to look like a fool trying to do it for the first time in front of this guy. Just hook it up to some muffs and run it? Is it OK to take it to WOT for a few seconds on muffs?

Sorry for the beginner questions. Gotta learn some way. :redface:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately sje0123, I've been seeing that boat for sale off and on for YEARS. So I'm wondering what's up with it. Perhaps it's not the same owner but I've definitely seen it multiple times.