Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft on clist!

Sweet! Thanks for the opinions. I'm going to call the guy in a bit. Hopefully he still has it. I shot him an email yesterday asking questions but he refused to answer. He said I had to call. I guess he doesn't want scammers? What's the best way to make sure the motor is in sound condition? I've never done a compression test before so I'd hate to look like a fool trying to do it for the first time in front of this guy. Just hook it up to some muffs and run it? Is it OK to take it to WOT for a few seconds on muffs?

Sorry for the beginner questions. Gotta learn some way. :redface:

If you want to do a compression check, pull all the spark plugs and check each cylinder one at a time by cranking for a few seconds. Make sure the lowest compression is no more than 20% lower than the highest number. Also, its not a good idea to run ANY motor at WOT while on muffs, for any length of time.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/2545491036.html

What do you guys this of this one? I'm going to go look at next weekend. It's about three hours from my house but he's going to the Selfridge Air Show as well so he's going to put it in St. Clair for me. Anything I should look for? It sounds like he has a pile of reciepts. I'll be leaving this one in lake erie for the weekends and I think it would fit the bill nicely. He said the outdrive was rebuilt in 2004 and he's the original owner!!!!:eek:

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately sje0123, I've been seeing that boat for sale off and on for YEARS. So I'm wondering what's up with it. Perhaps it's not the same owner but I've definitely seen it multiple times.

He said he has had it off and on over the years. He recently redid it so maybe that's why?

If you want to do a compression check, pull all the spark plugs and check each cylinder one at a time by cranking for a few seconds. Make sure the lowest compression is no more than 20% lower than the highest number. Also, its not a good idea to run ANY motor at WOT while on muffs, for any length of time.

Understood. I figured as much.

I did go and check it out. I looked the whole thing over bow to stern. Overall, it's in pretty decent shape. Here are a few of my concerns.

The boat has been restored. New floor, carpeting, seats, etc. I couldn't confirm whether he had sealed the flooring at all. Didn't think to ask at the time. I'll call later this week to ask. The gas tank is plastic and new.

The transom needs to be redone. Looks like the PPO (Previous Previous Owner) had installed a fish finder. He drilled right in and did a half ***** sealing job and the transom has rotted. Not a huge concern. I was ripping on it pretty good and it looks like I could finish the season the way it is then redo it over the winter. This most recent owner though drilled straight down thru the top to check the wood. He said he got dry wood until about the last foot or so on the starboard side. Not sure why he did it as most of the transom wood is visible from looking at the front of it:confused: Either way, no huge concern. Just a little metal filling.

Wiring in the engine is a little rotted. I figure it's to be expected considering its age. There were about 4 wires exposed. He had them temporarily wrapped up in tape but it's a concern. Again, not a hard fix for me.

The engine ran strong (or as strong as it can on muffs.) F-N-R all good. Seems he's a little rich on the oil as it was smoking pretty good. He was at the bottom of the gas tank as well though.

All lights, gauges, etc seemed to check out just fine.

No dents in the hull. Some rivets had been sealed. According to him, during the restoration when removing the front bench seats those has become loose. Makes sense.

Paint is dull. Could maybe come back with a little elbow grease.

Trailer is in good shape. Little rust spots here and there. Tires low on air from sitting I'm guessing.

The last registration sticker showed as '06 but he claimed he had it out 2 yrs ago so who knows about that.

I went in and offered him just over half of what he was asking. Lowest he would go is $1200. He said if he cant sell it for $1200 he is going to part it out. Not sure how he figures he can get $1200 from a part out, but what do I know? I'd feel more comfortable at $1000 even though. I told him I'd call him later this week.

Overall, I'm on the fence. I'd love for a sea trial, but if he's not going to come down off the price I'm not going to waste his time. I figure with the way it is I have to put some time and money into it. Especially with the transom issue. Transom is more time than money though.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I went in and offered him just over half of what he was asking. Lowest he would go is $1200. He said if he cant sell it for $1200 he is going to part it out. Not sure how he figures he can get $1200 from a part out, but what do I know? I'd feel more comfortable at $1000 even though. I told him I'd call him later this week.

Sje keep in mind this is an 18 foot SS !! With a running motor new, seats decent hull, trailer, etc...I offered 1500 for a nasty ugly one last year (total resto) guy was asking 2k , now it's at a dealer for 3200...... I live in Old Starcraft heaven and its rare to see an 18' SS in that condition for 1200.00 If that is the type of hull You want that is a good deal in My opinion. I'll be surprised if it sits too long at that price.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If the OMC is in decent shape it's a good drive. You'd be shocked at the dock manners. Turns on a dime and returns change! Parts are available. I wouldn't be scared off because of the OMC. The price is nice if the hull is as stated.

Sorry but nope...I could never be talked into an OMC powered boat..

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sje keep in mind this is an 18 foot SS !! With a running motor new, seats decent hull, trailer, etc...I offered 1500 for a nasty ugly one last year (total resto) guy was asking 2k , now it's at a dealer for 3200...... I live in Old Starcraft heaven and its rare to see an 18' SS in that condition for 1200.00 If that is the type of hull You want that is a good deal in My opinion. I'll be surprised if it sits too long at that price.

I know, I know. I'm looking for a steal... errrr deal... What can I say? :p

raynestorm

Cadet

Hey crew,

I'm bummed, guy that I agreed to buy the 18' Holiday V5 from sold it to someone else before I could get there. Kinda pissed cuz he said it was mine.... So, I am now looking for another 18' Holiday V5, so if anyone can help me locate one, I would be greatly appreciated. I prefer close to Wisconsin. Also outboard no I/O. I don't need a motor, as I had bought one for the boat that I was supposed to purchase.... grrrr... But I won't turn down a boat with a good motor.

Thanks,

Ben

theviking64

Seaman

Hey crew,

I'm bummed, guy that I agreed to buy the 18' Holiday V5 from sold it to someone else before I could get there. Kinda pissed cuz he said it was mine.... So, I am now looking for another 18' Holiday V5, so if anyone can help me locate one, I would be greatly appreciated. I prefer close to Wisconsin. Also outboard no I/O. I don't need a motor, as I had bought one for the boat that I was supposed to purchase.... grrrr... But I won't turn down a boat with a good motor.

Thanks,

Ben

I hate people like that. Don't be bummed though. If he is that type of person, the boat probably had gremlins that he wouldn't have disclosed to you. Thats how those kinds of losers work.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I hate people like that. Don't be bummed though. If he is that type of person, the boat probably had gremlins that he wouldn't have disclosed to you. Thats how those kinds of losers work.

Agreed, I had one sold out from under me AFTER driving 2 hours. Called when I got to the off ramp and he said, OH, I JUST SOLD IT!

Sonnnnnofabeeeeech!

But the brightside? It was a 16 foot tri-hull glasser with a 50 hp eggbeater...bleeeech!

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boats all mine. I pick it up today. Guess I'm now a member of the club. :D

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately sje0123, I've been seeing that boat for sale off and on for YEARS. So I'm wondering what's up with it. Perhaps it's not the same owner but I've definitely seen it multiple times.

Headed out in about an hour to pick it up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! Maybe I'll see you out on the bay sometime.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

17' Capri on South Jersey CL

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2519436189.html

I found this the other day, the same seller had another boat for sale that I looked at and bought. He's basically just selling it for what he's got in the trailer. The hull is real nice, the deck is solid and the hull clean looking. It just needs to be put together.
The seller has it listed for the sum of the parts he put in the trailer, the boat is a gift.
It's a cool bunk trailer with two light duty axles. Its really more of a speed boat type trailer but fits that trihull like a glove. If someone wanted a cheap trihull, I'd bet he'd let the boat go cheap by itself. If I didn't already have a yard full of boats I'd have myself another winter project.