Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Vinyl window glazing would be a better option over silicone on your AL frames. I used the stuff that is barbed where it goes inside the channel. The thing is you have to get the measurements exact for your particular window channel and I'm not sure what yours would be but it looks like this.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"135","width":"135","src":"https:\/\/www.glassdistributorsinc.com\/media\/catalog\/product\/cache\/1\/small_image\/135x135\/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95\/D\/7\/D754C.gif"**[/IMG2]

Perfect, that’s the stuff. I wonder if your typical glass shops would carry something like that

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Wow, tough to find. I’ve been to automotive and commercial glass shops...nada.

Tried sourcing on line for 1/4” glazing channel like the 3/16” size you found. Nada

I might have to Gerry-rig this thing temporarily

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Finally got some fishing time in. New to me 8 hp Evinrude ran like a champ for 10 hours today. I just finished rebuilding the carb about a month ago. No sweaters no hiccoughs no nothing. Purred all day long. And not a drop of water came out of the bilge when I pulled the drain plug. After spending all day and swells and chop.

I will probably gut the rest of this boat by late October for the remainder of the interior work over the winter.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hope everyone is doing ok through this Pandemic. Crazy times right now. I didn't do anything on the boat all wiinter. A whole home reno put that project on the shelf.

Seeing as the mild weather is here again and my reno is officially stalled with all non-essentail businesses being closed, I might dig in and do the rest of the floors. The parks and launches are all closed so I'm going to miss the spring opener anyway.

I guess it all hinges on if I can get the old Merc. 650 to run.I'm hoping to get one more year out of it until I can put a 70 or 75 OMC on it. I was having ignition issues last year and I didnt fog it before it sat outside all winter...oops. We'll see if its a runner or for parts.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. We'll get through this horrible time.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. So many other projects around the house and busy with life that my SS has been a bit neglected. Finally getting back into it and waiting on parts/tools to arrive by mail so I can hopefully get my motor running.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wouldn't worry so much about the motor after sitting through the winter, I've had a Johnson and couple of Mercs that sat for many years without being ran. All I did was fogging oil the carb throats while turning the starter and shoot some in each open plug hole.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I had it running a week ago, but then it snowed twice!!

3 inches on the ground when I got up this morning.

Warm weather coming and launches should be opening soon.

Watermann

Yikes. that's not May weather. I was out on the water the past 3 days and got some serious sun up in the 80s. Fish are biting too! :tan:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Yikes. that's not May weather. I was out on the water the past 3 days and got some serious sun up in the 80s. Fish are biting too! :tan:

yup, freak weather for sure. Its been a really cold crappy April. We've been spoiled for the last decade, so I guess I have to suck it up

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
And the long slow road continues. I'm like a tortise with this project. Not much to update except for ordering my seat bases, pedistals and slides. I'm now looking into AGM batteries and onboard chargers. I'll lkely keep picking away at piling this stuff up so I'm ready to rebuild this winter.

I did get out ONCE before they COVID-locked the local launches again. They are supposed to reopen next weekend.

And in my search for a newer motor to replace the old 1975 Merc (which still seems to run ok, touch wood), I cannot find a nice 1986 and up 60 or 70 OMC ANYWHERE. I've dragged home 3 legit but "mechanically questionable" motors and they are all parts motors. The 2 nice ones I did look at had the serial tags removed...no thanks! I'm starting to think I'm going to have to buy new.

I even considered buying a whole boat to flip the merc onto and re-sell, but I dont think this is the year to try and sell anything. I wonder if people are thinking the same causing a lack of goods on the used market?

Watermann

While one the best 16'r motors, the 3cyl Johnnyrude 70 HP is a pain to work on doing the water pump on going maintenance compared to the Merc's. Mainly the shift rod on the OMC and not having the new driveshaft seal in the bottom water pump housing like the Mercs.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
While one the best 16'r motors, the 3cyl Johnnyrude 70 HP is a pain to work on doing the water pump on going maintenance compared to the Merc's. Mainly the shift rod on the OMC and not having the new driveshaft seal in the bottom water pump housing like the Mercs.

thanks, NOW you tell me...

More like, serves me right for not being on here in time.

I just found this out the hard way last night...

I picked up a 60 VRO and assumed it would drop out as easy as my 1975 merc 65hp. Noooo. Its still hanging there because I couldnt disengage the shift rod. I'll be back at it tonight. I'm really not looking forward to RE-ENGAGING said shift rod!!

Watermann

That shift rod threads in too and if it twists any at all the shift will be out of whack and you'll have to drop it again and re-adjust. Do something like tape it in place so it doesn't turn.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Excellent thanks for that tip.

I don’t have to worry to much about this one. It’s getting dismantled and parted out. Powerhead is roasted. I’m learning a lot just taking it apart

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I tore my 1974/77 70 HP Evinrude all the way down to the power head and took it off the unit. Put it back together with new gaskets, which caused some issues but that is another story. With that said, I have had a love/hate relationship with her. I have put so much effort and time into making her work I don't want to give her up. So I keep tinkering on her when things break and such, but she is a 50 year old engine...

With that said, there is no sound I love more when on the water then hearing her roar. Well that and my Mini Admiral screaming for me to go faster and screaming for joy when she gets hit by spray.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I tore my 1974/77 70 HP Evinrude all the way down to the power head and took it off the unit. Put it back together with new gaskets, which caused some issues but that is another story. With that said, I have had a love/hate relationship with her. I have put so much effort and time into making her work I don't want to give her up. So I keep tinkering on her when things break and such, but she is a 50 year old engine...

With that said, there is no sound I love more when on the water then hearing her roar. Well that and my Mini Admiral screaming for me to go faster and screaming for joy when she gets hit by spray.

SHSU

I acquired a 75 hp OMC. 1977. Came with the boat my brother bought as a spare engine. Excellent compression. Had water intrusion so I’m sure the bearings are at questionable... but I have it on the stand now. Thinking about swapping out the gaskets, get it running and if it seems to run well enough on the stand I might swap it out on the boat and go have some fun. See if it grenades LOL. At least I know if the bottom end is any good. And I can sell that off.

and enjoy the memories with your mini admiral. Before you know it they are moved out and halfway across the country. Enjoy the time