Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anyone have any opinions or comments about this unit? Appreciate it.

Lowrance Hook Reveal 7x TripleShot Fish Finder (000-15515-001)​

$399.98
$579.99*
That part number does not included maps
The Lowrance HOOK Reveal 7X TripleShotis more than just a fishfinder, mark waypoints and navigate to them thanks to the internal GPS. Even though the 7x unit does not have mapping built-in, you can create your own custom maps with ½’ contour lines with Genesis Live.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That part number does not included maps
The Lowrance HOOK Reveal 7X TripleShotis more than just a fishfinder, mark waypoints and navigate to them thanks to the internal GPS. Even though the 7x unit does not have mapping built-in, you can create your own custom maps with ½’ contour lines with Genesis Live.
Thanks Dingbat,
Yep. I see a lot of tricky variables need to be plugged in. Some of what I've researched says chord is short for tranducer, transducer is large and gps is not quite as good as other mfr's at this price point.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Dingbat,
Yep. I see a lot of tricky variables need to be plugged in. Some of what I've researched says chord is short for tranducer, transducer is large and gps is not quite as good as other mfr's at this price point.
Any unit with side scan will have a large transducer. It’s basically two or three transducers in one housing

They all (mfg) use the same 10 MHz gps chip. The difference are the map(s) included with the unit.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Any unit with side scan will have a large transducer. It’s basically two or three transducers in one housing

They all (mfg) use the same 10 MHz gps chip. The difference are the map(s) included with the unit.
Ding,
Thanks for your input.
Looks like this would be the model I'm interested in. Just the pricing
chokes me up. I'll have to do some comparative shopping. Series below the 7" screen don't appear to offer side scan. Ie 5" screen but pricing gets a little better.
5"................$349.00
https://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Units/Chart-Plotters/Lowrance-HOOK-Reveal-5-with-US-Inland-Lakes-and-Splitshot-Transducer?msclkid=a3fff61ba7831317017495b21238bf4b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping PLA&utm_term=4581596244938343&utm_content=Merchant Centerscreen

7" screen w/triple shot.............$700.00

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
@dingbat
Thanks for your feedback. This unit incorporates all my needs instead of making compromises.
I ended up going with this unit;
Buying boat stuff is like a BAD FEVER! More beers smarter decisions LOL!

LOWRANCE HOOK REVEAL 7 CHARTPLOTTER/FISHFINDER TRIPLESHOT CHARTS, GENISIS LIVE,
Decent price on ebay.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like this would be the model I'm interested in. Just the pricing
chokes me up. I'll have to do some comparative shopping. Series below the 7" screen don't appear to offer side scan. Ie 5" screen but pricing gets a little better.
5"................$349.00
https://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Units/Chart-Plotters/Lowrance-HOOK-Reveal-5-with-US-Inland-Lakes-and-Splitshot-Transducer?msclkid=a3fff61ba7831317017495b21238bf4b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping PLA&utm_term=4581596244938343&utm_content=Merchant Centerscreen

7" screen w/triple shot.............$700.00
The one thing I did notice is that they advertise this particular unit as a fish finder with an ability to display (basic) charts. It will not run/support the detailed charting you would find on your better units.

It boils down to what’s most important to you.

As a fisherman. I want real CHIRP sonar and a full featured chart plotter that runs the most detailed and frequently updated charts.

Thirsty Endgrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
AFAIK, this is their higher end offering, with a better (brighter) screen thank the reveal series. It's a very good deal right now. Same price as the hook reveal for a more full featured unit.

Check this out!
https://a.co/2WH4zzs

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The one thing I did notice is that they advertise this particular unit as a fish finder with an ability to display (basic) charts. It will not run/support the detailed charting you would find on your better units.

It boils down to what’s most important to you.

As a fisherman. I want real CHIRP sonar and a full featured chart plotter that runs the most detailed and frequently updated charts.
Whoops...wrong unit post.
This is exactly what I purchased. Genisis provides active charts. Lakes/coast.

1672074196905.png

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
AFAIK, this is their higher end offering, with a better (brighter) screen thank the reveal series. It's a very good deal right now. Same price as the hook reveal for a more full featured unit.

Check this out!
https://a.co/2WH4zzs
Thanks TE
Takes me to a weird link;

Thirsty Endgrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks TE
Takes me to a weird link;
Hmm, try this one maybe.

Lowrance HDS-Live Fish Finder, Multi-Touch Screen, Live Sonar Compatible, Preloaded C-MAP US Enhanced Mapping https://a.co/d/6UeAXQQ

Looks like you already got one, but if you wanted to send back and upgrade for what I think is the same price currently, well then you have that option 😉

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hmm, try this one maybe.

Lowrance HDS-Live Fish Finder, Multi-Touch Screen, Live Sonar Compatible, Preloaded C-MAP US Enhanced Mapping https://a.co/d/6UeAXQQ

Looks like you already got one, but if you wanted to send back and upgrade for what I think is the same price currently, well then you have that option 😉
WOW! I like that unit with touch screen. Costs keep inching up. It is @ $200.00 more. I'm
kicking me arse for grabbing the one above. I'll need a few days to swallow that down and won't care after it shows up I guess.
Next/now I'm about to pull the trigger on the cuddy interior vinyl material
for finish and that stuff comes with a price tag too.
Thanks for all your feedback and support.
Kevin

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
This is what I decided to do with the cabin interior vinyl. Off white perforated no foam backing. I'm applying it to a plastic corrugated board. 1673395800776.png

8x Perforated (Dotted) Headliner Marine Vinyl Fabric - Flexa - By The Yard / Off White for $5.99 each
I'll probably do an offset color in other areas.
1673395800776.png

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well as it goes the vinyl came unperforated so waiting on the reship. Very good customer service.
On another note, let me know if you have any opinions or recommendations.
Started reviewing marine radios. This unit caught my attention.
1674080991534.png

zool

Captain
That Cobra seems ok because it has built in GPS and DSC capable. Personally, Im a fan of Icom, the Icom M330g can be had for a similar price. DSC is cool because when an MMSI number is programmed, anyone can just press the red button in an emergency. None of that matters if out of vhf range, which is limited on smaller boats with shorter antennas. An EPIRB onboard solves that.
If u have a chartplotter onboard, you can save some coin getting a unit without gps built in, if it can talk to the MFD plotter.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the feedback Larry. I like the gps built in and the push of a button
to send distress call. Forgot about the epirbs. I'll have to do more research
on that too as I move along.

zool

Captain
Thanks for the feedback Larry. I like the gps built in and the push of a button
to send distress call. Forgot about the epirbs. I'll have to do more research
on that too as I move along.
Alot of what safety equipment you need depends on how far offshore you intend to go. With your single older 2 stroke, and limited fuel, you will most likely be inside 20 fathoms or so, with that you will most likely be in vhf range of shoreline coastguard. You will most likely be within range of other boats inside the 20. At a minimum I would want in this order:

Fixed VHF and backup handheld
EPIRB
Raft
Ditch bag with PLB

Keep in mind that in cooler water like off Jersey, hypothermia can set in in an hour or so, sharks are always around. I wont head offshore anymore without all of those plus some. I used to go out to 30 fathoms plus, with just a basic vhf, and loran C. Makes me cringe now just thinking of that.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Alot of what safety equipment you need depends on how far offshore you intend to go. With your single older 2 stroke, and limited fuel, you will most likely be inside 20 fathoms or so, with that you will most likely be in vhf range of shoreline coastguard. You will most likely be within range of other boats inside the 20. At a minimum I would want in this order:

Fixed VHF and backup handheld
EPIRB
Raft
Ditch bag with PLB

Keep in mind that in cooler water like off Jersey, hypothermia can set in in an hour or so, sharks are always around. I wont head offshore anymore without all of those plus some. I used to go out to 30 fathoms plus, with just a basic vhf, and loran C. Makes me cringe now just thinking of that.
Its funny you say that. I was thinking last night how I would go 2-5 miles out alone with 5 or 6 rods, beer, cooler and hope the cell towers didn't work.
Pushed down some train tracks on the beach from "Hook, Line and Sinker".
in a little dingy pull start wood 1000x painted wood boat.
Delaware Bay had some fish in it back then.
All great advice!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That Cobra seems ok because it has built in GPS and DSC capable. Personally, Im a fan of Icom, the Icom M330g can be had for a similar price. DSC is cool because when an MMSI number is programmed, anyone can just press the red button in an emergency. None of that matters if out of vhf range, which is limited on smaller boats with shorter antennas. An EPIRB onboard solves that.
If u have a chartplotter onboard, you can save some coin getting a unit without gps built in, if it can talk to the MFD plotter.
Antenna recommendations Larry?
TX