Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I know ya got a lot of work to do on the transom but you don’t have to blow it up with the propane tank Kc ! :D
As good as your getting with that eeeepoxy you’ll have that transom in great shape in no time !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys, the issue is the bad spots are below the water line. No biggy as far as this rehab is concerned. Just wanna do it right. Some of the glass I could pick apart with my finger nail.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, that's some dry glass right there! Had my share of that in my transom too...

it's amazing when you find stuff like that.. like I feel like a 1 eyed monkey could build a better boat.. chopper guns get crap, and this is why.. but if they are used, rolled out properly, and interlaced with hand laid roving taint no thang wrong with it.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
production boats all seem to have it someplace its just folks only find it when grinding or if a delam occurs

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Production boats ...poop...This is/was some ahole idea of a patch for whatevea reason. Appears to be on right side. That area I picked out with a screwdriver, hands with a pull. On a note the gel in this area was thicker but blended so you wouldn't really see it.
There was no adhesion whatsoever. rest of the transom gel seems to be inline.So I actually feel alot better. So now to blend and feather so I can get some primer on this piggy. :D

That girl is fine! says I!! She's driving me out of my mind! EEEpppoooxxyy foreva!!

trns 1.jpgtrns 2.jpgtrns 3.jpg

oldrem

Commander
It never ceases to amaze me what screw ups we find either from the manufacturers or POs. That will definitely be far better than new when you're done!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's a PRIME example of what happens when you don't Prep the surface correctly and then follow up with NOT applying resin first and then the CSM with more resin. It Just WON'T adhere properly!!! With epoxy that WON'T be a problem. You've got it under control now Kev!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Started some fairing on the transom. Waiting for the dry so I can sand and redo. Squeeters are having a field day on me. Must be a sign...."free beer blood"

transom fairing 1.jpg

oldrem

Commander
Get a Thermacell. I have 3 different ones I use whenever the blood suckers are out. It's amazing how effective they are. https://www.thermacell.com/ Takes about 10 min for them to warm up good - then the area is mosquito free as long as you keep it going. Living in the woods I would not have been able to work outside all summer without them.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
1st coat dried up nice. Went at it with 80 grit to level out. Will be adding add'l coat for low spots/dings. Sons 23rd today. So whooping up some fat tacos, soft/hard. Suffed ravs, with shrimp and lemon butter. Crashing...back to work 10:30 pm.
weather is awesome. Going up to the 100's next few days with high humidity. No rain no complain. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well since Mikey is to busy to click pics....for waht it's worth. After sanding I went back and hit highlighted low spots and filled. Waiting for the stuff to dry. First sanding was with mostly 80 grit. This one I'll start w/80 then go to 100.
Then to a primer.
Any comments welcomed.
OH yea my pm's are still not working.
trans 2nd coat.jpg

oldrem

Commander
When you're done you could clear coat it and go for the "rat rod look" lol A friend suggested I do that with the trailer :eek:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Does it sand as promised? lol..

I have a butt load of fairing coming down the pike using the same recipe.