Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
sphelps When we put the engine on with the backhoe we finally LOL bucketed the mulch up to the garden. Then I added 30 bags of soil. No fun! Yup finally used it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nothing exciting. Was so cold this morninging that I did not want to deal with the window gaskets or put them into hot water to soften up. So I focused on swapping out the mounting bolds for the outboard to spec. They showed up yesterday.

10 3 1.JPG

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
These gaskets are a freaking nightmare guys.
I suspect if I did it everyday of my life it would be a no brainer. I've blown too way too much money on test plexi and the gaskets. No longer worth it to me for speed, look, quality.
Alternatively their is a nice alternative that I will be investigating and has good reviews/results.
In regards to rope method/cars/trucks;
The gaskets where they use the rope for the automotive windows are factory, 1 pc and fit perfectly to the old cars or new. They actually if you look at the vids the gaskets from mfg make 90 deg. rads. So they must be a complete different rubber. The rope method will not work here. In fact the rope does not stay in the opening.
The rads with even heated water/tape don't actually conform and want to exaggerate. primarily the mfg made gasket is a neat application but being custom its not. In addition a rubber has to be installed to tighten the glass up. This will not happen if you try to put the gasket on while on a table then try to install the window with a rope app.
Moving along.
Their are other vids on the same subject posted below. My opinion. Guys who are trained in this biz are fine to use I'm sure. I'm pretty mechanically trained and again do not recommend this approach. I could go to a local window guy but that defeats the $$ purpose.
POOP says I! I could have knocked out alot of other things. Always a learning curve it is says I! Arrgg.

https://youtu.be/MQyjxVUskd8

Baylinerchuck

Commander
That 3M VHB Tape is really good stuff, and based on the price......3M is aware how good it is. I like the video and actually never really thought of doing it that way. I use it at work a good bit, and seems most cars have body panels installed, or at least ground effects, with it.

I wonder if you could add a piece of wood trim on the inside of the windows, lay the VHB on that, then the LEXAN on the VHB so that the windows are flush with the exterior, or just slightly recessed.

It sucks you had to spend money to learn, but sometimes unfortunately that’s the way it goes. Not much of a consolation, but all I can offer. Feel bad for ya, but learn to fight another day.

BAB056C2-868D-4F64-803A-FA7414E8931D.jpeg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Baylinerchuck Funny but I have been researching this for years... hence the slow build/learning curve. I figured once I found the gaskets life would be easy. Always love the challenges we come upon with boats.
This tape makes sense though. We use it at work. Seems to be time tested and now it appears legit for boat windows. The look should be fine. The application should be fine. When I hit the lotto then I'll look back into framed windows.
So the other considerations are how to let fresh air into the cabin with the new application. I have also been looking into that also for awhile. Not overly concerned about the interior finish, to me thats an easy look.
Heads still spinning on application and finish look. Keep ya posted. Thanks for your input.
BTW we are in the same field of work. Wacky enough though my spot is Union lol that I fell into like a birdshit.
All GOOD!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Today after the window nanana....I'm busy sorting out tools/space etc. for the winter soon to arrive. Was going to go over to Delaware to check out the CD canal boat slips maybe roll over to Maryland to for the same. Wife is not up to snuff and I'm just getting over some cold crap too so we decided to stay local and whup up some goodies for dinner. Momma found a yumyum recipe.
Cheers guys!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i made trim for the inside then i used pl roofing "black" urethane , its basically the same stuff you would use on car windows , then i made a trim for outside and was done it worked windows were sealed and lasted longer then the wood " damn carpenter bees!"

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So I have some really nice weather the next few days. Sanded down the mess and gelcoat for prep for paint with some 80 grit. Will prep tom with the base paint and maybe put down some paint.
I also want to pull off the wheel so I can do the teak behind it. Any tricks?

10 6 1.JPG10 6 2.JPG10 6 3.JPG

Attachments

• 10 6 4.JPG
    10 6 4.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 4

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with the above.. Mine was a little tight from corrosion, but its not a press-fit.. You might have some luck just smacking it around like it owes you money with a deadblow or rubber mallet to break loose any corrosion... but if all else fails, like Chuck said, probably gonna need a puller...