Quit My Job . . .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
8 days and counting. I've got two 4-day weeks coming up. :cool:

I'm thinking I'll see if I can land a few boat upholstery jobs/project for folks in the local area and see how that goes.
I am on a few upholstery Facebook pages. Seems like the hardest thing to do is come up with accurate estimates.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I’m retiring at the end of the month. We’ll see how that goes.
It takes a little bit to get used to, not a bad thing tho......

The Admiral is a bit nervous about the money side of things . . . I keep reminding her that it was her idea. :ROFLMAO:

Plan 'A' would be to find a contract job in the Fall and do that for a few years. Plan B would be boat upholstery. :unsure:

Plan C, go fishing.....😉

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I’m retiring at the end of the month. We’ll see how that goes.
It will take about 15, no make it 5 seconds to Adjust to not having to go to work, which is actually longer than it took me, when I retired in 2015, a few weeks after my 56th birthday.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Join the club Ted, that’s what happens when you retire!
You don’t have as much time as you think…
Yeah, I too often wonder how I got all this stuff done while I was working 5-6 days a week.
I somehow kept up with all this work on just the weekends!

The best thing about retirement and boating is we only boat on the weekdays when it's much quieter. Weekends are insanely crowded on our lake. And.....more people = more jerks to ruin your day.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
agreed the best time for boating is early in the AM, summer week days before the air heats up and it gets windy, the Long Island Sound is glass smooth, you can run on plane for miles without having to slow down.
I retired 5 years ago when I was 61, but started working part time right away and continued that till Covid shut the schools down in March 2020. Continued my other part time work all throughout, still doing it now, even tho I'm on a state pension & social security.

alldodge

Staff member
Week days after lunch for us. Go out and anchor and are able to float with beverages of choice under shade trees. We know where the coves are that have West shade growing

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I too often wonder how I got all this stuff done while I was working 5-6 days a week.
I somehow kept up with all this work on just the weekends!
Figured that one out a while back…too much “resting” and working at half the pace I did in my youth…lol

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When I retired, my Cousin said I was now a Man of Leisure. I told her that I was always a Man of Leisure, but 34 yrs of Employment kind of Interfered with it for many Years

tpenfield

Staff member
4 more days . . .

I had my 'exit interview' last week.

Also 2 other people from my team are leaving for various reasons, so there is a bit of a scramble to fill the gaps. ( not my problem 🤪 )

In terms of my project (honey-do) list. First up will be painting the house, then doing some yard clean-up and getting a dumpster to throw away some old furniture and household junk.

Then my O'Day Mariner Sailboat might get some attention. I have been on a 'waiting list' for another mooring in the local harbor. I might be coming close to getting a mooring spot in the next few years, so it would be good to have the sailboat ready.

In between all these projects, I've got to find some time to play golf. :unsure:

The Admiral has been talking about wanting to sell the house and down-sizing, but that is a hard no for me. Not worth it in the long run IMO, and our current house is not all that large (2,200 sq ft) and the neighborhood is great.

Meanwhile, I put an Ad up on CL for boat upholstery work to see if I can line up any upholstery jobs for over the fall/winter months. I do see a few people doing this type of work in the area.

I also wrote up a resume in case any unique 'real' job opportunities come up. One of the folks I know in the 'IT' field said that many smaller companies look to have a contract CIO of some sort to help them with their planning and oversight of technology. We shall see. :unsure:

tpenfield

Staff member
I've been 'out' for a week . . . spent every day this week on the boat working the backlog of projects and fix-its.

I actually set some time aside yesterday to take a few phone calls and email exchanges with former colleagues and work related associates.

I do like the fact that 'if I don't finish something today, I can get it done tomorrow'. While working, it always seemed like time pressure to get things done, because of such limited time.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks all for another fun read - and congrats to you tpenfield!

Y'all give me hope. At 60 now, I go back and forth between never retiring, retiring early, trying to decide about when I'm done on this planet (for the Admiral and $ planning). Crap shoot, but for now I'll try to keep my head down and keep it all going for the family

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I;m in the process of trying to make up my mind about retiring too. It sounds great until you actually can and then it gets a little scary! I like my job but when you could make almost the same staying home it does make getting up a little harder some mornings! Summer off would be great but I fear I'll get board those long winter months. Anyway congrats and hope it all works out tpenfield!

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, I hope all goes well with your plans. I would like to do some boat upholstery, since it is a skill that I've discovered, and I don't have to make a ton of money. It would be nice to have about 3 days per week of work and most of the summers off.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I;m in the process of trying to make up my mind about retiring too. It sounds great until you actually can and then it gets a little scary! I like my job but when you could make almost the same staying home it does make getting up a little harder some mornings! Summer off would be great but I fear I'll get board those long winter months. Anyway congrats and hope it all works out tpenfield!
Wasn't the least bit Scary. Oh for about 30 seconds I was concerned about all the commuters going to work, and stuck in traffic at -30. That concern faded very quickly as a I turned over and hit the snooze button

Reactions: KJM

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wasn't the least bit Scary. Oh for about 30 seconds I was concerned about all the commuters going to work, and stuck in traffic at -30. That concern faded very quickly as a I turned over and hit the snooze button
Haha, yeah I guess my biggest fear is I'll realize money is tighter then I've planned and I'll end up a Walmart greeter or saying "would you like fries with that?"

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I went on Company Pension the next day, I did use up a bit of saved money. 4 years later when I turned 60, I was able to get my Canada Pension, and in 2 1/2 years when I turn 65, I will be able to get Old Age Security. I haven't touched my savings or my Tax Sheltered Retirement Savings, or other Tax Sheltered Savings Plans since turning 60. I should though, as the plan is to have the money run out the Day I die. Others can pay my disposal costs, I suggested that I just be placed in the Alley next to the Trash Bins.

tpenfield

Staff member
I probably won't take social security for a few more years, as the monthly amount that I can get will max out then. The Admiral is still working and will do so for those few more years.

I have a honey do list a mile long and the new boat is keeping me plenty busy.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will have been retired 20 years come October 2022, can't think a of a thing about work that I miss.