Quit My Job . . .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I did tell myself, that when I retire, I'd sit by the town dock/ramp and watch 'the show' of ramp launch, retrieval, and associated fails.
Im going to claim the rights to the BLN "Boat Launch Network" used to have a bunch of videos on youtube of the local boat launch in Door County Wisconsin while sitting at my buds dock 15 years ago on Memorial Day weekend.

you cant make it up.

ahicks

Captain
The place I live is very near a boat landing on a pretty good sized (busy) lake, maybe 100yds down a trail through some woods. I would be willing to bet the absolute BEST shows occur as a thunderstorm approaches on a holiday weekend, late afternoon. They've been drinking all day, YOU've been enjoying the day, and it will all come together right then... an absolutely PERFECT storm!

You can try to stiffle that laugh as much as you can (without the top of your head popping off), but as @Scott Danforth says, you can't make some of this up! You absolutely cannot avoid laughing out loud.....

There was this time Sheriff's deputies (rent a cops) had trailered in for the day - oh never mind. You wouldn't believe me if I told you....

Or the guy that figured he'd load his jet ski in the back of his PU by just backing it into the lake - next to the boat landing. We did try to tell him, but he (correctly) assumed we were just a bunch of drunks hanging out.....

Been here since the mid '70's. MANY grins....Thanks for the memories! -Al

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There was this time Sheriff's deputies (rent a cops) had trailered in for the day - oh never mind. You wouldn't believe me if I told you....
we watched a guy (Illinois plates) back a 26'-28' express cruiser into the lake on a trailer. all the while we were saying, the lake is too shallow (clark lake in Door county). average depth is 5 feet, depth at ramp is about 3 and largest boat not a pontoon on the lake is 21 feet

so the guy told us he know what he was doing and powered the boat off the trailer, and onto its keel in the rocks.

took a front end loader and a tractor with a manure bucket to pull the boat back onto the trailer.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, how close to the Carolinas are you, and are you open to mobile upholstery inspection and minor repair.

tpenfield

Staff member
I retired over 4 years ago. I am so busy I can't understand how I got anything done while I was working.

My latest hobby is 3D printing.
A guy that works on my Team (that's the PC way of saying 'works for me' :ROFLMAO:) experiments with 3D printing at home. He has brought some of the creations in to the office and they look awesome.

I plan on fixing up my house, as it has lacked some attention the past few years. That should keep me busy all summer, and then some.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I decided over the weekend to quit my job. (The Admiral had recently suggested it).

So, I went into to work today and did exactly that. 🤪

I think I'll hang out for a while, hopefully get some good boating time, and casually look for another job. . . . or not. :LOL:

Maybe I can start doing boat upholstery, or something like that. . . . :unsure:
If you don't need the money, just enjoy not working. Great to be your own boss...sort a speak. I don't think anyone can ever be their own boss...

tpenfield

Staff member
Money would be the only factor that would prompt me to go back to into the 'working world'. My plan was to continue working for a few more years, as the Admiral is not quite up to retirement age, and the extra $$$ is a nice-to-have.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Now with the pension & social security my income is the same as when I was working, and since I still work part time I’m making more overall than when I worked full time. I keep up the part time work because I still like it. Just had to get out of the over-regulated “system” I worked in for 30+ years with all kinds of senseless & ineffectual regulation.

FLATHEAD

Commander
If you don't need the money, just enjoy not working. Great to be your own boss...sort a speak. I don't think anyone can ever be their own boss...
congrats tpnfield! Now you can go out and drive slow etc and get in peoples way that are still in the rat race. 😁
Worked my tail off to retire early. Retired at 62 in Oct and thought about taking on another job. Had a few offers. After some thought I figured if I wanted to do that I should have just stayed where I was.
Enjoy your retirement tpnfield you earned it I’m sure.

ahicks

Captain
Money would be the only factor that would prompt me to go back to into the 'working world'. My plan was to continue working for a few more years, as the Admiral is not quite up to retirement age, and the extra $$$ is a nice-to-have.
The reason I (kinda) work - mad money. Money I don't feel guilty about when spending. Nothing that's been budgeted....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I worked for well over 40 years. 38 of those years was in black box repair and redesign and than computer programing and new circuit design. So I honestly loved my jobs. But when I realized I was actually making less than minimum wage at that time, when compared to work verses retirement, I retired. But even in retirement, you are still not your own boss. And the work I am having to do now, isn't work I like doing. My dad died a few years ago and I am NOW, after nearly two years in the probate court system, the administrator of the estate. And since he had three homes, two rentals, we (wife and I) are now repairing one of the rentals to be able to even try and sell it... Never, ever, ever, ever rent homes... The renters demolished one home. So for the past few months, we have been working at the rental house every day but one, to try and get it ready to sell... Oh the pain, the pain... But if you have no such situations, retire and enjoy life...you worked for it!

aspeck

Staff member
The Admiral is not quite up to retirement age, and the extra $$$ is a nice-to-have.
Aahhh ... so now you are a "kept" man! That means you have a few hours each day to "be your own boss" until the Admiral comes home and inspects you work! LOL!

Seriously, enjoy your summer and sort things out in the fall to see if you want to work part time, full time, or not at all "for the man." See how your "free time" goes and if you are bored or if you have more to do than you can imagine. I have dealt with people on both sides of that equation in retirement ... those that found themselves, and those that lost their identity and didn't know what to do with themselves. Take the summer (or longer if you like) to figure out which camp you belong and enjoy the process as much as possible. Do lots of boating ... even if the price of fuel makes you sit at the dock and make motor sounds!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A guy that works on my Team (that's the PC way of saying 'works for me' :ROFLMAO:) experiments with 3D printing at home. He has brought some of the creations in to the office and they look awesome.

I plan on fixing up my house, as it has lacked some attention the past few years. That should keep me busy all summer, and then some.
I actually wish I retired earlier.

tpenfield

Staff member
The Admiral is a bit nervous about the money side of things . . . I keep reminding her that it was her idea. :ROFLMAO:

Plan 'A' would be to find a contract job in the Fall and do that for a few years. Plan B would be boat upholstery. :unsure:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've already got some who want me to work on their boats. I may or may not.... lol

tpenfield

Staff member
8 days and counting. I've got two 4-day weeks coming up. :cool:

I'm thinking I'll see if I can land a few boat upholstery jobs/project for folks in the local area and see how that goes.