Quit My Job . . .

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My neighbor recently retired also. He drives by and hollers, get a job! I give him the one finger salute. I’m retired also, he went back to work. Lol
We both worked at the same marina so it’s just guys having fun…..

tpenfield

Staff member
My dance card is starting to fill up. I got a call from a former colleague about a potential consulting gig.

The Admiral is happy about thew extra income :D

tpenfield

Staff member
If I can get a couple of management coaching gigs, it would be $300/hr 🤪

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Management, pretty much the Least Productive bunch of People in a Company.
My Motto, which I did write on many White Boards, with regular Felt Pen(much harder to remove in a Hurry)
"Keep Smiling, the Bosses are IDIOTS!"

Respect is earned, 99% of Management deserves None

tpenfield

Staff member
My Motto, which I did write on many White Boards, with regular Felt Pen(much harder to remove in a Hurry)

That sounds so harsh 🤪 . . . I've worked in companies with pretty good management teams and some not as much :ROFLMAO:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. Some managers are spot on perfect. Others are so far south of what they do the whole business suffers.
Of the 35 yrs I was with the Company, less than 12 were with good Managers. The rest were the stupidest Illegitimates you could ever meet. They were certainly Legends in their own minds. A couple of them took a Run at me, but within a Year, each time, I had managed to get them Fired. In one case the Federal Government was coming down pretty hard on the Company because that Nitwit(he broke several Federal Labour Laws).

tpenfield

Staff member
When I first started out working, I was pretty much un-manageable. :ROFLMAO: Looking back, I feel sorry for my boss at the time.

As I gained experience, I came to understand more about the 'why' of how people act in various management roles. I also came to understand the differences between a 'manager' and a 'leader'.

In the later stages of my career I felt fortunate to be able to navigate my way through the 'corporate maze' and end up working for the manager that I wanted to report to. In total, I worked for 10 companies over the span of 40+ years, had a total of 20 managers . . . 7 of which I considered 'good', another 4 were 'OK' . . . the rest . . . :rolleyes:

breekser

Cadet
When I first started out working, I was pretty much un-manageable. :ROFLMAO: Looking back, I feel sorry for my boss at the time.

As I gained experience, I came to understand more about the 'why' of how people act in various management roles. I also came to understand the differences between a 'manager' and a 'leader'.

In the later stages of my career I felt fortunate to be able to navigate my way through the 'corporate maze' and end up working for the manager that I wanted to report to. In total, I worked for 10 companies over the span of 40+ years, had a total of 20 managers . . . 7 of which I considered 'good', another 4 were 'OK' . . . the rest . . . :rolleyes:
Knowing what to do and what not to in corporate world can get you REALLY far imo. A lot of people lack that skill and end up being stuck "fighting" their manager. And I'm yet to see that end well for the employee.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Knowing what to do and what not to in corporate world can get you REALLY far imo. A lot of people lack that skill and end up being stuck "fighting" their manager. And I'm yet to see that end well for the employee.
I managed to get two jackass Managers fired, and went on to work there another 15 yrs, till I retired, with Corporate Pension. I just have pretty much no Respect for the Legal Pimps

tpenfield

Staff member
In other news . . .

I got my first boat upholstery job this week. Re-making a set of bow cushions for a Boston Whaler bowrider. A few others are in the works.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In other news . . .

I got my first boat upholstery job this week. Re-makling a set of bow cushions for a Boston Whaler bowrider. A few others are in the works.
RF pleated material?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I retired 8 years ago, one of the best decisions I ever made. I was executive vp for a large Fortune 500 company. Very high stress, high anxiety, long hours but also high salary and bonus. 50 to 60+ hour weeks were the norm and lots of business travel which gets old quickly. I actually liked my job but it was just overwhelming in so many ways.
Told my wife I was retiring and she was ecstatic. A couple weeks after retirement she said I was a new person, happy, jovial, relaxed, no longer uptight, got my old personality back. I had numerous offers from various corporations but said no to all.
Had no desire to seek another job. I have so many interests that 24 hours a day is not enough time to pursue them all. I’m an avid fisherman, hunter, boater. I love gardening (growing my vegetable garden), reading, seeing movies, dozens of social activities. We travel numerous times a year around the states and the world. And the list goes on and on. We planned our retirement financially well so no problems there. We actually have more after tax income than when I was working.
I think one of the keys to a happy retirement is having interests and hobbies and real plans of things you plan to do. I find people who don’t have these generally are not happy in retirement. I have a friend and neighbor who retired as a VP/CFO from a large engineering company. Really had no hobbies or outside interests. After 2 years he was back working as VP of operations for another engineering firm. He just turned 70 and has been back working for 3.5 years now. And that’s just fine but it’s not for me.
As I tell people I’d rather watch paint dry than go back to work.

Baylinerchuck

Commander

Wow, I couldn’t imagine working for that shitty of a company as you did. Yeah there are unproductive people in every company, some in middle management, some in upper management, and some are individual contributors. I’m grateful I work for a company where the vast majority of the workforce doesn’t feel the way you do. I’m not a Pollyanna, there’s always bumps in the road and some days are better than others. If I had that kind of outlook I think I’d remove myself from that negativity. It ain’t healthy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I couldn’t imagine working for that shitty of a company as you did. Yeah there are unproductive people in every company, some in middle management, some in upper management, and some are individual contributors. I’m grateful I work for a company where the vast majority of the workforce doesn’t feel the way you do. I’m not a Pollyanna, there’s always bumps in the road and some days are better than others. If I had that kind of outlook I think I’d remove myself from that negativity. It ain’t healthy.
I couldn't agree more. The company I just retired from had great managers...the startup company I worked at before had great technical managers and poor business decision managers.

Always great to have good managers and, for the most part, have had good managers my entire engineering career. If I worked for a company with managers that bad that you want to get them fired, I would not stay a week at that company.

For myself, I hated managing people so I stayed on the technical side of things.

I retired in my late 50s...I actually could have retired 3 or 4 years earlier....my only regret.