Quit My Job . . .

WIMUSKY

Staff member
SS? I'm taking it at 62. Not gonna wait to max it out. I don't see or have the need.... I'm still adjusting. I don't have this retiring thing down yet. I like structure, lost it when I left my job... Plenty to do, just need to get off my butt....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
SS? I'm taking it at 62. Not gonna wait to max it out. I don't see or have the need.... I'm still adjusting. I don't have this retiring thing down yet. I like structure, lost it when I left my job... Plenty to do, just need to get off my butt....
Me to. I took mine at 65 though.Two weeks into it. Kinda nice with no alarm clock but I’d best get off my but and get stuff done.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Me to. I took mine at 65 though.Two weeks into it. Kinda nice with no alarm clock but I’d best get off my but and get stuff done.
I spend way too much time on a computer or phone researching stuff. Now I'm looking at gun safes, Champion. Dang they're spendy.

aspeck

Staff member
Yeah, but your a kept man. Not everyone has a beautiful wife to support them ...

flashback

Captain
I hung it up 14 years ago I think, shoot what day is it.. you get my drift..
I wasn't as fortunate as some who had a job they love.. and made money besides. I worked for a corporate builder when in truth I enjoyed carpentry. I made enough....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I;m in the process of trying to make up my mind about retiring too. It sounds great until you actually can and then it gets a little scary!
Same boat.....holding off for full retirement but then what?

Really having a hard time wrapping my head around losing my job perks.
Have not worked 9 to 5 in 20+ years. Worked from home 12 of those years. Customer forward position (Sales Engineer and Project Manager) Lots and lots of entertaining, Sales conferences (junkets), domestic and international travel, etc. with someone else paying the bills.

The been there, done that list is a mile long......the bucket list, not so much anymore......lol

tpenfield

Staff member
66.5 was going to work until 69-70 ish, but decided to hang it up

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
66.5 was going to work until 69-70 ish, but decided to hang it up
Oh I'll definitely be gone by then. I'm 57 and probably will work 1 more year at the most. I paid into a pension for 30+ years and want to get some use out of it while I'm still able to enjoy it. I've seen enough cases where someone waits too long and then has a stroke or some other major health problem just as they retire!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, I entered the job market @ 22 years old, after college . . . so 44+ years doing the 9-5 thing (and then some).

I've held 9 different jobs over that time . . . the longest stint had been 5 years, until my most recent job of 13 years. A career change along the way. I started out in Manufacturing Engineering and then transitioned into Information Technology after about 12 years. During my engineering years, I did a brief run in Inventory Management, and thought I might make a go of it, but ended up playing my strong suit (engineering), which then led into I.T.

I've found that what you 'like doing' and what you are 'good at' (and can make good $$$) can be 2 different things.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Oh I'll definitely be gone by then. I'm 57 and probably will work 1 more year at the most. I paid into a pension for 30+ years and want to get some use out of it while I'm still able to enjoy it. I've seen enough cases where someone waits too long and then has a stroke or some other major health problem just as they retire!
Wait till you're 59.5, no 10% early withdrawal penalty ..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If it's a 401k where you retired from, you can take it out at 55 with no penalty
Providing that employer participates in the Rule of 55. I rolled into an IRA so I couldn't go out until 59.5

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Providing that employer participates in the Rule of 55. I rolled into an IRA so I couldn't go out until 59.5
That's why you don't roll it out into an IRA if you might need it.

Personally, I won't need my IRA for a VERY long time so hopefully, they make the minimum RMD age greater. I do IRA to Roth conversions every year as long as I am in a low tax bracket.

tpenfield

Staff member
My retirement might be short lived. I just got a call on a part-time gig for some IT management work.

We’ll see what happens.

tpenfield

Staff member
I do have to consolidate my IRA/401 stuff from my previous job. Too busy messing around with boats (and cars and trucks) recently to fill out the forms. :LOL:

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, I got a job . . . :unsure:

IT Consulting for one of the partner organizations where I used to work.

Probably will be only 1 day/week, so I'll have plenty of time to work on my home and boat project lists :D