PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

Awesome, thank you for the pictures. I'm not sure if my sewing machine can do those stiches as it is old, but it is also heavy and seems sturdy. My mom is very good at sewing so I will talk more with her.
As for the local vinyl, I paid $18 a yard for my stuff. I wish I could find it for $7 a yard locally. I guess I need to do some more searching. How expensive should the foam be? I paid $40 for a 24" x 96" x 2" thick piece which I feel is WAY over priced.
"Dude I sew" thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=344239&highlight=dude+I+sew
So funny.

Thanks Ill check it out....as for the deals you have to go to upholstery supply places for cars and boats...industrial...etc...or have a 50% off coupons for Joann Fabrics (they are outrageous otherwise!!!! or BUY ONLINE no tax, fair prices, but ya gotta know what ya want since you cant hold it in frt of your face or touch it

You're just a jack of all trades aren't you Vegas? :D
I may have to try the sewing bit myself. I bought a new cover for my boat, but of course, it fits horribly around the tower. Maybe I could cut it and sew reinforcements around the tower posts?

Yes I like to do EVERYTHING myself.....the apple don't fall far from the tree (Dads fault!)
and ....Lets see ya do that to your cover!, I bet you would do fine!

Vegas, that boat is SICK. I lay down my tools before you, for I am not worthy.
Just curious, but where are you cutting costs? You're making such fast progress, but all along you keep stressing how you're doing it on the cheap. I just don't see how you could have accomplished this much, this quickly, and still be doing it cheap. You, sir, are a testament to boat restorers ingenuity. And kudos to your whole family for getting involved. That's quality time!

Thanks alot Nitsuj...really appreciate the positive feedback!! thanks goodness the iboats forum isnt all negativity! wouldnt get much done then! be too busy trying to impress each other with top of the line bling:D

see next post for cost breakdown...........

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ COST BREAKDOWN

Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ COST BREAKDOWN

total cost Boat/Trailer/New parts/Materials TALLY = $2,586

Heres the cost breakdown for this project...I think it is budget priced so far!
....and estimate for a total $$$ spent projection....this includes some future purchases! for redoing the trailer

keep in mind no labor costs were added in...my wife and my time ...I will consider free.... until we sell the boat LOL or add in $15 per hour x ??? about 18 total by the time we're done 8 hour days = 145 hours x2 people = 290 x $15 = $4350 in labor costs not tallied in..........

also alot of materials weren't free....they cost at some point and time, but for the sake of the thread.....they were leftovers from other projects, scraps, or cheap local supplies used.......total amount spent per line includes taxes etc
===================================
Boat and trailer $950
Chrysler upper housing / seal kit and starboard trim sensor $500 total
New tire at-least one needed if not 4 each tire $75 x 4 ??? = $300
New marine battery $70
10 cans vinyl spray paint $75
1 gallon white automotive acrylic enamel single stage paint for trailer $45
New captains seat (best wuality bass seat) $128
new bimini top plastic end fittings etc $15
New bilge blower and hose $45
1 gallon of poly resin (fiberglass resin) $39
3 fiberglass cloth packages $6 ea x 3 =$18
6 cup holder inserts $12
3/4" aluminum angle stock 6 ft lengths ($6 ea = 3 used) = $18
poli-glow gel coat restoration kit (online w/ shipping) $62
sandpaper $5
carb overhaul kit for rochester 4bbl $17
10 ft 3/4" heater hose $18
10ft 5/8" heater hose $16
15 ft 3/8" fuel hose $42
1 quart Rustoleum paint = Aluminum color $7
Anchor $22
anchor rope 100'ft $20
dock lines x 2 packages total = $12
orange flag and whistle $8
misc screws $10
2 stainless end fittings for swim platform (online) $13 ea x 2 = $26
1 box staples for staple gun $5
spark plugs $1.69 ea x 8 = $14
wheel bearing grease $3
sos pads used 3 $1
1 pint of overpriced white gel coat $17
new trailer light end connector $3
various electrical connectors $1
spray glue 2 cans $8 ea x 2 = $16
Masking tape $5
1 flap disc for angle grinder (fav tool) $3
white upholstery thread for sewing boat cover back together $3
marine carpet for bunk boards $35
============== total cost TALLY $2,586 === then add in free stuff if you care to

FREE or PAID FOR STUFF from past projects items on hand or from our storage from years ago....unused junk laying around etc
------------------------------------------------
tan carpet (orginal cost I think was $60) it was in storage for 5 years! finally used it!
vinyl remnants....had alot from few years back when we we're doing VW stuff.....bought all on clearances for dirt cheap
wood....used either old seat bases or 3/4inch wood from an older custom made office computer workstation.......consider it free? no cost re-used
steering wheel....scavenged from Newman project boat...free....
masking paper....free used photo background paper I have tons of this from my business....

----> minus boat and sterndrive repair = about $1000 to resto it plus labor

total value of all work and labor (thats after sterndrive repairs / trailer looking like new etc and if we were to get $15 per hour for that labor) the new tally would be $6936 that would be a fair price to charge for her when she's done...
so ranging between $6 and 8k sale price ...would work out well, we'd make a few bucks etc...........

total cost Boat/Trailer/New parts/Materials TALLY = $2,586

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Wow. Amazing results on that budget. Good job, you can be proud.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow. Amazing results on that budget. Good job, you can be proud.

Thanks Nitsij,, I guess it really adds up after all...but for what it is its pretty low buck considering we'll have a fresh looking boat....we know whats up with all aspects of it and we did the work...so we can be proud! sheez anyone can spend $40k on a new 23' ft boat.....now do that for only $2500 :) now you're talkin! :D

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Nitsij,, I guess it really adds up after all...but for what it is its pretty low buck considering we'll have a fresh looking boat....we know whats up with all aspects of it and we did the work...so we can be proud! sheez anyone can spend $40k on a new 23' ft boat.....now do that for only $2500 :) now you're talkin! :D

Your super low cost total makes it all the more impressive. The way the boat is looking, I'd be impressed if you had spent 8-10K to be honest.

In one way you've inspired me to jump onto mine with both feet, but in another way I'm almost afraid I can never do as good of a job, :D

Truthfully, the only thing holding me back is this crazy weather we've been having. Way to much rain and no shop. My boat is at my Dad's over an hour drive away. Every time I get ready to head down there the friggin bottom falls out again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can't wait to see the pics and vid of you splashing that thing. Gonna be a real head turner at the lake.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Your super low cost total makes it all the more impressive. The way the boat is looking, I'd be impressed if you had spent 8-10K to be honest.
In one way you've inspired me to jump onto mine with both feet, but in another way I'm almost afraid I can never do as good of a job, :D
Truthfully, the only thing holding me back is this crazy weather we've been having. Way to much rain and no shop. My boat is at my Dad's over an hour drive away. Every time I get ready to head down there the friggin bottom falls out again.

Hi Mddubya and thanks a ton! with fixing the sterndrive, that was alot of the repair cost...1/3rd to be precise plus the new tires as a safety precaution...costs alot too....
Either way you hafta get that boat closer to you.... otherwise it will most likely take forever to finish.....unless your Dad is a great motivator...or better yet working on it while your away! got any pals nearby with some room and maybye some paint experience to lend ya a hand...get that skiboat of yours painted up....atleast over winter maybye....

Can't wait to see the pics and vid of you splashing that thing. Gonna be a real head turner at the lake.

You and me both Jeremy! and thanks.....:D
.....we are definetely using the end of the season cool weather thats coming...plus everyone watching through Iboats as motivation to hurry and continue! I plan to post some video again soon....and will for sure of her on the water from shore and from boat...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Swim platform resto portion

Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Swim platform resto portion

Well, today we had company and such...so only got a bit more done on the sleek...as follows...

The swim platforms (fiberglass) and the associated hardware were in desparate need of refurbing....fiberglass was all faded....the portuguese hardware fittings (2 were broken on the one) were cheaper cast / chromed parts...we have 2 new 90degree base "Taco" brand fittings for the broken replacements (the Prev Owner banged it hard on the port swim deck support) and that broke the 2 cheaper fittings, well replace the rest later....
anyhoot....the new Stainless Steel fittings are 5 times better than the original cast ones....much stronger, atleast 2 times heavier too...
-
-
my ever present helper April....she helped polish em up!

SwimDecks-refurb.jpg

Wet sanded the fiberglass platforms with 600....in retrospect it was a bit too rough....need to use 1000 next time....then wet polished it with rubbing compound...then polishing compound, then some turtle wax....
-
-
before on bottom, after on top
SwimDecks-refurb%20(1).jpg

I wire wheeled the old chrome fittings and the stainless 90 degree bent tubes that support it all......then polished and waxed all them too...

LOOKS WAY BETTER...looks clean and glossy now.....wouldn't have it any other way!
a little elbow grease goes a long way!

The old part left....right is new TACO brand Stainless fitting...high quality, 2 setscrews...very nice...heavy too

SwimDecks-refurb%20(3).jpg

SwimDecks-refurb%20(5).jpg

next is the sterndrive repair...hope I have all the parts I need to do it up ...also hope not to find any damage inside....yikes the old Chrysler 300 outdrive is hard to get parts for! crossing my fingers!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wed Sept 30th we started teardown on the old sterndrive power leg....got it about 1/2 tore down and had to quit .....work call....had to go do a photo shoot!

will post some pics a bit later today as we get further with the outdrive and replacing the upper housing

so far eveything looks AWSOME...for how old it is...no metal in there...no major wear....only a couple micronic rust pits....all in all the guts are in very good shape! the lower seal at the output shaft had NO LEAKAGE....the fluid in the old chrysler is thick...like 90wt gear oil...smelled like there wa s afriction modifier added in too....
the PO had siliconed thier work back together...well the gear oil liquified thier silicone...made for some thick goop in places....
DONT USE SILICONE for sealing oringed and gasketed surfaces...thats what the orings and seals are for!
if you HAVE to use silicone, please only use a miniscule amount...less is better with silicone!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Sterndrive work!

Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Sterndrive work!

26 new pics HERE

Chrysler 300 Sterndrive - Replacing the upper housing (old one broken completely!)
PO welded broken upper housing...did a dandy job, but should never been welded..shoulda been....REPLACED....REPLACED....REPLACED
ok complaints aside...we're jazzed that the internal guts are AAA+ condition! yea!
the internals look like thye are 1 year old.....old school over engineering!!!

no internal impeller to worry about on these too...I LIKE THAT....nice overall design...I give it a 4 out of 5 stars for design.....(taking the double cardigan u-joints apart made it lose a star!)

Heavy unit too....

Got her apart...cleaned the gears ....relubed with 90 wt oil....now stripping lower housing of all paint and primer....need to get the aluma prep/zinc chromate primer / single stage auto enamel paint and such on friday from local shop supply......

see pics
Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-003.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-002.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-008.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-023.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-015.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

more pics

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-024.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-005.jpg

Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-004.jpg

DONT USE THIS MCUH SILICONE PLEEEEEESEthis was around one small oring seal...the 110wt fluid ate whatever silicone made it inside and made a chemical sludge out of the silicone.....a little if ya HAVE to use it at all please!
Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-026.jpg

Bottom half of the power leg..........
Chrysler300-Sterndrive-Repair-025.jpg

NickyBFWB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Excellent work... waiting for that video... too bad I know my project is going to be 10x what you spent at the very least.

Nick

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its good to see your on the last "leg" :D of your project...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

That is near the most beautiful boat I've ever seen! The lines of that are killer and the 'dinner party' interior takes the cake! Having two couches which turn into a bed is likely the best boating interior idea ever! That whole boat is amazing and the before and after on the engine.. holy cow! It looks like you added 1000HP just from the polishing job on those valve covers!

I have no idea how many years you will get out of it before it begins to show wear, but until then, enjoy the living crap out of it, as that is one killer party-it-up boat! Yes, the brown striping needs to die, but heck, for the time into it and the money, that is one heck of a transformation! I'm just glad I won't be there when you have to paint it (trust me, you don't want me anywhere near a paint job, hehe).

Likely the best looking boat and restore job I've seen. That is just awesome.

One question though.. where does the co-pilot sit?

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

To those of you not sure...YES Im a blabbering run on sentence kinda post-er!!!! jeez I blab alot ...... (Vegas)

its good to see your on the last "leg" :D of your project...

ROTFLMA nice one Tojo!!!!!

yesterday I got the Alumiprep....Alodine..(for doing the bare aluminum on the sterndrive) ....poly enamel single stage white....epox primer and reducers/hardeners etc....ran $300 locally got ganked a bit...could bought it online for $140 total....anyways that is for repainting the sterndrive and trailer.....also white

That is near the most beautiful boat I've ever seen! The lines of that are killer and the 'dinner party' interior takes the cake! Having two couches which turn into a bed is likely the best boating interior idea ever! That whole boat is amazing and the before and after on the engine.. holy cow! It looks like you added 1000HP just from the polishing job on those valve covers!
I have no idea how many years you will get out of it before it begins to show wear, but until then, enjoy the living crap out of it, as that is one killer party-it-up boat! Yes, the brown striping needs to die, but heck, for the time into it and the money, that is one heck of a transformation! I'm just glad I won't be there when you have to paint it (trust me, you don't want me anywhere near a paint job, hehe).
Likely the best looking boat and restore job I've seen. That is just awesome.
One question though.. where does the co-pilot sit?

hhaha on my lap ofcourse! (the wife) she was the one that DIDN"T want a copilot seat...the openness is reeal nice...some boats are kinda crowded...seats everywhere...where the copilot seat was is a ncie place to stand...and with the length and such...shouold ba a good standing area under way...might add a leaning post/butt post bit down the road...we will see how it goes as is tho...thanks for the thumbs up on the boat!!! hey these sleeks arent too pricey for bombed out version....lots of em here in vegas...though I wouldnt mind that boat of yours either!!!!!!!as it's no slouch!

she just absolutely LOVES the back jumpseats...one of those is perma hers..they are ULTRA comfy and laidback..they surround you 3/4th the way around....a small cooler with padded top will be added as an ottoman (for the subs and food)(we need the big cooler for the 30 to 40 beers we normally bring along) No I dont get hammered... :p I only have 2 to 5 beers max in a 8 hour period...and when it's 110 degrees out you dont get a buzz off even a six pack spread out over hours and hours........Im the safety guy on the vessel....AHOY CAPTAIN! my brother in laws can certainly pound em back tho for sure! :eek:

Got the wood for the floor area that drops (the fill wood) will be building that today...got (6) $2 ea cedar dog eared ($12) fencing from HD....and a quart of Matte Spar Polyurethane clear for the wood...plan is to rip the 5" wide wood in 1/2 ......cut it to length....router all of the edges with a 1/4 round bit....sand the heck out of it all to a super smooth splinter free finish...and clear it with the spar matte finish......drop it in the boat!

was going to go with oak planks...but...it was $1.50 a running foot so the expense was 10x easy

that wood decking drop in part should be a nice finishing touch in the interior....

PS the boat cover repairs held up to 45 MPH sustained winds this week...2 days worth......SWEET! call me sewing susie!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ MORE new photos added!

Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ MORE new photos added!

MORE NEW PICTURES stripping the sterndrive paint off using a 120 grit sanding disc on my blue point die grinder 3" disc used

xChrysler300-Sterndrive-stripping%20(2).jpg

another pic of the lower power leg
xChrysler300-Sterndrive-stripping%20(4).jpg

all 3 parts...still hafta rough up the "new" upper housing in prep for paint
xChrysler300-Sterndrive-stripping%20(1).jpg

look how massive the 1961 4 cyl 2 stroke outboard is lol thats on our Glaspar G3 this fall or winter we'll restore it)
xChrysler300-Sterndrive-stripping%20(5).jpg

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Im still debating painting our outdrive. I want to but at the same time I really don't. You forgot to factor into your costs, beer, extra water from flushing toilet from consumption of beer, and pringles.....

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Im still debating painting our outdrive. I want to but at the same time I really don't. You forgot to factor into your costs, beer, extra water from flushing toilet from consumption of beer, and pringles.....

OMG you're right...never did factor that in...ADD 50% to all costs!!!!!!!!! ahhahahhahahhah ARRRRG! pringles did go up 33% here locally, now $1.50 per can....Dollar store here I come!

hey you can always paint it later..as it sticks out the back.....might be a bit more work latr but what the heck.....
or over the winter

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Prep and painting the sterndrive unit
sanded most of the old finish off / cleaned with water / etched with alumi prep / rinsed / brushed on Alodine / rinsed and let dry / epoxy primer / sand with 600 grit / clean and degrease, wipe with tack rag / paint with 2k urethane acrylic enamel (Ful-thane)

xx-ChryslerSTerndriveRepair-%20(10).jpg

-
-
using a waterbottle sprayer to apply the Alumi-prep etcher (acid basically)
xx-ChryslerSTerndriveRepair-%20(4).jpg

all primered up....used 421-20 Nason ....need to sand it after this with 600 grit...then apply the apint
decided AGAINST using zinc chromate primer as the carquest wanted $200 all they had was gallons, $100 for gallon primer $100 for activator or somthinig like that....went with reg epoxy primer instead...will let everyone know after 1 season how all this work holds up.........
xx-ChryslerSTerndriveRepair-%20(12).jpg

xx-ChryslerSTerndriveRepair-%20(14).jpg

WarWick spray gun made in china, good gun but also paid way too much ($175) back 4 years ago...same carquest, am I a sucker or what!
xx-ChryslerSTerndriveRepair-%20(11).jpg

want to paint today...freaking 30mph winds though...dang wind!!!!! makes for dust and generally irritating day to work outside

Rickairmedic

Commander

Vegas just push the Bugg outside and set up your booth in the garage :D with the door mostly down it will cut back on the wind drastically :D. Looking good though I think you might just splash her next week if you keep it up :D.

Rick