PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Hi all
well we didnt make the 3 week deadline! Ran out of CASH!!!
We did get a TON done in that time, however, were waiting for spare funds so we can finish up this project, (need 5 new tires and one rim) This update is from Nov 20th 2008 either way, we knocked out alot in the 1rst 3 weeks and have basically been on hold for an additional 6 weeks not too much actual work going on..

page 2 has a CHECKLIST to do and completed list see post #35 page 2

newest estimate for TOTAL COSTS
total cost Boat/Trailer/New parts/Materials/all repairs TALLY = $2,586

150 pictures -- this is the first 4 days of work HERE ~~~~

UPDATED Jan 20th 2010 ----- for those who just want the pics....TONS of em...follow the links below...
UPDATED Oct 3rd 2009 ----- for those who just want the pics....TONS of em...follow the links below...
picture folder 2
picture folder 3
picture folder 4
picture folder 5
picture folder 6
picture folder 7
picture folder 8
picture folder 9
picture folder 10

and also 3 videos here

YouTube video of our sleekcraft hulls gel coat restoration, using Poli-Glow see the results!

The name JEZABEL has come down through the centuries to be used as a general name for wicked women.

This thread follows a fairly fast / "low buck" restoration of a 1981 23 foot SLEEKcraft Executive, we got the boat in August 2009, about a month ago for $950 (bought aug 09), it was about 90 miles from our house down in Bullhead City AZ. near Laughlin, NV.

SleecraftExecutive-001.jpg

It has a LITERALLY broken in half! Chrysler 300 Sterndrive...solid transom and stringers, great decking....faded 80s wood graphics and cracked interior, we cleaned it with purple eng degreaser, and the upholstery STILL looked dirty. YUCK.

b%20(45).jpg

We already have another total resto going, a 1978 Newman 18' new stringers/deck and gel etc LOTS of work...but since the sterndrive parts for the sleek should be here tonight via ups...we got a little anxious to get this baby going for some end of summer lake fun....and maybye a little 55 mph plus lake running...muhahahhahah! so budget being TIGHT and time of the essence....this is the resto.........

Got boat, washed her down, had UGLY AS SIN chocolate brown rotten 80s carpeting gunwale to gunwale....stunk like mold and cat pee...ripped that out, scrubbed up the seats. STILL UGLY and 80s looking...stopped to work on the Newman project for a couple weeks. Then we got back to the Sleek...
yanked all of the interior out...only took 2 hours to get the int and carpet out.....vaccummed up the mess

SleecraftExecutive-035.jpg

Removed the broken sterndrive assy, wasn't bad removing it, thank goodness the bellows were all good, as the chrysler parts are impossible to find...or very pricey!

The Engine was a dirty dog, the wife and I scrubbed it down with Engine degreaser...scubbed the bilge area 3 times, still had dirty oil grease junked up ini there, wirebrushed it out with acetone, then carb spray....
polished the water headers and valve covers with brasso...came out pretty good! Going to paint the intake when I get the carb off, with high heat aluminum spray paint. (I dont care for black on engines as it hides leaks!)

SleecraftExecutive-054.jpg

SleecraftExecutive-057.jpg

The deck / transom wood was great, solid...had some fiberglass that had a bit to little resin, so we re-coated the whole deck with resin, also added more glass to the fuel tank hold downs and to the rear area near under the jump seats, as this is where ALOT of water always ends up from people getting in out etc....
used fine mesh glass cloth in the center area where the deck drops down, to seal it better and for prep of future wood decking that will be placed there to even the deck out. (I will be tripping over the 2 inch drop all the time otherwise!) the drop in deck part will be exposed wood like on ski lockers kinda....will be removable..for clean up and mopping etc of the deck

Painted the whole deck and bilge shebang
with rustoleum oil based aluminum paint....eng bilge and all, now it has ANOTHER water resistant/proof seal on it.

The wife used spray vinyl paint on the interior bench seats and engine box, as they were in pretty good condition..I had to recover the jump seat bases as they were cracked up, used off color scrap vinyl...painted them with white vinyl paint....

after we had removed all the carpet as stated earlier, in the cuddy, we used spray rubberized undercoating in the bow cuddy area...painted it with rustoleum white gloss...no more moldy carpet YEAH! the reason we only rubberized and painted it...we only have enough white vinyl from a leftover project...to cover the inside cuddy walls in the bench seat area! sooo...thats what we did, TIGHT BUDGET! will re-do as we get more $$$ buy all new stuff etc..., Had some carpet from a VW project leftover, that is what we laid down in the cuddy....no cost already owned scrap...

We got new spark plugs, oil and filter for the engine, today the plan is to change the oil, spray a little marvel mystery oil in each cylinder, spinning it up with no plugs, to get it rotating slick again. doing a compression test, dissassembling the carb, cleaning it out (gummed up), replacing the plugs, checking and cleaning the points, changing fuel and fuel water separator filters, replacing the fuel lines everywhere....drain the fuel tanks of bad gas..........then a test engine run up with a hose and new gas. Hope it runs!!!!!!!!!!!! it should ...lol

TURBO RESTO so should be ready and thread about done in a week or so!!!!!!!!!!! this is currently 4 days work

150 pictures HERE ~~~~
-MORE PICS
UPDATED Jan 20th 2010 ----- for those who just want the pics....TONS of em...follow the links below...
picture folder 2
picture folder 3
picture folder 4
picture folder 5
picture folder 6
picture folder 7
picture folder 8
picture folder 9
picture folder 10

and also 3 videos here
Huff and Doeback song HERE mp3 sound-

Last edited:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

more pics----
Cuddy bench seats...totally 80s! retro!
Before.......

SleecraftExecutive-066.jpg

AFTER. ...1 coat vinyl paint....

SleecraftExecutive-071.jpg

Before cuddy area....

SleecraftExecutive-0134b.jpg

AFTER cuddy area......

SleecraftExecutive-136.jpg

SleecraftExecutive-135.jpg

used tan vinyl spray paint on the dingy cuddy sleep pads and cleaned out the moldy storage locker (under cuddy pads) painted that too rustoleum aluminum, not its nice and bright in there!
PS the wife worked like a slave steam cleaned the interior ceiling carpet (oem installed but in decent shape just dirtty as heck)

Last edited:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

all pics HERE 150 images http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/sleekcraft1/

engine box area BEFORE

SleecraftExecutive-048.jpg

Engine bilge and deck area after glassing and resinating

SleecraftExecutive-125.jpg

painted

SleecraftExecutive-149.jpg

SleecraftExecutive-119.jpg

we took a ride with Bill on his Sleek Ambassador
(26 ft) he did a fast restore on it and after riding in it, we were highly motivated to get ours running and out on the lake, the extra length over our 17ft Glastron will make all the difference in the waves, plus the motor in our sleek is twice as big (v8) should be fast on the water..........yippppeee

SleecraftExecutive-032.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

UPDATE the UPS guy just dropped off a NEW upper housing for our Chrysler sterndrive YEAH
got it from Dave Kain at Hurrikain boat out of Michigan, he had a Brand new obsolete part laying around HOW LUCKY WE ARE!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet

sprintst

Commander

That's going to be one cool boat when you're done...

Keep it the hard work...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

That's going to be one cool boat when you're done...

Keep it the hard work...

Thanks Guys! We appreciate
your input!

Put new fuel lines on, they had it rigged poorly (they cut the hard line from the fuel pump and added the fuel water separater and fule cartridge filter on the pressure side using hoses.....
I switched the fuel filters to the suction side / feed side and need to obtain a hard line to the carb on the pressurized side, in the mean time I added actual brass fitting nipple ends to the carb and fuel pump, then double clamps and new line, for a temp to start the engine, she fired right up!

but... the carb was flooding the eng real bad and it stalled pretty fast..:eek: it's got a carter I believe, vacuum secondaries and all...anyways, checked the float, seems to be working, lots of fuel dumping from the secondary valves up top, need to disassmble it and rebuild or replace it altogether...I'd like to put a new aluminum intake and carb on, but that would defeat the DOING IT ON THE CHEAP. so a carb OH it is.....

ps 140 psi max compression, should be good to go, need to check the other 7 cylinders yet...Tuesday!:D...

also found a broken wire to the white NAV light...bad ignition switch too.. couple other minor thinigs

Last edited:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Quick update
got the new carb overhaul kit, BUT I have a LOOOONG workday tomorrow shooting here in Vegas (photos) and am working thursday and friday...sooo
not too much will get done by me, now the wife on the other hand will continue working on the SLEEK

Today my wife made a little storage cabinet, installed some more carpet

I fixed the white nav light (it was wired wrong by PO :p) also checked all cylinders for compression, pretty much 140 lbs thru and thru, found one spark plug bent closed, all plugs looked a bit carboned up, very light,... replaced em all anyways, sprayed the intake manifold with aluminum high heat paint (this is a low buck quickie remember!) and did some new gloss black on engine. (spray paint engine overhaul ha ha ha LOL)

Did some cleanup around the outside of the boat (rotten carpet pile etc)
ordered 2 new SS fittings for the broken swim platform.. $13.99 ea 90 degree with base for 3 screws
also ordered the POLI-GLOW gel coat resto kit.....ups ground so it will be a few days....

The engine box, and jump seats are ready to go back in, waiting for me to finish some eng / bilge work..Im going to replace the water hoses (3/4 heater hose) for the headers etc....the other hoses look good....

Got a blown :eek: tire to fix, axles to lube and check, paint the trailer and rebunk it....
need to do a small fiberglass repair in front bilge area......waiting for the holes I drilled into the wood separator to dry out...(had a few pinholes leaking bilge water into fwd area under deck..small amount of rot in a 2 inch area...)

Bought some new super heavy chain for the safety chains.....put in the new marine battery...

Im second guessing the silver paint in the bilge, may strip it and Gel Coat it
, paint chips could come off one day and clog bilge pump????? gel coat would last A LONG TIME...(I prefer a clean bilge area myself) that way you can see engine leaks etc....

will post pics thursday........Cheers! :)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

36 More NEW pics here

Worked a photo shoot all day yesterday at M resort (convention work)
but...I did have a few hours to tinker after work....

Got the trim in around the part of the floor where it drops down.........
we're going to install a wood lattice work that will raise the floor so it's all one level of deck....
The wife finished her vinyl install on the fuel tanks and got the rest of the carpet in, she also polished the dash area with rubbinig compound and polish...looks slick now!

Ive got some photoshop work to do today, plus a shoot tonight, so that is slowing us up a bit on the quickie resto.....

deck area BEFORE

IMG_1745b.jpg

deck area AFTER

IMG_1745.jpg

Dash area BEFORE

IMG_1752b.jpg

Dash area AFTER

IMG_1752.jpg

This isnt going in the sleek, maybye another project boat???????
good cheap solution tho!
IMG_1760b.jpg

36 More NEW pics here

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

MORE photos

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

Engine before

IMG_1741b.jpg

engine AFTER

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

last pics for today......

Engine box/jump seats BEFORE

IMG_1763b.jpg

Engine box/jump seats AFTER

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

The new Chrysler Upper housing.......

IMG_1767.jpg

this is why it needs to be replaced! LOL

SleecraftExecutive-002.jpg

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Vegas, ya'll are making great progress on her.

Love your wife's tats too!

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah yeah yeah, Go Go Go!!! That's looking good! Ougt to get plenty of attention at the lake! I miss the Newman updates, tho' :(!

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Vegas. I can't believe how quick you're moving. I think it's neat that the controls are on the port side. I don't think I've ever seen that on a boat. Always wondered why they put the controls on the opposite side of what they do in cars. Keep up the good work and keep taking pics!

jonesg

Admiral

You're a very handy fella.!

The before pics look like my after pics.:eek:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

UPDATE!!! Engine is RUNNING :D 1rst time probably, since 2004!!! ran GREAT! Brother-in-law helped overhaul the Quadrajet carb THANKS JAY!
good oil pressure 45-65 lbs....no knocking, no rattles etc..need to check timing yet, adjust idle jets etc etc.....temp guage worked too...GOOD SO FAR!
check out the videos, as I found my missing canon powershot with video capability...now I can post VIDEOS!!! yea... 2 uploaded so far.. Hope to have her on water by NEXT weekend.....3rd week sept!
http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/sleekvideo/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking good Vegas, ya'll are making great progress on her.
Love your wife's tats too!

Thanks mddubya, the wife says THANKS!

Yeah yeah yeah, Go Go Go!!! That's looking good! Ougt to get plenty of attention at the lake! I miss the Newman updates, tho' :(!

Racin, we'll be back on that one ASAP, pretty much have to just finish a couple coats of fiberglass in the eng area, then we're on to prepping the hull for Gel Coating (bottom 2/3rds) and the upper part (above the bump strip) will be Sunset Orange Pearl HOK clearcoated Automotive Kustom paint...
THEN we'll gel coat the eng bilge area, install the engine, carpet and seats, re-do the trailer......rebunk etc...LOTS to do! still have to test out the engine and stringer system trim (check for leaks) as it works, poss leaks tho WIll be back on the Newman SOOOOOON! Sunday should be back on it, Sat is LAKE DAY friday day is WORK...uhg!

Looking good Vegas. I can't believe how quick you're moving. I think it's neat that the controls are on the port side. I don't think I've ever seen that on a boat. Always wondered why they put the controls on the opposite side of what they do in cars. Keep up the good work and keep taking pics!

Hi Nitsuj
I'm not keen on the port thing, heard of a couple other boats having it that way, I prefer Starboard steering .... STEERBOARD is the origin of starboard actually, because (I believe if my facts are straight) the vikings had their steering board on the right!

You're a very handy fella.!

The before pics look like my after pics.:eek:

Hi jones....LOL, Ill have to check out your threads! PS the wife is handy too!!! Im just more "AN*L" about work...:)

Last edited:

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine sounds great Vegas, WTG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

all pics HERE 150 images http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/sleekcraft1/

engine box area BEFORE

SleecraftExecutive-048.jpg

Engine bilge and deck area after glassing and resinating

SleecraftExecutive-125.jpg

painted

SleecraftExecutive-149.jpg

SleecraftExecutive-119.jpg

we took a ride with Bill on his Sleek Ambassador
(26 ft) he did a fast restore on it and after riding in it, we were highly motivated to get ours running and out on the lake, the extra length over our 17ft Glastron will make all the difference in the waves, plus the motor in our sleek is twice as big (v8) should be fast on the water..........yippppeee

SleecraftExecutive-032.jpg

THATS A NECKED KID BACK THERE!:eek: Nice work man, should be a fun boat. Is this one gonna be a for sale item?

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Chris and Rick
Chris YES thats my daughter naked (you can see her buns in the background)
I need to blur it out LOL She is ALWAYS naked, wont wear clothes!
The SLEEK is for us, thats why the rush
, we want to use her before it cools out, plus we need to get her on the water so we can sell our current lake boat ....the 17ft Glastron Sierra open bow...finish the Newman project and buy a STARCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas your flying through this one ansd thats good cause we found a way to get ya in the Starcraft club :D.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/1378175867.html
Rick

Cool Starcraft! thanks Rick, that CL AD is a good one for $700 or less! 275 miles each way...ouch! I did see a starcraft 2 weeks abo on the lake, we gave em a thumbs up and said NICE STARCRAFT! :) Not sure if I can talk the wife into a Phoenix run but ya never know!
Right now we have 4 boats, an Rv, a VW project, and 2 trucks so we're about out of room! (no we dont have acreage!) .14 acres is our lot size..we NEED 1/4 or better! Gotta ask, What in the heck are you doing looking at Phoenix CL? lol
Hey Rick Im going to start a thread with you as my inspiration, as someone commented a while back that you have alot of "stuff" in your garage and no more room....sooo it's going to be a "WHo has The Most stuff in the Garage" pic thread! dont feel bad, the more you have in your garage, the more interesting a person you are! hahahah...hey we have ALOT of "stuff" in our garage, so I'm a contender!

UPDATE!!! Engine is RUNNING 1rst time probably, since 2004!!! ran GREAT! Brother-in-law helped overhaul the Quadrajet carb THANKS JAY!
good oil pressure 45-65 lbs....no knocking, no rattles etc..need to check timing yet, adjust idle jets etc etc.....temp guage worked too...GOOD SO FAR!
check out the videos, as I found my missing canon powershot with video capability...now I can post VIDEOS!!! yea... 2 uploaded so far.. Hope to have her on water by NEXT weekend.....3rd week sept!
http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/sleekvideo/