Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, are you sure you want to put it in the water now? Maybe just trailer it around and even to the ramps and soak up the oohs and aahs, but don't splash it. :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol that is a cool sewing machine pusher! Pat, you know me, I like to do things the hard way! ez I can go see your point, but I could still be ok with it. I am planning on adding some Sapele wood accents to the inside....so that might tie in. My real quandary is the swim ladder goose necks up and mounts to the flat part of the rear deck. So the pad on that side would be shorter (port). But I got to thinking, it will be anyhow, I'm planning on putting the fuel tank on that side also. I think I am just going to stay with the ladder for now. I need to kind of lay things out and see how they fit.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I seem to remember on another thread a ladder that slides into the hull. my memory is of course non existent but if I'm correct, I think sphelps was interested in it for his boat. Maybe he can chime in and help or at least tell me I'm completely wrong in my assumption.:facepalm:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A ladder with teak steps would look nice seeing as you are gunna add some wood to the inside ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Cor! Achmincha, I'm guessing you were wanting to know the paint? It is a single stage Dupont urethane. Its their Nason line, I was very impressed at how it lays down and flows out. Pretty forgiving in terms of not trying to run or sag.

I agree Sam on the steps....and I like the retractable ladders Pat....but I am really back to recycling the old one. It is in great shape and just needs cleaned up. Besides I need money to pay for that custom gas tank..... :eek: So I think that is the plan for now. I can stew on that, I really need to focus on the trailer right now.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
This fuggly duckling is starting to sing its swan song now!! Paint is so nice :photo: (looks at least as good as ole tractor paint!)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Chuck the main focus is oiled ladies :D

Gsxdan thanks for the complement!

Anyone have any thoughts on fuel tank size? It had two fiberglass tanks, both were toast. So I'm going to have an aluminum one made like I did for Miss Morgan. The nice thing is I have a ton of room in this girl. I was thinking around 20 or 25 gallons? I hate having two stop at the marina....usually do that once a day in Miss Morgan. I can only get 12 in her. I'm thinking this girl will get pretty thirsty.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have an idea of what kind of MPG you'll get out of the new inline 6 cyl engine? Would it be comparable to Max's fuel consumption since it's also an inline 6? A couple other key points to consider when trying to compare them are the boat and engine configurations. Your Morgan & Max combo is a high HP/weight ratio low drag hull, like a gas thirsty big block muscle car. Fuggly with her new engine will have a similar engine to Max, but with a much heavier and more draggy hull. Comparing Fuggly to a big block RV motorhome would be appropriate in this case IMHO.

I've always heard when you're building something like a barn or a garage to build it bigger than you think you'll need. I would think fuel capacity would possibly follow a similar thought process. The exception to that would be a race boat where you only want to have enough fuel onboard to finish your race. On a pleasure craft like Fuggly you're really just looking to fuel it up so you can enjoy your time on the water. As you've seen with Miss Morgan, having to come in to fuel up takes away from that time, for you and your passengers. I agree with EZ, go as large of a tank as you can. Once you've had her out on the water a few times you'll get an idea of how thirsty Fuggly will be. Once you have that figured out, then just fill it up with as much as you think you need for your trip with a little extra for reserve. You can always put in less fuel in a big tank, but trying to put in more than a small tank can hold will just make a mess in the boat.:eek:

FWIW, I'm thinking of putting dual tanks in the Laker, one in each sponson. I'm not going to put the details in my build thread until I get a few more things worked out in my head first.

BTW: I'd go with a swim platform with flip down ladders. Fuggly just seems like a good match for one with how I picture her being used in my head. As far as the materials for the platform and ladders go, I'd try to keep it retro looking so it would go well with the style and color of the boat. I'm not sure what kind of accessories were around and popular when Fuggly was built, so I'm not sure what materials to use. Might want to wait to put it on until after you get her splashed her first though. That way you can see where your water line will lay with all the changes and repairs you've made to the hull and engine.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well if staying on the water is the issue, you could always pull a tanker hull along with you and always have a fuel supply close by. :pound:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with gomopar arch. Less fuel in a larger tank is the way I'd go. Of course, this is your money I'm spending. I would assume a 30 or 35 gallon would be in the same ballpark as a 25. if the number jumps too much for the bigger tank then I would shoot for no less than 25.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning towards the 25 gallon range, but I did thing about 30. The tank will be off center, so that is something to consider. I was thinking port, since the drivers seat is on the starboard. that way if I am the only one it they counter balance. Which is overthinking it some.... but worth considering the weight. I will have the battery on the Starboard side also. The original setup was twin tanks one on each side. I could go that route, but that adds cost and more plumbing that can leak. I need to do some measuring and send off a drawing and get a quote. I was sort of surprised at Miss Morgans, full custom was only a couple hundred bucks. They made it the exact shape and located all the openings and fuel sender exactly where I wanted. Coast Guard certified and pressure tested.

I was out in the hangar tonight contemplating pulling the boat off the trailer tonight. Did some measuring and figured out how it will fit in the bay next to the paint booth (along with the Jeep and Miss Morgan). After contemplating it a while, I'm going to move both fuggly and the trailer next door for more welding and fitting before I pull her off. I want to put some simple goal post guides on the back of the trailer, and fit the bunks better. Yeah, my optimism about the trailer being almost ready got reeled in some! But better now than later!

Here's a couple birds eye shots from tonight.

I also picked up 10 BF of Sapele wood today for her.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sapele is nice wood. Great mahogany replacement.

Looking great w all in color

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks JB!

So tonight I decided while standing in the rapidly cooling off Hangar I needed to make a move on HVAC. I really want to add a package heat and air unit, but that is a way down the road. Right now I would like to have a heater on a thermostat, not fighting with turning on and off the torpedo heater. So I broke down and ordered a 80K btu Mr Heater unit heater. $450 on sale, and the same thing I have in my other shop. Works great and a good value. And its about a 6th of the cost of the package unit. I will have to run it on propane for now, need to add gas to the shop at some later date....too many projects!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Do you plan on have a kicker motor on a stand mount? It seems like this is a fisherman's thing but thought I'd ask. If so, you might want to consider a 4 stroke and carrying a kicker can onboard in case your main is compromised. It would also negate the need for a bigger tank.

I sense this is not the type of boat to need a kicker though. :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Looks awesome!!

Now your gonna need a paint matched Vista Cruiser for a tow vehicle,...............

I don't think I'd want less than a 25 gallon tank,..

My boat with a 150hp outboard has a 40 gallon main with a 8 gallon auxiliary tank the kicker runs off,..

I wish I could safely carry more fuel,............

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, seeing the bow section of your boat, I can only imagine how hard that was to spray. Did you spray it from the outside, or did you have to get inside the hull to spray it all? With so many angles and sections seems to have made it a little troublesome to get everything covered well.

And what is hardwood lumber going for in your area. The last time I bought hardwood (wormy maple) it ran $1.00 to $1.25 per board foot rough sawn. I have a planer so I plane it to my needs. Between a band saw and planer, you can cut rough sawn wood however you need. Just wondering.

One other question, I know you applied primer a few times and sanded it down for painting. Did you have any areas that were smooth but missing primer. I mean when sanding did you have and cut through while wet sanding and so little in size that you just sprayed paint over then because fiberglass resin was there? I ask because I am presently nearing that prep step and even going slowly with 400 grit, I get an occasional cut though. Not anything serious but still a cut through. I am thinking about thinning down the primer to spot spray over them and re-sand. What's your opinion? :noidea: