Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The scale was "large" GM....I might call this the hangar paint booth....it is in the hangar! I am worn smooth out....good progress but slow. I think putting it up the second time will be a lot smoother...forgot to drill some holes, had to make a HD run this morning etc. Still need to wrap the sides, add the man door and blower assembly. both of those two will be quick screw on things once they are made. I already have some tweaks in mind that will speed up assembly....Frame is complete and the top plastic is on....ready for putting the side plastic on and building the door and blower assembly.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
With all that plastic on it, are you going to ground it electrically so static electricity doesn't build up a surface charge? I would think that much plastic might be able to build up a significant surface charge and pull the dust and spray all over the place under the right (wrong?) conditions. Maybe the steel part of the frame could be tied into the building's ground line? I'm not an electrical engineer, not by a long shot, but I have had enough dealings with static electricity that stuff like that is always in the back of my mind.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Funny I was thinking about that today Gomopar..... the top sheet had a good build up when I unrolled it. Most of it seemed to dissipate, but some grounding wouldn't hurt.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Easy way would probably be to put a screw somewhere handy to hold a wire against the steel frame. Then wire that into just the ground wire on a standard wall plug end that you can stick into a standard wall outlet. Easy to hook up and easy to remove when you put the booth away.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW Arch, You have some serious building going on there. I am impressed to see your new "Paint Booth". Nice design and execution thus far. Bravo sir Bravo! :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Tape that thing up real good ... Would hate to see any over spray on the MM ...;)
Nice start on the P/B arch !!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Sam / GM! I spent tonight wrapping up the giant gift box, lol! I think its a two person, one day to set up once I get the wrinkles ironed out. So for so go, we have a boat in a bubble right now! And it did handle a 5.0 earthquake nicely Sam!

The staple and "structural engineering tape" method seems to be working nicely so far.

Miss Morgan will be on the other side of the curtian Sam.....its nice to be able to close that and open it with ease. Good investment so far.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a nice looking paint booth you've built there Arch. Looks like you have plenty of room to walk around while laying down paint and primer.

Well built indeed. Not like most of the backwoods paint booths my friends and I used to rig up. You know a couple of 2x4's with an old tarp nailed over them.:D

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A spray booth for me was to throw a drop cloth over the convertible and Crack open the garage door. lol.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
arch, did you use any type shrink plastic building the paint booth? The plastic looks so stretched on the frame, I was just wondering if you use any type heat gun to shrink it. :noidea:

tallcanadian

Captain
Uhhmmm YEAH, kinda like that "EYE SORE" Miss Morgan!!!!:D:eek:;)

Sorry for being a bit behind on this latest project . The boat is looking great by the way. And yes Wood, I agree, Miss Morgan is hard to look at, without sunglasses. I'm sure this one will be just as nice.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all the nice comments guys! I am just about wore smooth out, but wanted to post the latest!

Tnstra, it does have some good room around it, especially in the front and back. But the hanger is big, so why not take advantage of it. I am really happy with the lighting too, all those weeks and months of building the hanger are starting to pay off :D

GM its just .7 mil plastic, stretched nice and tight. There are only two pieces, the roof and the side walls......just like wrapping a Christmas present with 5 rolls of duct tape!

It is for sure Plasticized wood, lol!

Thanks TC, hope it comes out half as good as Miss Morgan!

So here are some pics from tonight.

This is the blower filter plenum....I was worried that it would vibrate things apart. Actually works like a champ. I haven't built the exhaust tunnel yet, but with the paint booth door open, it creates a nice breeze through the door way!

Here is the door assembly, Its similar to the blower housing in that it just has 4 screws that attache it. Should breakdown and store nicely.

This is the inside shot of the blower filter plenum

And this is the plastic pushed out from the fan. It does a nice job of pressurizing things.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch, two questions, How does the air escape? Because once you start spraying, the paint will get dusty looking really fast inside the booth. Second, when can I use the booth for my boat?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I always thought you wanted to have suction inside a paint booth to remove fumes as you sprayed , double ducted with filters on inlet and filters on exaust preferably close to floor level to keep everything on the floor and floor wet to hold any particles that might be floating , but the booth looks top shelf :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't think it matters on which side the fan is on .... Air will still flow in one hole and out the other ... I'm assuming ...
Not sure what arch has up his sleeve but a flex duct run out to the outside of the building for the exhaust would prolly work ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks everyone for the comments. To answer GM's question, I have a " exhaust tunnel" more or less I added a long square duct made from 2x4s and plastic to allow the fumes, and particulates to escape out into the yard. My guess is the EPA will now show up at my house now that I have said that. Just to make it easy for them to find me, my name is Woodonglass and I live in Tulsa :bounce:

I'll post some pics later. We went for paint today, but I totally hosed it....I put the sealer coat on too wet and got some sags in it. Looked really sweet then all of a sudden it sagged on me. It was in the high 60s today, I am thinking that 75 or so would have prevented that. Irregardless I dropped the ball on it and made the call to stop. So now I get to sand it all again and try again! Not a bad deal, there were a few things I missed that I can fix now, but I do loathe the sanding......but for now cheers!