Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Arch, I am very inspired by your workmanship and attention to detail. It is so easy with big projects like these to just want to plow through to the end, thanks for showing us (me!) to slow down, be meticulous, the end result will be worth the wait.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s a lot of work there Arch ! It’s amazing the amount of work you must do that no one will see ..
Very cool deal with the wire labeling!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very nice work on the dash and the wiring. I like the labeling on the bottom of the gauges so you can quickly id what your working on. All this hard work and attention to detail is going to pay off big time when you're cruising down the lake in Fuggly. :encouragement:

oldrem

Commander
Looks good. Great idea on the clear shrink - will have to try that one later myself. Wiring always intimidates me.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thank you for all the nice complements! Yes Sam it is a lot of work that no one sees! that has crossed my mind a few times while laying upside down....but if it doesn't work.....well I might have to walk the plank lol!

Busmj, I have a saying, "I have done enough things twice in my life", I always try to keep it in mind....but I have to admit I don't always follow it!

The label maker is worth the money for sure. I think the heat shrink will hopefully protect the labels. After thinking about it a bit more, I am adding a relay and a small fuse box for the accessories on the ignition circuit. Overkill, but not much money and while I am doing it might as well do it now.

I got about 95% of the under dash stuff done today. After tidying it up and adding the ignition fuse panel / relay I will be done under there. Then it will be hooking up the stuff on the aft end, blower, bilge, fuel pump, battery and stern light. I also need to run the wire for the bow light, which will be a pain!

Today was just more hooking up wires!

20180311_160652.jpg

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very Nice job, I am a IT construction manger and you would be shocked at some of the wiring work I have seen in our wiring/telcomm spaces though out our campus!!! It is so nice to see a neat clean wiring mess that is easy to inspect and repair when needed. Last Friday I did a gauge replacement on my Sea Ray, the 29 yr old factory wiring under the dash looked half as good as yours does. Keep up the good work you are on the home stretch. Fuggly is going to be one cool boat I am sure you will never see another!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complement Mr300Z! As an architect I am familiar with what you are talking about....ceilings are the worst! I don't know how many giant messes I have seen after lifting a few ceiling tiles!

I took some time of to do a little maintenance on Miss Morgan, get things ready so I could go on vacation, then spent a week at the lake. Miss Morgan was reliable as ever, and it was a good time. I have this week off also, so I am spending some time on Fuggly. I got back into the wiring today, most of which was planning and mounting some blocking. I should be back to hooking up the last of it tomorrow.

zool

Captain
Its all coming along nice Arch.....Glad to see Miss Morgan is treating you well! ...Makes me want to get the CM on the lake for a run....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Arch, Glad to here the reunion with MM was successful!! My latest trip with the BF was NOT so fruitful. Would barely start and would NOT keep running with out constant chokeing and pumping the tank bulb. I brought her home and Parked her. I'm just about ready to give up and sell her!!! I would LIKE to enjoy my time on the water and NOT have to constantly work on her. OK, OK Rant Over. Glad you're back at it and Hope to see a splash of Fugly in the near future!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Zool you need to get the CM out there!

Wood, sounds like you need a fuel pump to me....or maybe a fuel filter is stopped up? Even Miss Morgan has had her moments, trust me!

So I ended up having to go into work for a meeting today, sucks being the boss! Between that and running around looking for some terminals, I burned up a good part of the day. I did have a bit of time on Fuggly, but not near as much as I had hoped. So here are few update shots.

On the ignition switch you have an ignition power terminal. It is hot when the switch is "on" and provides power to the coil. In this case it also powers the instruments, and acts as a signal wire for the fuel pump relay and also the future radio. In the case of the fuel pump its just a signal wire letting them know its time to "turn on" their main power comes from another circuit that has constant power. The power off the ignition isn't fused so I added a second wire off of the switch to power a 4 circuit fuse block. The instruments, fuel pump relay and future radio signal wire will all be individually fused. I thought about putting the fuse block on the relay, but decided the current draw isn't much and I was over thinking it......not that I ever over think anything.....The new fuse block is at the top of the picture, next to the buss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180718_195615.jpg Views:	1 Size:	646.0 KB ID:	10616523
Speaking of making things complicated, I added a ground buss and another 4 circuit fuse block in the back. I wasn't planning on the electric fuel pump when I started out or I think I would have done things differently. The main power circuit for the fuel pump is a fairly large load, so I didn't want to run it all the way up to the front fuse block and then all the way to the back to the stern. I could have just hooked it up to the battery directly with an inline fuse. I hate those, seems like you can't ever find them when you need to. (could have done the radio and fuel pump circuit up front with inline fuses also) So to keep things neat and easy to find I added the fuse block and ground buss. I also left room on the mounting board for the main circuit breaker that will protect this fuse block as well as the main fuse block up front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180718_195710.jpg Views:	1 Size:	671.8 KB ID:	10616524

This is under the rear sundeck, starboard side. Today I was sort of kicking myself for not making it longer and extending more toward the transom. I think it will be growing to provide a mounting area for the Battery Minder, maybe a future batter switch if I add a second battery and a place to screw down camps for wire management.

Attaching things is always such a challenge in a boat, I spend half of my time gluing mounting blocks for clamps and wiring devices! And speaking of, I added some plywood on the bottom side of the starboard sundeck, for a place to screw support for all of the wires, cables and a place to coil up the extra length of the factory wiring harness for the engine. I didn't do that on Miss Morgan and it is a bit of a mess back there. This one has about 5 times as many wires and cables, so hopefully this will give me a place to tuck them somewhat neatly out of the way.

image_296162.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
it starts out so neat and tidy until you get to factory harness and add on's and the radio harnesses they make things look like you never even tried , lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Time for an update. I took vacation, got tied up with getting ready...then spent 10 days at the lake giving Miss Morgan a workout. When I got back I did some chores around the acreage, and also took some logs I have been trying to get sawn for months to the mill. I ended up with some pretty nice 8/4 red oak slabs, 14" to 18". Its amazing how much a piece of 2"x18"x10' piece of fairly wet oak weighs!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180719_105959.jpg Views:	1 Size:	619.5 KB ID:	10623741

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180719_105943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	628.6 KB ID:	10623742

I got back on the boat today, but spent a lot of time just cleaning up the shop and my trailer from the trip to the mill. This afternoon I work on some of the primary wiring back by the battery and tempoary installed the battery. I am waiting on a couple things i have ordered before I hook up the final items, but its a small list at this point. The wiring is mostly ran, just need to get it hooked up. The main thing I am waiting for is some split loom for some of the aft items in the bilge and engine compartment. I think this is the final list of items:

Fuel pump
Bilge pump
Bilge blower
Running lights

I will eventually put in a radio and a phone charging port, but that isn't even on the radar at the moment.

I did start organizing things on the board under the starboard rear deck. I coliled up and scured the excess factory wiring harness, shift cable, steering cable and throttle cable. I still have some wiring to secure, but want to do that as I terminate it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180728_192636.jpg Views:	1 Size:	649.7 KB ID:	10623743

I also took a heat gun and bent a piece of 1/2" PCV conduit to the rough shape of the front starboard gunnel / for deck. I am clamping it to the underside and using it as a chase to pull the bow light wiring from the dash to the light. It is a bit of a pain, but it should keep the wiring up out of the way and secured. I plan on using that area for storage, so I can see it getting damage if it is just laying on the deck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180728_183116.jpg Views:	1 Size:	535.4 KB ID:	10623744 I finished up the day by gluing up some wood blocks for clamp points for the conduit and a strain relief block next to the battery. I want to secure the cables powering the fuse block to it in order too keep things from getting yanked loose by accident.

I did bump the starter after hooking the battery up :D turned over nicely. I also bumped the tilt trim and it whirled nicely. So the plan tomorrow is to try bleeding the tilt trim. If I can get that running correctly, I think I should be on the downhill slide!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice slabs of oak ! Got a friend that pulls cypress and heart pine logs out of the river . Has his own mill and makes flooring and trim with it .
Fuggly really coming together nicely ! You have everything thought out as about as good as it gets ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i always like running pipe for chases for small wires , they are the ones that seem to always cause the most trouble lol especially if accessible like a hatch or something.