Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think she is turning out great arch.

Too bad we don't live closer I would gladly set you up with a nice A/C system for your hanger. I installed a gas heating system with A/C in our shop and it's always funny when people come by and realize I'm working with my garage door closed. They always comment on how comfortable it is inside no matter the temp outside.

Of course owning my own heating and air company always seems to slip their mind.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Tnstratofam I would take you up on the offer! Lol I had one of my mechanical engineers run loads on it for me.....just hasn't made it onto my spending priority list yet.

Thanks Chuck it was nice to see it back on the transom!

I did some work tonight, but mostly cleaning and organizing. I did hook up a couple of things electrically and a few odds and ends. Hopefully tomorrow I can make a dent on some of the wiring.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well I know NOTHING about OD's so all I can say is She looks NICE! I'm certain it will operate as nice as it looks!!

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow Arc! I have not been on the forum in over 1.5 years and holy cow how you came a long way. Just caught up on it all I have missed and great work! I hope my project turns out half as good. I remember miss morgan, she was great and I think you may have gone a bit ;) overkill with fuggly but it is amazing to see.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Wood there are a lot of parts in the OD....and I don't know much about it either! There is some by guess and by golly in the assembly. But I hope it all works!

Skater, thanks for the complements on both boats. I just get a little OCD sometimes, but it usually pays off in the long run. I have my fingers crossed on a lot of things....most of which I didn't touch and are 50 years old. But if we have issues I can always dig into them I guess.

The last two night I have been mainly moving parts from the small shop the the hangar and organizing for the next phase. The AC is a godsend! I want to get the wiring in so I can bleed and hopefully test the hydraulics. I am guessing if anything this is where the gremlins will be. That will be the push for the weekend. Hopefully my progress is a little quicker on this than the drive. The engine side of the electricals are all hooked up to the wiring harness. I just need to get the dash end in order and add all the misc. accessories, lights, bilge pump, depth finder, etc.

I also need to do some maintenance to Miss Morgan in the next week. I think I have the yard work caught up and can ignore that for a while!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When you gunna get some Lake Time!!!! I'm gunna splash the BF again on Thurs. or Fri. Come up and I'll give you a ride.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
well nose to the grindstone this weekend. Next weekend I head to Eufaula....next month I am taking 2 weeks off....a lot of that will be at Eufaula...phone off, absorbing sun, water, beverages and hopefully chasing scantly clad females! I will touch base with you, we still need to meet up!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok tonight I didn't get a lot done, but sort of scoped out where the new fuse block is going and a buss bar. I did pick up the wire for the fuse block back to the battery, and the battery this morning. This weekend looks like a wiring fest! Its is starting to look like a helm! And no the gauges aren't hooked up yet, but close!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180613_192445.jpg Views:	2 Size:	652.7 KB ID:	10590825

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
And by the way carpet padding makes life so much easier! And your back doesn't itch afterwards lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Its going to get a bit more cluttered...switches, speedo, fuel and depth gauge. But most of that stuff is fairly important lol.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have been working on the wiring, nothing to exciting to see yet, mostly planning. I did spend a good part of today laying out the dash and sorting out the clearances with the steering rack

20180616_095824.jpg

It is naturally right in the sweet spot for gauges and switches. After a lot of measuring I got everything laid out on the template. This is chipboard, about 1/16" thick, works great for stuff like this.

20180616_185414.jpg

I was worried about the switches, seems like cutting those holes are the hardest since they are square. Turns out the depth gauge on the upper left proved to be the pain. There were some air pockets in the layup and they chipped out when I drilled the hole/ That is really irritating at this point....if I would have only drilled the gauges and switches before paint. I've been pondering having a fiend turn some bezels to hide it....I don't think a paint fix will look very good at this point without a lot of effort. So I'm going to ponder that tonight. I need to get screws for the speedo, right lower hole and a ignition switch with a longer shaft, left lower.

20180310_195222.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Heck Arch thats some nice work there on the dash!.That nick must LOOK like a disaster to you.
All I see is craftmanship!:yo:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
omg,,/covers mouth ... gut it and restart ! that chip ..... just ruined it /storms off like a teenage drama girl to his room and slams door!
i would definitely make a oops plate to go around it, it will look fine :) awesome work as always man its neet to watch someone build something show quality:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Shame that air pocket didn’t show up in your coordination drawings so you could have planed for it Arch .. :confused:
I feel your pain .. But knowing your craftsmanship I know you will come up with something to fix !
gauges look great !!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hope everyone is having a great fathers day! As for the chip I am undecided on the fix but I will get back to it :) Thank you for the nice complements! I do like the challenge of trying to just nail it, which is hard too do! I'd just love to nail it like Foose would or Boyd used too! But that is a whole other level! I will just keep plugging away.

Sam the subcontractor who made the bubble didn't turn in testing reports or shop drawings..........:mad2:

Today I got back to wiring or planning out the wiring. step one was how to get the wires from the stern to the dash. I have been using the factory made fiberglass "hangers"....which are just half moon shaped stirps of glass that are hanging from the underside of the gunnel. They are getting full so I spent the morning pondering how to run the new wires (bilge, blower, stern light, etc) from the fuse panel under the dash. My plan (may change) is to run a 1-1/4" pvc conduit about half way, then skip about 6" and run another one all the way to the stern. I don't like running a conduit, but it seemed the easiest way to hold the wires up and get them pulled. I glued some blocks under the gunnel today, so tomorrow I should be able to attach the conduits and pull the wire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180617_194517.jpg Views:	2 Size:	544.4 KB ID:	10593336
I also built a wire caddy for the different colors of wire. I went with all 14ga to simplify things.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180617_171338.jpg Views:	1 Size:	898.2 KB ID:	10593337
I made a list of all the wires I could thing of then added 2 power spares, 3 ground spares, 1 sending unit spare, and 1 light spare (Those are all color coded, red, black, blue and white respectively)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180617_192552.jpg Views:	1 Size:	581.2 KB ID:	10593339 Hopefully tomorrow I can install the conduit and pull the wiring.

Attachments

• 20180617_194517.jpg
    20180617_194517.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 0

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Impressive planding going on there. How did you go about assigning colors for the various requirements?
Cheere!