Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Arch, I really love how Fuggly is turning out. She's going to look like a brand new boat! Your craftsmanship is stellar in my book. Can't wait to see pictures from the splash!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Arch don't rotate your pics on your PC. If they look like they're rotated to the left...leave em and upload em. They'll appear in the correct configuration,.

archbuildersmotor.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the tip Mike I will try that.

Its been a frustrating day here....and hot. I think that my driveshaft is actually a little smaller than the newer ones. The alignment tool diameter is 1.015" where it is supposed to slide into the coupler.....notice I said supposed too. It doesn't. I looked around and according to the drawings I found, it looks to be the correct size for an alpha. I bought a 1" wood dowel rod and measure it, it was about 1.005" It wouldn't fit either. I sanded it down a few thousands under an inch and it went in with a little effort. I also have a spare coupler, and checked it as I went, same story. I also checked to see if the drive shaft would slide into my spare coupler, did so nicely. So do the early drives have a smaller driveshaft? I think I am going to take it to a fiends shop tomorrow with the spare coupler and have him turn it down .017 or so.

The other issue I have is that the motor is way out of alignment with the gimble bearing (checked this with the wood dowl). Its like the engine needs to go even lower in the front....and I have adjusted the mount almost all the way down. Maybe I got the mount to tall when I made it, but I was pretty careful, seems odd to be off this much. I did compare the engine mounts and brackets between the 165 and the 120. Everything was the same except the 120 uses two different motor mounts in the rear. The 165 uses two that are the same, and correspond to one of the 120 motor mounts. I'm wondering if the one is shorter or something? I'm not sure if I used the 120 or the 165 bellhousing....so maybe its the motor mounts or maybe I just made the front mounting block too high.

I think when it cools off tonight I am going to raise up the front of the motor with the lift, pull the front mount, lower the engine down even lower to see if that starts to fix things. I don't think it will as out of whack as it is, but maybe that will eliminate the front mounting block as being the issue.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I went back out and looked at the drive shaft issue again. I still feel that the alignment tool needs turned down....but I am going to load everything up, I think including Fuggly and head to my friend's shop. He is out of town but one of his buddies told me he would turn it for me. It will be nice to get a machinist opinion, but I just don't see how the tool will fit in the coupler without being turned down. I am also thinking the alignment maybe closer than I think. I fiddled with the wooden dowel and I think once we have good fit with the coupler, I will know a lot more. This is really making me want to bu a lathe......and a freaking AC for the shop!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
crazy part is there are so many coupler combos for the mercruisers and the 3.0 and the 6 the 470 ugh lol good luck with the turning thing

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok so quick update. Late Sunday I got the alignment tool turned down.

This is the "small Leblond lathe"

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180603_152539.jpg Views:	1 Size:	642.6 KB ID:	10585388

Don's tools always amaze....just your normal stuff you have in your hobby shop lol

I only took the spare coupler and the alignment tool. After turning it down .010, and talking with his friend Wayne, he turned off another .002 and said "try it, its fits this coupler nicely." I pointed out that I thought the coupler I brought was a bit looser and had more wear than the one on the boat....then he reminded me "its easier to take it off than to put it back on!" So we ended up taking about .012" off of the end of the alignment tool, not .017 like I had originally planed.

Tonight I tried it and it went in a tad further, but no go. I had the front of the motor tilted all the way down. I have suspected the sweet spot would be lower rather than in the middle or high. That was just based on the old motor, measuring and the new motor mount location. So I started slowly raising and trying the alignment tool half a turn at a time....lots of in and out of the boat....raised it all the way up and pretty much had the same results, no beuno!

About this time I had the brilliant idea (not sure of why I didn't think of this Saturday) to pull the drive shaft off my spare drive and try to use it as an alignment tool. Long story short I lowered the engine back down to almost the full down position and got the shaft to slide in with a bit of a shove at the end. Wasn't quite that easy...but after an hour of fiddling with it that is where I left it. based on more measuring and my results from using the drive shaft I think we need to spin off another .005 and the alignment tool should work. That would put us at the orginal .017 wast thinking about taking off. Well I guess safe beats sorry when it comes to trimming things down. Hopefully after that I will be back to where I started Saturday and can get the drive in! Ugh what a pain, I swear this drive will fight till the end!

Willyclay

Captain
Hang in there Arch, I know you can whip this thing! It's usually the simple stuff that requires so much attention. Good luck!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
seems so odd that this tool doesn't fit did you compare the tool to the driveshaft? that would have told you if tool is off or some other problem , i am probebly already stating obvious but had to ask.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Micky the tool is built to all of the drawings I can find on how to make one. That being said, I compared it to both drive shafts and the spare coupler I had. It was bigger than both driveshafts measuring to the valley between teeth and wouldn't fit in the coupler. That is how I came up with it being oversized about .017" I also tried the coupler on both drive shafts, it fits nicely. There were a lot of small things that are different about this drive than the newer ones (70 and newer), I'm chalking this up to being one more thing. The shoulder on the tool fits nicely in the gimbal bearing. I compared that to the actual shoulder on the drive shafts and its spot on. Don't ask me why the coupler seems to be different.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
that's what i was wondering , i would have mic'ed it then cut the tool down , is that a Mr drive? just before alpha?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
think i have the drill pattern for that drive, i saw it on sale for 50 bucks figured might need one day :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I haven't quite figured out what the designation is, I think actually pre MR. It was made from 67-69 based on the serial number, guessing a 68. I took off the afternoon to wait on the AC guy to come by. One of my friends came by and we took another .001 with some emery cloth and it went in nicely. I have the alignment really close now, naturally the AC guy got here just as we were dialing it in. I will probably fiddle with the alignment a tad more when it cools off. Glad to have that sorted out!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might consider using some kind of Temporary Partition to Kool down just a portion of the shop. Trying to do it all MIGHT get a bid pricey!!!! I'm probably gunna build a shop this summer and AC IS for sure on my list. However my shop is only 1/3 the size of yours.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Wood I have an industrial curtain down the middle of mine, which is kind of like a giant shower curtain. Anyhow it cuts the space in half. The ac guy was actually tinkering with the house AC. But I did buy a 2 ton window unit today. Its too small but will knock the edge off things. I am eventually putting in a 5 ton package unit when I finish building out the "hanger". When I put it in I will move the window unit next door to my dads shop, which should work nicely. I did unload the window unit tonight, but no more work on Fuggly. But at least I am over one more hump!

zool

Captain
I use a crappy window unit and believe me, just knocking the edge off goes a long way, keeps you from dripping sweat on ur work, to just being uncomfortable....nothing a cold one cant cure from there !

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well Zool the AC is in and works surprisingly well considering how undersized it is. I finished up installing it about 8:30 last night covered in sweat! It was nice to feel that cold breeze!

So this morning with a bit of cussing and some fiddling around the drive went in! Filled it with oil and installed the rams.

20180609_113201.jpg
Now I need to test continuity on the wiring harness for the tilt trim, then install it and the main wiring harness. After that we should be able to bleed the hydraulics and see how the tilt and trim work.

zool

Captain
Il take your word on the AC Arch ;)......but the OD looks real COOL..nice job!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Zool. I started sorting out the wiring and pulling the wiring harnesses. progress but nothing picture worthy !