Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
The yellow thing on the lid has a membrane type push button that uses LEDs to display how much juice is left in the battery. I also stuck a 12V cig lighter type power port on the lid as well. I can't take credit for making those though, I just swapped them over from a big battery box I had to a smaller one that fit the rail better.

The rail really isn't as nice as you're thinking though. It's in the middle of a rebuild right now, but that project got put on the back burner when I started building the Laker.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha, if it works, go for it. There are a lot of circuits out there that can monitor a battery and display the results continuously or just when a button is pressed. And they are not expensive either, just in case you want more of them for other battery issues.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for all the ideas around the battery for the boat. Another thing that has popped in my head from time to time is the gas tank. First, I'd like to have a fuel gauge on the dash so I'll need to install a sender unit in it. The tank is just one of those standard 6 gallon old metal tanks. Has anyone installed one of those senders in a tank like that? Also, does anyone know if there are adapters for attaching a hose to the tank instead of the lid? For attaching a deck-mounted lid? I have one of those standard 6 gallon metal outboard tanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for all the ideas around the battery for the boat. Another thing that has popped in my head from time to time is the gas tank. First, I'd like to have a fuel gauge on the dash so I'll need to install a sender unit in it. The tank is just one of those standard 6 gallon old metal tanks. Has anyone installed one of those senders in a tank like that? Also, does anyone know if there are adapters for attaching a hose to the tank instead of the lid? For attaching a deck-mounted lid? I have one of those standard 6 gallon metal outboard tanks.

Funny (odd, not hilarious) you mention using an old standard metal 6 gallon tank and want to install a fuel sender setup. I am presently doing the same thing. I have a lot of clever ideas in my head, but nothing actual concrete yet. I want to do the exact same thing but also want to be able to easily disconnect it when I decide to remove it from the boat. I have that all figured out, but the actual sender is still up in the air. I am presently looking to modify the actual tank gas cap for the sender installation and use a reed sender setup. We'll see.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Just got my hands on this bow handle for the boat. Should look nice once I get it installed. Now to find some matching cleats as well.

Attachments

• photo256998.jpg
    photo256998.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
Evil-bay
Vintage boat cleats

Search item# 332049685483

Similar enough?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice buy on the bow handle. Probably not what you are wanting, but I was really surprised at how cheap I got a custom made aluminum tank. It allows me to get 12 gallons in the area where I had the old 6 gallon removable tank on Miss Morgan. It gave me a lot more range and came with the sending unit. I actually specified all of the tank dimensions and shape. Plus I gave them specific locations for the sending unit, pickup and filler neck locations. Fabricated, Coast Guard certified and delivered it was a couple hundred bucks. I used SP tank out of NJ. I just sent in a request for a 25 gallon one for Fuggly. I miss the removable tank a little, but the range more than makes up for it. Just a thought, I do like the look of the old steel tanks.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Evil-bay
Vintage boat cleats

Search item# 332049685483

Similar enough?

Ooo! They clearly don't match the search I have going. I need to refine it a bit. But they do look quite nice. Thanks for passing the post along!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Nice buy on the bow handle. Probably not what you are wanting, but I was really surprised at how cheap I got a custom made aluminum tank. It allows me to get 12 gallons in the area where I had the old 6 gallon removable tank on Miss Morgan. It gave me a lot more range and came with the sending unit. I actually specified all of the tank dimensions and shape. Plus I gave them specific locations for the sending unit, pickup and filler neck locations. Fabricated, Coast Guard certified and delivered it was a couple hundred bucks. I used SP tank out of NJ. I just sent in a request for a 25 gallon one for Fuggly. I miss the removable tank a little, but the range more than makes up for it. Just a thought, I do like the look of the old steel tanks.

Thanks for the info on the custom tanks. I have thought about something like that so I'll definitely keep that info handy. I may decide to get something custom that fits in the front at some point.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Dang that is a nice find! You should just screw it down right into the table and admire. I'm sure the admiral won't mind. LOL. Been following all along and it's time for me to say, with everyone, else how great a feat you are accomplishing in building your boat from ground up. Fastening that bling will be a great feeling!
​Dale

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Not too sure how SAFE this iBoaters installation is but...This is what he did. About 1/2 way down the post.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-do-with-a-14-restoration-pictures#post258815

Wow. His boat turned out nice. I like the idea of the backup motor. I don't have room for one in mine but still a good idea. That sender installation is along the lines of what I had in mind. I would think as long as you got it sealed properly and fastened sercurlely, it should be safe. My tank is slightly rounded on top so I'd have to make some sort of ring to go in between to keep the sender plumb.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, AND, the wiring should be a bit better to ensure no accidental sparking etc...;) If you do it you MUST post your processes and results!!!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I'd like to follow along to learn before building a Spira Galveston. Cheers!

Hi Pcolafisher and welcome aboard. By all means feel free to tag along. I have gotten many helpful tips and advice during my project on this forum. I would also suggest you look through many of the threads you'll find in the signatures, if you haven't already. There's a ton of good information and great ideas.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, AND, the wiring should be a bit better to ensure no accidental sparking etc...;) If you do it you MUST post your processes and results!!!

I would probably use a set of Anderson Power Poles for my setup. In my experience they are a bit more reliable than what were used in that thread (can't think of what they are called) and they are also polarized so they fit only one way. I have used them for many of my other low voltage projects.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so not sure how I managed to miss this, but I will need to do some work on the stemband where it ends underneath the bow. While working on aligning the skid rails something just didn't seem right. The chalk line I snapped just didn't line up with where I expected it to be. So after some measuring and looking I found that it is about a 3/4" off center! :facepalm: I'm guessing that will act as a rudder and keep pulling the bow to one side in the water. So now I am pondering how to fix it. I'm thinking the right thing to do is to carefully cut the joint between the stemband and the hull several inches, then straighten it up and attach it again. Luckily I noticed it now while I can still, fairly easily do something about it. Good thing I have plenty of fiber cloth and epoxy left over. :lol:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Dang that is a nice find! You should just screw it down right into the table and admire. I'm sure the admiral won't mind. LOL. Been following all along and it's time for me to say, with everyone, else how great a feat you are accomplishing in building your boat from ground up. Fastening that bling will be a great feeling!
​Dale

Thank you for the kind words Dale! I am looking forward to bling it out! :lol:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The skid rails are installed! I worked on them this weekend and managed to get them lined up properly. Last night I attached them with a bunch of 5200 and a few screws each. I rounded and tapered their front edges a bit to reduce drag. Now I just need to straighten up the stemband and then it is on to priming and painting.

Attachments

• photo257154.jpg
    photo257154.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
pek, you are coming along with your boat build very well. Nice job.