Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Here's my cruiser, I am thinking of selling it, it's BUILT and a hell of a rock crawler.

P7080219.JPG

Full hydro, 3 link, LT1, etc, etc, etc

nice man

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well tonight I got in the boat and actually felt good about the way it is turning out.

I painted the trailer black
cut off the side pads
and put the boat back on the trailer

The cap is waiting to be sanded down with 150, cleaned and painted. The cap is 100% stripped, nothing but fiberglass and almost all old button holes filled and sanded.

Here are some pictures of where the project sits now. I SO cannot wait to get into the mechanicals/electrical.

I also picked up another 3 gallons of resin which puts me at 16 gallons so far. I don't think I will need it all, but you never know.

The transom needs to be hit with 150 cleaned and painted. See my new pretty ski tow? It is huge at 3" diameter and 304 stainless.

100_1669_small.jpg

Side of the boat. I started wet sanding one side and will have to recoat both sides of the boat as the brown is showing through. I think I painted when it was too cold as the paint isn't as smooth as I wanted, but it does look great from 3 feet away. (before the wet sanding) Notice no more side bunks on the trailer.

100_1670_small.jpg

Here is the cap, everything is yellow due to the lighting, I still have some glue to remove off the bottom of the dash, but that shouldn't take long.

100_1671_small.jpg

and the bilge. This looks much better in person. I have the bilgekote just waiting for the time to paint.

100_1672_small.jpg

Thank you guys for the kind words. I have so much going on now, need to get back into shape for some spring bike rides, vacation, house needs repairs, but the boat seems to be taking up most of my time. Going this summer without a boat is NOT an option and I am under a deadline. I hate doing project under time constraints...this is suppose to be fun. My next one will NOT be forced because I will have the P.M.Sb I guess I was just feeling guilty because I wasn't working on the boat enough and I usually do an hour a night on it plus 4 or more hours on the weekend.

Then I have the other worries:

Did I seal the outdrive bellows properly?
Is the shift cable going to work?
Is the crack in my outdrive an issue (wasn't all last summer)?
Is the motor going to work?
yada yada yada... One step at a time.

MTribe08

Thank you guys for the kind words. I have so much going on now, need to get back into shape for some spring bike rides, vacation, house needs repairs, but the boat seems to be taking up most of my time. Going this summer without a boat is NOT an option and I am under a deadline. I hate doing project under time constraints...this is suppose to be fun. My next one will NOT be forced because I will have the P.M.Sb I guess I was just feeling guilty because I wasn't working on the boat enough and I usually do an hour a night on it plus 4 or more hours on the weekend.

Then I have the other worries:

Did I seal the outdrive bellows properly?
Is the shift cable going to work?
Is the crack in my outdrive an issue (wasn't all last summer)?
Is the motor going to work?
yada yada yada... One step at a time.

Hey man..hang in there, you've done an amazing job on that thing, and before you know it, you'll get to a point where it starts to all come together quickly.

I do understand however, the "overwhelming" feeling that happens at times. Ya get out there ready to tackle some projects and you end up sitting there thinking about everything and have a hard time getting started.

Just know, your project and work has been an inspiration to get mine done. My deck is officially glassed in, edges ground and cleaned up and awaiting one last sand with 80grit before I lay down the Gel Coat. I picked it up today and should have it all done next week sometime.

Have fun out here in AZ..the weather has been amazing lately.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same overwhelming feelings a lot:(, but like the others guys have said, one step at a time, I thought the grinding would be awful, but is pretty good therapy, thankfully I get to do that outside.
Your project looks great, keep up the good work, you guys continue to amaze and inspire me as well.:)

Friscoboater

Captain

I am so there with you man. I am scared to death that something is not going to work. Did I do everything right, did I remember to this... etc...etc. I am going to get this thing back on the trailer today and I hope that the inspiration comes back.

system-f

Today I cleaned out the garage BIG TIME. Tomorrow I do finishing sanding before paint. IT looks like the sides need another coat of paint.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

probably the most ambarassing thing would be... did I do this right, did this get finished, gas, oil, crap forgot to put in the plug:eek:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey System F just be glad you dont have like 9 projects like me! at-least you have a chance at actually finishing something! lol I go from one project to another constantly...

Keep the faith! :D

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good! your boat is looking sweet! I cant wait to see this bad boy on the water soon! Dont stress or push it too much, its not even spring yet!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Nice work.
Don't clean up too well or you will never find anything again. :D
Keep it rolling.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey Kieth,

Things are looking great. I am back to really working on my boat now, and the Crownline is out of the picture. Lets get these things on the water!!!!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

You still chugging along? We have not heard from you.

Jay

system-f

Oh yes, just lazy with the updates. I have TONS of stuff going on right now, but am still finding time to work on the boat almost every night.

Transom assembly is on!

I dropped the engine in last night but still have to glass the front mount.

I am going to have to pull the bellhousing off the gimbal housing because the water hose is kinking on me. I'm pretty sure it is not the right length, so I will order a mercruiser part.

The cap is ready to be primed. Since there are so many gelcoat cracks I have to use the easypoxy undercoat to fill them in before I put easypoxy down.

I hope to have it operational by the begining of April...and then the interior can begin. I still have to purchase a gauge set and some electrical components.

Next Friday I leave on vacation for a week. I am going to leave the boat in the backyard, but I have built a PVC frame to sit on top of the hull and support a new huge tarp I bought.

There are still a couple of huge worries I have and some comments:

1. The transom mount on the inside of the transom can move up or down about 1/8" due to the oval shaped bolt holes. How in the world do you get it set perfect so engine alignment isn't messed up? I thought the only adjustment was on the front of this engine! (I tried to eyeball it, but might have to use a sissor jack on the oilpan to get it right.

2. The SEI bellows and shift cable setup worries me. Everything seems to be fine except the water hose and the cable actually looks nice. I think from now on it is mercruiser only parts in this area and if I have to do the bellows again it isn't the END of the world.

3. Easypoxy touches up awesome, but a foam roller is not a foam roller is not a foam roller:

The 9" wide Home depot yellow foam roller that is not so dense leaves runs and applies too much paint. The 3-4" wide very denise white roller that Home Depot sells is awesome and applies a very thin coat of paint.

4. I am missing some bolts. I was very carefull (so I thought) in putting all of my hardware together so it wouldn't get lost. I guess I was wrong, but at least my local hardware store has TONS of stainless hardware.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Keith,
Enjoy your vacation.
Good to hear the boat is coming along too.
Bob

cranca

Recruit

Hi. Been lurking and following ur thread. Hope you had a great vacation. But, I am going thru withdrawls here. Any updates?

system-f

Alright, I will get some tonight.

We got back from vacation Monday morning at 2:30am and I have been dying to get back into the boat.

Where I am at:

Motor is in
Cap is on and preped for Pettit undercoat
picked up 2 quarts of undercoat today

What I need Just to get it to an "OOps water testing stage":

Gauges
fuse box and wires
battery
Seat
harmonic balancer

The only thing holding me back is money now.