Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

I plan to change mine too. That sounds a lot better then buying on of those tools they are so proud of. They seem to have a different tool for everything and big $ for all of them.
Bob

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jay, I haven't gotten the parts to rebuild the gimbal assembly yet. I am not at all worried about it. This thing is mechanical and just like any car part I have worked on except aluminum and more fragile.

Saturday we mounted the cap above the hull suspended from the ceiling. I test fit the cap to find out if the gastank can be removed with the cap in place and I am glad I did because it can't! So...before I can do anything else I have to finish the gas tank. The gastank looks perfect, shiny and clean inside and minimal rust outside. Right now it is painted and I just have to put the strainer assembly and shut off valve back on. For fuel line I am running marine rated rubber hose. To hold the gastank down I am going with a different approach. Before the tank was held in place by blocks of wood fiberglassed around it and plumbers tape over the tank. I have made several blocks of aluminum that will bolt to the upper deck and clamp the tank's lip to the deck. I can get away with this mounting method because the tank is made of steel and the lip is very very strong and thick (remember this was made in the 70's).

Pics later... I hope to get the cap down tonight and sealed up.

system-f

More pictures.

Gas Tank in and secured
Cap on and sealed
gauges out
wiring out
steering out
transom repair has started
transom holes drilled
99% parts ordered

First pictures of the Dallas boat show.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/DallasBoatShow2010/

Cap going on

100_1603_small.jpg

Gastank Mounted

100_1604_small.jpg

My mess of gauges
100_1649_small.jpg

Before shot

100_1650_small.jpg

After shot

100_1651_small.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

What did you think of the show?

The new Regal 2300 did it for me.

You guys kill me on your work progress. Nice.

system-f

I was apauled at the price of ski boats and boats in General. I was REALLY impressed with the 25 foot Searays and some of the tri-toons were NUTS.

I was so pissed off at the price of ski boats, though, and the stupid "I"M SO COOL" crap they have. LCD dashes and several thousand dollar stereos. Everything on them is overpriced beyond belief. The mastercraft I have pictured was 100k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only ski boats worth a crap were the Moomba's and the Supras. A decent Moomba, with the same power package as everyone else, a small 4 channel amp and 6 nice speakers with a good head unit, NO wood construction, was $37k. I do not have 37k, but that was far more reasonable than 80-100k. I talked with a guy who owned 5 Moombas and was there helping the Moomba people out. He told me ?yeah and this boat is only 37k so you won?t feel so bad if you don?t use it?. I spent $1.4k on my boat and about $500 to get it going and used it every weekend after I owned it except for one. If I spent 37k on a boat I would have dry suit gear to use it in the winter first because I love the lake and second because I love boats.

The boat show made me happy that I am restoring.

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was it only boats there or were there accessories and other goodies that would interest someone that is not in the market to buy a new boat?

Moodrid

Cadet

Yes they have some booths with life jackets and things.Not a ton of things.

system-f

They didn't have much. I was hoping to see some boat hardware, but there was none. They did have a guy making customer boat numbers and I wished I remembered mine.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

system-f, I'm with yah on those prices. I'm glad I have a good used one also.

Jeff

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was apauled at the price of ski boats and boats in General. I was REALLY impressed with the 25 foot Searays and some of the tri-toons were NUTS.

I was so pissed off at the price of ski boats, though, and the stupid "I"M SO COOL" crap they have. LCD dashes and several thousand dollar stereos. Everything on them is overpriced beyond belief. The mastercraft I have pictured was 100k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only ski boats worth a crap were the Moomba's and the Supras. A decent Moomba, with the same power package as everyone else, a small 4 channel amp and 6 nice speakers with a good head unit, NO wood construction, was $37k. I do not have 37k, but that was far more reasonable than 80-100k. I talked with a guy who owned 5 Moombas and was there helping the Moomba people out. He told me ?yeah and this boat is only 37k so you won?t feel so bad if you don?t use it?. I spent $1.4k on my boat and about $500 to get it going and used it every weekend after I owned it except for one. If I spent 37k on a boat I would have dry suit gear to use it in the winter first because I love the lake and second because I love boats.

The boat show made me happy that I am restoring.

Not to hijack your rebuild thread, but I agree 100% with your rational. Some guys spend a lot of money to look cool in hopes of getting a little vitamin P. A few years ago you could get a new Moomba for under $30k. I had hoped that our current economic mess would have brought down the price of boats. I saw several '08s and '09s leftovers that were priced above last years prices. I hope the dealers and builders have some deep pockets. Otherwise we'll be choosing between solar powered Yamaha's and Ching-Shing-Ways in a few years.

No go-fast boats this year either. I missed drooling over the Formulas, Fountains and Cigarettes.

system-f

There are tons of go-fast boats at our tie up.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

New is always nice but is it really practical for most?
I love the lines of my old boat and several other's being restored here on iboats. If I spend $4-5 K on my boat, I will still be way ahead of current price tags. The money we save will buy a lot of fun on the lake for years to come.
system-f,
How's your boat progress going?
Bob

system-f

My boat is coming together. Got most of the parts in, just putting it back together. Recrod snow for north Texas today and too cold to paint.

system-f

Yes, I am still working on the boat almost daily. I have a nice week vacation coming up in March, but I need that for relaxation.

I have all the hardware off the cap and have started sanding it preping it for paint. All of the decals in this picture have been removed and I am working on getting the stupid chrome trim off.

100_1653_small.jpg

When I sit down and start thinking about the interior work, stereo work, even filling in the button holes on the cap I get seriously over whelmed. Oh and then there is the super special swim platform that HAS to be on the boat before it can be used :( Oh well, I just keep going out in the garage and doing a little work at a time. I am done with 99% of the glass work on the hull and that makes me feel a lot better.

The front motor mount is still not in, but I am seriously thinking about waiting until the motor is hanging above the bilge before installing it because I want to make sure there is enough up and down adjustment.

I take all that back I said above. Right now I really think it is the interior work that has me overhwelmed. The rest is easy...have done it before.

yes I have more pictures, but I haven't gotten around to uploading them. OHH that reminds me, need to order a shift arm from iboats which I had to crack off when I did the bellows.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

When I sit down and start thinking about the interior work, stereo work, even filling in the button holes on the cap I get seriously over whelmed.

I'm right there with ya. You go out there with some expectation of progress and you just end up sitting in the boat pondering. Break it down into smaller parts.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey system-f,
ezmobee is right, Don't think about the entire project, Just think about the goal for each day and before you realize it you will be sitting on the lake.
It's coming along great. Just keep moving.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

That happened to me a few weeks ago, and I had to take some time off. Work got really busy and it kept my mind off the boat. Now I am really ready to get back on it.

Keep the faith.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

That is the only way I got thru sanding the gelcoat. I just wanted to get one side of the bottom of the hull sanded with 180 grit one night. Then the other side, then one gunwale, before I knew it It was all polished and done. Now I am anxious to get the materials to do the next steps.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

System,

Don't forget your plan, floating and running. All the other stuff is never really "finished".