Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

95roadking

Cadet
Re: Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

I had the exact same problem. Been a couple years now so bear with me. On the plastic plate where the adjustment screws for air and gas screw into, mine had a hairline crack. Very hard to detect. The plastic plate screws onto the top of the carb. Google it. It'll even show how to drill and tap an extra hole for the plate to stop it from sucking air. I didn't do that tho. I wasn't paying $100 for a piece of plastic so I forced some RTV into the crack. Let it dry real good. Been 2 yrs. now. No problem!!!

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No sir i meant to the inlet part,that where i was to hook it to and that would tell the fuel pump was pulling.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From a distance, and with getting an accurate description almost like pulling teeth :) , my diagnosis is that you need to change out the original fitting on the motor...and I would do it with a Rube Goldberg adaptation of the same fitting that you have on your tank. Get a coupler and barbed fitting and a short length of fuel line to the fuel pump.

FYI, Academy Sports is not an OMC dealer....they sell Attwood aftermarket stuff. You were asked repeatedly whether they were OEM fittings....you said yes.
They aren't!

I've had a couple of very frustrating events when mixing OEM OMC gas line stuff with aftermarket. Never again.

That is precisely why we were all asking "is it OEM?"
No sir no longer the Academy hose or fittings ive done away with them,these cam from the Dealer.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you meant to the outlet ???

No sir i was told to hook it up between the fuel line in the motor to the inlet side of the pump and that would tell me what the pump was pulling,was that wrong? Should it be between fuel pump and carb?

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No sir no longer the Academy hose or fittings ive done away with them,these cam from the Dealer.
All of this was changed out before i took it out on Monday

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the exact same problem. Been a couple years now so bear with me. On the plastic plate where the adjustment screws for air and gas screw into, mine had a hairline crack. Very hard to detect. The plastic plate screws onto the top of the carb. Google it. It'll even show how to drill and tap an extra hole for the plate to stop it from sucking air. I didn't do that tho. I wasn't paying $100 for a piece of plastic so I forced some RTV into the crack. Let it dry real good. Been 2 yrs. now. No problem!!!

So you didnt drill and tap another hole? Just RTV?

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the op is using attwood connectors .....aka, "fits johnson /evinrude/ etc etc"......its almost a futile effort to trouble shoot.

If they were bought from a Dealer are they not OMC?? and will OMC evinrude fittings fit johnson??

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all this mess that ive created lets just start at post #76 That is when i got everything from the Dealer.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you see the crack after or before you took the plastic plate off??

theblob

Banned

Did you always have your tank full when testing it?did it act up when gas got low? Because even though you put new line in tank when your going wot gas will move to back of tank chance could be getting air from inside tank. Or the fitting on tank .it wont suck air while full .i know probly not the problem,but like one guy said could be simple.ive seen people replace all kinds of stuff on cars and all that was wrong in the end was just a plug in.if you put new hose in tank could you have cracked it or hose to long.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you always have your tank full when testing it?did it act up when gas got low? Because even though you put new line in tank when your going wot gas will move to back of tank chance could be getting air from inside tank. Or the fitting on tank .it wont suck air while full .i know probly not the problem,but like one guy said could be simple.ive seen people replace all kinds of stuff on cars and all that was wrong in the end was just a plug in.if you put new hose in tank could you have cracked it or hose to long.

Yes ran it when it was full i thought about that too.ty

phillnjack2

Ensign

well this is all just so bloody obvious what the problem is.
the guy has engine problems at wide open throttle.
he then buys all sorts of stuff and connects it all up in every way he can and still crap at full throttle.
he then lends his friends tank and pipe and the engine runs good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well go get a good tank and fuel line and the probelm will vanish,its the tank thats the problem.
the pipe inside the tank is probably corroded and letting in air near the top.

with all these so called proper pipes connected,i would love to know how he see's bubbles in the fuel ???
somewhere some piece of pipe must be clear pipe !!!! this is totaly wrong.

Now if he is using jubilee clips he will get air,if using zip ties he will still get air.
he needs proper clips to eliminate all air bubbles.

Now being as his friends tank and line set up work good on his engine,dont everyone agree he just needs a new tank and fuel line from one dealer only ?
i would go back to dealer who i got the new pipe from and ask him for a nice new plastic fuel tank and for the dealer to fit the line to it for him with the new proper omc connector.
then get the supposedly mechanic to take off the clear hose that must be on the engine or you cant see any air bubbles and connect it all up properly.
i would say the mechanic has no brains and dont understand what he is doing at all.
If the pipe is clear then that could be giving the air thats being seen.

the best and cheapest thing to do is buy the tank and pipe from your friend

need pic of the pipe he is seeing bubbles in !!!!!!! i bet its nylon reinforced rubbish.

phill

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well this is all just so bloody obvious what the problem is.
the guy has engine problems at wide open throttle.
he then buys all sorts of stuff and connects it all up in every way he can and still crap at full throttle.
he then lends his friends tank and pipe and the engine runs good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well go get a good tank and fuel line and the probelm will vanish,its the tank thats the problem.
the pipe inside the tank is probably corroded and letting in air near the top.

with all these so called proper pipes connected,i would love to know how he see's bubbles in the fuel ???
somewhere some piece of pipe must be clear pipe !!!! this is totaly wrong.

Now if he is using jubilee clips he will get air,if using zip ties he will still get air.
he needs proper clips to eliminate all air bubbles.

Now being as his friends tank and line set up work good on his engine,dont everyone agree he just needs a new tank and fuel line from one dealer only ?
i would go back to dealer who i got the new pipe from and ask him for a nice new plastic fuel tank and for the dealer to fit the line to it for him with the new proper omc connector.
then get the supposedly mechanic to take off the clear hose that must be on the engine or you cant see any air bubbles and connect it all up properly.
i would say the mechanic has no brains and dont understand what he is doing at all.
If the pipe is clear then that could be giving the air thats being seen.

the best and cheapest thing to do is buy the tank and pipe from your friend

need pic of the pipe he is seeing bubbles in !!!!!!! i bet its nylon reinforced rubbish.

phill

Try going back and reading post # 76,it does explain what hoses,fitting and all that is being used.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try going back and reading post # 76,it does explain what hoses,fitting and all that is being used.

Also the mechanic didnt put the yellowish clear Tygon fuel line on,i did and it came from a thread on here. That fuel line runs from the fuel pump to the carb,thats the only place where its used and thats where i see the bubbles..

theblob

Banned

Your buddys tank and line could have just been a cowinsidense sorry about spelling.can you try his tank and line again to make sure.because that is when maybe nothing was going to go wrong.doesnt mean his tank was cure.sometimes stuff happens and makes you think thats what was wrong.after taking carb off a few times you sure every thing is right with float because when running wot and you squeeze bulb doesnt that raise the float a touch? Thats the way mine is the floats a little loose from clamp.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your buddys tank and line could have just been a cowinsidense sorry about spelling.can you try his tank and line again to make sure.because that is when maybe nothing was going to go wrong.doesnt mean his tank was cure.sometimes stuff happens and makes you think thats what was wrong.after taking carb off a few times you sure every thing is right with float because when running wot and you squeeze bulb doesnt that raise the float a touch? Thats the way mine is the floats a little loose from clamp.

I will run it again with his tank,my new OMC fuel line ran and ran on a different motor on Monday so i pretty sure its good. I will check the float again and post results. Yes when squeezing the bulb it should raise the float. TY

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From a distance, and with getting an accurate description almost like pulling teeth :) , my diagnosis is that you need to change out the original fitting on the motor...and I would do it with a Rube Goldberg adaptation of the same fitting that you have on your tank. Get a coupler and barbed fitting and a short length of fuel line to the fuel pump.

FYI, Academy Sports is not an OMC dealer....they sell Attwood aftermarket stuff. You were asked repeatedly whether they were OEM fittings....you said yes.
They aren't!

I've had a couple of very frustrating events when mixing OEM OMC gas line stuff with aftermarket. Never again.

That is precisely why we were all asking "is it OEM?"

I did a search for Rube Goldberg adaptation and it didnt come up with anything,what is that???

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Rube Goldberg would it be the same fitting on my tank and screw a barbed fiitting onto that and attach fuel hose to that? If so how do i attach it to the motor where my original fitting is bolted on?