Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

Pull the carb & look at the float level. You may not be getting enough fuel in the bowl.

This float has 2 settings, one upside down, so the float closes the needle, the bottom of the float should be paralell with the metal body. This is the shut off level utilizing the float needle valve so the carb does not flood.

The other setting is how far open it goes, allowing fuel into the bowl. There is a tab on far rear of the float pivot metal. This tab bears against the needle valve seat base. It is the stop for allowing fuel into the carb and at the same time not allowing the float to open so much that it may bind, allowing it to flood. I have not seen any measurements in any service manuals, but by bending this tab so when the carb is laying right side up, you can adjust this open height setting. I have found on most of my carbs 1 1/4" is the setting (longest point from the metal body to of the bottom of the float) that works for me.

Maybe there is a number out there, but I have never seen it in print.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Float drop is one thing to check; I had to set mine on a 77 johnny at more than the 1 1/4" to get enough fuel to stay in carb to stay on WOT . Good luck

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took the motor out again yesterday and pulled the fuel pump pressure check on it with WOT going,it stayed around 2-1/2 to 3,also i pulled the new fuel line off and put on a clear house from tank to fuel pump to see if any air bubbles were in it,it ran great,put the new black fuel line back on and air bubbles and running like crap again,put clear line back on and again ran great. Today i put another new fuel line on it but weather to bad to run it and see. Have to let yall know..

BonairII

Commander

Def sounds like the black fuel line was defective somehow....and let air in. The new hose should square you away.

Out of curiosity, is the black fuel line and the clear line...the same inside diameter? I'm wondering if maybe the clear line was making a better seal at the nipple connectors.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Def sounds like the black fuel line was defective somehow....and let air in. The new hose should square you away.

Out of curiosity, is the black fuel line and the clear line...the same inside diameter? I'm wondering if maybe the clear line was making a better seal at the nipple connectors.

Yes both fuel lines were 5/16 I D and i do believe the clear line made alot better contact

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now im really lost,i put the new 5/16 fuel line on today and ran the motor,back to bubbles in between the fuel pump and carb. after about 40 yard at top end it want to start surging real bad again, my fuel line was about 3 feet long. i hooked an old hose up from another tank which was about 6 feet long,it ran fine so i hooked my hose to his tank,same thing bubbles and running bad,so i hooked his 6ft hose to my tank and it runs fine. I dont get it,ive put 3 new hoses on it with no luck and when i put his on it it goes fine..Does it matter the length of hose,pluse i crank down my hose clamps and i noticed on part of his it was just zip tied. Please feel free to shim in on this PLEASE,PLEASE

nwcove

Admiral

as mentioned before.....are you using genuine omc connectors???? you also maybe cranking those hose clamps down to tight and deforming the hose at the connectors.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

At least you have narrowed the problem down to your fuel line between tank and engine. I found
that some of the aftermarket fuel connectors look just like an OMC connector, and will
fit on the engine and tank connections, but in fact the diameters on the connector are not correct
for the OMC engine, and will leak air badly. I'd second the notion to switch to real OMC connectors.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes they are genuine OMC,i thought about might be going to tight

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At least you have narrowed the problem down to your fuel line between tank and engine. I found
that some of the aftermarket fuel connectors look just like an OMC connector, and will
fit on the engine and tank connections, but in fact the diameters on the connector are not correct
for the OMC engine, and will leak air badly. I'd second the notion to switch to real OMC connectors.

Does it matter if the fuel line is 3ft or 6ft? My hose has the OMC connectors and not sure what was on the old hose.

Rick.

Captain

No difference at all. You could go 20 if you needed to. Many of the OMC original tank hoses have the bulb right near the tank. I've often found that awkward so I always move the bulb to within a foot of the engine where it is handier for me. The tank (when I'm alone goes right up to the bow to counter my weight a wee bit. Rick.

aldbra

Cadet

You never stated if you double checked the float height.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I have 1986 Evinrude 9.9 electric start,it runs fine except at wide open throttle then it will run about 50 yards and act like its running out of fuel,the minute you squeeze the the gas line bulb it takes off and runs about 50 yards again.

After all you've done to this engine, and you're still encountering problems....... Does this engine run properly if you constantly keep pumping the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump?

Do not be mislead by air bubbles you might see mixed with the fuel when using transparent fuel lines. As that mixture enters the carburetor, the air escapes as it should via the carburetor vent and what remains in the float chamber is the pure fuel mixture. You're better off using the proper fuel lines.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Yes they are genuine OMC,i thought about might be going to tight

This thread is extremely difficult to follow.
You are telling us that the connectors are "genuine OMC" but in post #15 you explain that there are no quick-disconnect fittings...just a brass fitting at the tank; that is NOT an OMC part....as far as I know.

Sounds like your fuel system is an aftermarket set-up of some kind. No disconnect at the engine? That is odd as well.

The fuel line from your tank is a suction line....and you are unlikely to see fuel leaking if there are are sealing issues....instead it will suck air....essentially the fuel pump loses it's "prime".
What some people have described as "normal" to see air bubbles is not quite accurate...those are gas vapour bubbles....not air. if the bubbles ARE air....it is coming from somewhere....that it shouldn't.

If you are going to get any assistance in here you will need to post an accurate description of your existing layout.
And if possible recap accurately what tests you have done....especially the swapping of various fuel lines.
I can't speak for others, but you have completely lost me.

Now im really lost,i put the new 5/16 fuel line on today and ran the motor,back to bubbles in between the fuel pump and carb. after about 40 yard at top end it want to start surging real bad again, my fuel line was about 3 feet long. i hooked an old hose up from another tank which was about 6 feet long,it ran fine so i hooked my hose to his tank,same thing bubbles and running bad,so i hooked his 6ft hose to my tank and it runs fine. I dont get it,ive put 3 new hoses on it with no luck and when i put his on it it goes fine..

No idea what that was all about or how many tanks we are looking at. Keep in mind, we aren't there and can only interpret events from your description.

Your pressure test rules out the fuel pump, so you really are looking at a problem with the fuel line from the tank and all it's connections....whatever they might be.

martijn

Cadet

try a different fuel tank , sometimes i put my (plastic ) lawnmower tank on an outboard to test and see .
put a small tank above carburettor and connect direct to fuel inlet of the carburettor .(so gas runs into it by gravity)
if it stays running its something with your tank or fuel lines , if it doesn't it is the engine .

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread is extremely difficult to follow.
You are telling us that the connectors are "genuine OMC" but in post #15 you explain that there are no quick-disconnect fittings...just a brass fitting at the tank; that is NOT an OMC part....as far as I know.

Sounds like your fuel system is an aftermarket set-up of some kind. No disconnect at the engine? That is odd as well.

The fuel line from your tank is a suction line....and you are unlikely to see fuel leaking if there are are sealing issues....instead it will suck air....essentially the fuel pump loses it's "prime".
What some people have described as "normal" to see air bubbles is not quite accurate...those are gas vapour bubbles....not air. if the bubbles ARE air....it is coming from somewhere....that it shouldn't.

If you are going to get any assistance in here you will need to post an accurate description of your existing layout.
And if possible recap accurately what tests you have done....especially the swapping of various fuel lines.
I can't speak for others, but you have completely lost me.

No idea what that was all about or how many tanks we are looking at. Keep in mind, we aren't there and can only interpret events from your description.

Your pressure test rules out the fuel pump, so you really are looking at a problem with the fuel line from the tank and all it's connections....whatever they might be.

Ok so heres the deal i started out with fuel hose and connectors from Academy Sports. We changed out the fuel pump at the same time and did a carb soak over night and rebuild,that didnt fix it so i changed out the fuel line connectors and that didnt help either then we changed out the fuel lines in the motor and did away with the fuel connectors at the motor and tank,i put in a brass 90 on the tank and hooked the hose to it then i ran the tank hose threw the motor straight into the fuel pump to see if it stoped showing air bubbles and running right but that didnt help either, so i changed out the fuel line with Baracade fuel hose and put a diffrent prime bulb in,still showing air bubbles in line from fuel pump to carb,these bubble are about 3/8 long and come about every 1 1/4 in the line,when this happens at WOT is when the motor acts like its running out of fuel. I can then squeez the prime bulb and the bubbles with disappear the motor will run great again for about 50-70 yards then here come the bubbles and running bad again. I then put the clear hose from tank straight in to fuel pump to see if air was coming into the fuel pump and at the same time i tested the fuel pump with the gauge hooked in fuel line and it showed 2-3 on gauge at WOT and it ran great,no bubbles at all so i figured it was fuel line,this time i went to the dealer and got the new fuel line and fuel connectors and added the connector back to the motor to take it out and again there were the bubbles and running bad again. I had another fuel line and tank that a friend had put in my truck so we took my tank and hose off the motor and hooked his in and it ran great with no bubbles so then i put my hose back on motor and hooked it to his tank,here comes the bubbles and running bad so then i hooked his hose to my tank and motor and it ran great again. At any time during this whole process when the motor is running bad i can squeeze the bubble and it will take off and run the normal 50 yards. So as of now my tank with his fuel line is on the motor and i will know more when i run it on Friday. Other parts that have been changed out was the power pack and checked ground wire,new spark plugs the fuel tank has a new whole pick up system in it. The compression on both cylenders have been checked and are good.Im sure i have missed something in this new thread and i hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Thank you all for all your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Originally Posted by jbeener1
"I have 1986 Evinrude 9.9 electric start,it runs fine except at wide open throttle then it will run about 50 yards and act like its running out of fuel,the minute you squeeze the the gas line bulb it takes off and runs about 50 yards again."

After all you've done to this engine, and you're still encountering problems....... Does this engine run properly if you constantly keep pumping the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump?

Do not be mislead by air bubbles you might see mixed with the fuel when using transparent fuel lines. As that mixture enters the carburetor, the air escapes as it should via the carburetor vent and what remains in the float chamber is the pure fuel mixture. You're better off using the proper fuel lines.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes if i keep pumping the bulb it will keep running and running, but i only have to pump the bulb about every 50-70 yards.This is always at WOT.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is Saturday and got to run the motor,same thing happening goes about 50-70 yard and squeeze the bubble to go again.