Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

chelseamad7

Cadet
Re: Please help Figure this one out,your a hero

The Rube Goldberg would it be the same fitting on my tank and screw a barbed fiitting onto that and attach fuel hose to that? If so how do i attach it to the motor where my original fitting is bolted on?

Check your pulses on fuel pump,pull plugs and put to ground,take off fuel line going to carb.Put the end of the line into plastic bottle/containor,turn engine over for 15 seconds,while watching the constant fuel pumping.It MUST be constant.
Multiply by 4 this will give you pluses/per min.I have 1973 9.9 electric start and mine gives out 128 per min.
This then will tell you your pump is ok.Hope this helps.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If after 101 posts, that simple 20 minute repair isn't performed and solved... it's time to have a qualified mechanic take care of it. Obviously no one here, including myself, is capable getting the cure across to you.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If after 101 posts, that simple 20 minute repair isn't performed and solved... it's time to have a qualified mechanic take care of it. Obviously no one here, including myself, is capable getting the cure across to you.

Are you saying that no one knows the cure,or that im not excepting the cure? You or anyone else gives me the cure or ask me to try something then i will, i to am at a loose on this..TY Is there a set amount of pulses that the pump is to put out??

theblob

Banned

Why should you check pump again?you sayu put three on it who would do that? Im thinking you didnt do a complete rebuild of carb.what all did you replace in carb?when u squeeze bulb its helping something out in carb.you really didnt buy three new pumps did u?

Scubaslife

Cadet

Have you checked to see if there's a leak in the intake manifold?

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why should you check pump again?you sayu put three on it who would do that? Im thinking you didnt do a complete rebuild of carb.what all did you replace in carb?when u squeeze bulb its helping something out in carb.you really didnt buy three new pumps did u?

No i put 2 fuel pumps on,i took the screen out of first one to check it and when i put the fuel pump cover back over the screen i striped the cap screw but before i did that it still wasnt running right,then i put the second fuel pump on. I ordered the carb kit so whatever comes with the OMC kit is what i changed out.

theblob

Banned

Atleast you can cruize in yours.mine wont even start now.you ever thought about adjusting on carb any?i am really starting to scratch my head on mine.i guess im not made to work on them.ill be getting book soon.it may be better for u to spend 300 and get someone to fix so you wont have the headaces its stressfull when you can understand it.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Atleast you can cruize in yours.mine wont even start now.you ever thought about adjusting on carb any?i am really starting to scratch my head on mine.i guess im not made to work on them.ill be getting book soon.it may be better for u to spend 300 and get someone to fix so you wont have the headaces its stressfull when you can understand it.

LOL yes im still able to go and i am thankful for that,yes i will be adjusting on the carb again. I understand ive been scratching on my head for awhile and yes its stressfull,i wish i knew as much on motors as some of these guys on here,they have been very patient with me and very helpfull. I do need to get a couple of books for my 2 motors. Hope you get yours figured out soon.

chelseamad7

Cadet

Are you saying that no one knows the cure,or that im not excepting the cure? You or anyone else gives me the cure or ask me to try something then i will, i to am at a loose on this..TY Is there a set amount of pulses that the pump is to put out??

I am saying TEST YOUR FUEL PUMP.On mine it was the figure i gave you
Please try and LISTEN AND ACT on information you are given,a prosses of elimination.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am saying TEST YOUR FUEL PUMP.On mine it was the figure i gave you
Please try and LISTEN AND ACT on information you are given,a prosses of elimination.

I will test it today. Thank You.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can someone tell me if the gauge goes between the fuel line and the inlet of the fuel pump or between the outlet of the pump and the carb?? Thanks

nwcove

Admiral

So how do I know the fuel pump is doing what it is suppose to?
As described above, the fuel pump requires an adequate pulse from the cylinder that it is attached to, so first thing is to make sure compression on that cylinder is up to snuff or the fuel pump can't do it's job. If compression checks out, then next thing is to check fuel pump pressure. All non fuel injected outboard motors operate with a fuel pump pressure of about 5 to 7 psi. If consideribly less than 5 to 7 psi exists between fuel pump and carb/s, the motor is likely to be starving for fuel causing idle and/or upper rpm operation to suffer, not to mention a dangerously lean condition.

The above paragraph was copied and pasted from another site.

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will test it today. Thank You.

Ok so i tested the fuel pump,within 15 sec. i had 41 pulses so that comes to 164 total,so what does that tell me??

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So how do I know the fuel pump is doing what it is suppose to?
As described above, the fuel pump requires an adequate pulse from the cylinder that it is attached to, so first thing is to make sure compression on that cylinder is up to snuff or the fuel pump can't do it's job. If compression checks out, then next thing is to check fuel pump pressure. All non fuel injected outboard motors operate with a fuel pump pressure of about 5 to 7 psi. If consideribly less than 5 to 7 psi exists between fuel pump and carb/s, the motor is likely to be starving for fuel causing idle and/or upper rpm operation to suffer, not to mention a dangerously lean condition.

The above paragraph was copied and pasted from another site.
Both cylinders are at 90. When i checked the fuel pump pressure i put the gauge between the fuel line and the fuel pump inlet and it showed 2-1/2 -- 3 at WOT, so i guess i need to check fuel pump on the outler side??

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone had trouble with aftermarket fuel pumps??

nwcove

Admiral

Both cylinders are at 90. When i checked the fuel pump pressure i put the gauge between the fuel line and the fuel pump inlet and it showed 2-1/2 -- 3 at WOT, so i guess i need to check fuel pump on the outler side??

im no expert, but what made you think you could check the fuel pressure on the suction side??

and take aftermarket stuff for what its worth. things like gaskets and screws are usually ok, but as far as the rest of it goes, its inferior to oem. jmo

jbeener1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im no expert, but what made you think you could check the fuel pressure on the suction side??

and take aftermarket stuff for what its worth. things like gaskets and screws are usually ok, but as far as the rest of it goes, its inferior to oem. jmo

I read a thread on it but after going back and re-reading it it was to test to see if there was an air leak between the fuel pump back to the tank,i will put the gauge on the outlet to test again. Thanks

chelseamad7

Cadet

Ok so i tested the fuel pump,within 15 sec. i had 41 pulses so that comes to 164 total,so what does that tell me??

Come on my friend,it tells you that your pump is working as it should. now listen to other advice and act on it.OK.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You do not check pressure on the fuel inlet side of the pump, you check the vacuum with an appropriate gauge to see if there is any restriction in the fuel system from the tank pickup to the pump inlet fitting. The vacuum reading should be less than 4" Hg with a healthy system showing less than 3"Hg. A good tech will also temporarily attach a clear hose to the inlet fitting of the pump to monitor for any incoming air bubbles which will give the exact symptoms that the original poster initially described in this thread. This was mentioned early in the thread and has not been done according to the person with the problem.