NFL - Regular Season Debates/News/Banter

aspeck

Staff member
I just read that the CBA negotiations continue with the latest taking a page out of Old Ironmaker 's playbook ... no preseason games and adding a game to the regular season. HMMMM ... we will see how the Player's association responds to that. Will that automatically up everyone's contract by 1/16th? If my contract is for $16M a year, will I still get $16M for 17 games, or do I get $17M if this new negotiation comes to reality? HMMMM ....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And adding playoff games to make up for lost owner revenue for fewer preseason games.

The NFL is trying to outdo Nascar for the most odorous playoff system.

GA_Boater

Everyone's favorite :)rolleyes:) player, Vontaze Burfict is on suspension for the rest of the season, including post-season.

Why? After yesterday's ejection, coupled with his 3 preceding suspensions (1 for banned substances) and multiple fines for illegal hits, I guess the NFL said enough is enough.

So the Raiders a 0-2 for off-season pickups. AB and now Burfict.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I just read that the CBA negotiations continue with the latest taking a page out of Old Ironmaker 's playbook ... no preseason games and adding a game to the regular season. HMMMM ... we will see how the Player's association responds to that. Will that automatically up everyone's contract by 1/16th? If my contract is for $16M a year, will I still get $16M for 17 games, or do I get $17M if this new negotiation comes to reality? HMMMM ....

From what I understand the players are paid on a game to game basis. Contrct devided by 20 games. Then playoff games are negotiated on a game to game basis as well. Wild Card games X, conference games y and divisional games Z etc. In the event they are in preseason those unsigned players get a game cheque but less than minimum rookie rate. I need to Google the NFL CBA if available to the public, doubt it.

Burfect isn't worthy my energy typing, a waste of good talent.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
NFL players do not get paid until the regular season begins, no pay for preseason games.

Even though salaries today are insane working for free is just as insane. I must have been thinking about the CFL. I'm surprised the player association hasn't dealt with pre season years ago.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Simon Warner
Answered Aug 9, 2014 · Author has 244 answers and 354.2k answer views
Originally Answered: Do NFL players get full game checks, full salaries, for preseason games?
Preseason pay is set out by the collective bargaining ageeement.
Regular season pay, excluding bonuses, is paid per contract at a rate of 1/17 per week.

From Article 23 of the 2011-2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement
Section 2. Room and Board: All players will receive room and board during the pre-season training camp, and housing between training camp and the Tuesday prior to their Club’s first regular season game for those players who have not as yet established resi-dence in the Team city.

Section 3. First-year Player Per Diem: A first-year player will receive “per diem” payments, commencing with the first day of Preseason Training Camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game, at the following weekly rates for the respective League Years: $850 (2011–12 League Years), $925 (2013–14 League Years), $1,000 (2015–16 League Years), $1,075 (2017–18 League Years), $1,150 (2019–20 League Years).

Section 4. Veteran Per Diem: A veteran player will receive “per diem” payments, commencing with the first day of Preseason Training Camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game, at the following weekly rates for the respective League Years: $1,600 (2011–12 League Years), $1,700 (2013–14 League Years), $1,800 (2015–16 League Years), $1,900 (2017–18 League Years), $2,000 (2019–20 League Years).​

GA_Boater

After the loss, reporters asked Gruden about his job security.

"If the key works Monday, I'll keep working," he told them.

It didn't unlock the door this morning.