New Journey

MNhunter1

Ensign
Probably better off in the Merc forum, but anyone have any feedback on a 1984 115hp I6 TOP vs a 1991 90hp 3cyl? Both with PTT and controls.

64osby

Admiral
Some of the older TOP's had an issue with brittle wires. New wiring harness is a big expense or non existent.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice looking Motor Mount!!!

Question, how are you pulling/moving the motor?

I ask, because when I built mine I didn't take into account the front of my engine lift.... The support arm extensions got in the way. So it took some force and help from others to manhandle the last 6 inches....

SHSU

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well, the fish weren't the most cooperative, but the wobbly pops were in abundance. Always takes a bit more time/work than anticipated, but I managed to get the motor home along with the seat cushions, windshield, bow rails, and some other trim pieces. Got the console, livewell, and seat pulled as well, but didn't have room for them in the truck, so they'll need to wait until the next trip. Only regret is not being able to get the controls and steering cable pulled. Looks like I may need to yank the deck to get them out if I don't want to risk damaging them.

IMG_9769.JPGIMG_9775.JPGIMG_9776.JPGIMG_9777.JPGIMG_9778.JPGIMG_9779.JPGIMG_9780.JPG

MNhunter1

Ensign
Haven’t figured out what’s under the box, but assuming it’s housing the runs for the steering and control cables.

What's in the box underneath the console that the fire extinguisher looks like it's mounted on? is that for the batteries?

Surprisingly, the only thing behind that box was a huge chuck of Styrofoam. There was also about a 2" sheet along the entire front of the helm seat where the two 6 gallon tanks were located. This model also has styrofoam run completely under the gunnels, and I'm willing to bet I'll find it behind the aluminum side panels as well. Pulled the two smaller panels under the splashwell and both corners were also filled with styro. The mice had obviously found them at some point over the years, which I've come to expect with these older boats.

Not sure at what point Starcraft decided to up their game on the floatation, but I've found more tucked away in different places on this hull than I had on my other two boats.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice to catch bass during the warm months but through the ice, that's fantastic!

That little Merc sure looks clean as whistle.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Question, how are you pulling/moving the motor?

I ask, because when I built mine I didn't take into account the front of my engine lift.... The support arm extensions got in the way. So it took some force and help from others to manhandle the last 6 inches....

SHSU

Me and a buddy just lifted it off by hand. Not too bad with another set of hands. This model has the transom clamps too, so it makes it easy to get everything all unbolted before lifting it off without risk of the motor falling off/over. The tilt/trim lines were a new undertaking, but I managed to sort it out without destroying anything(I think). When I mount them, I use the lifting eye and a few heavy duty ratchet straps to a 4x4 spanning across two of my garage's storage trusses where the ladder opening is. The ratchets, along with the adjustable trailer jack on the front of the trailer, allows you to manipulate the transom and motor height to get things pretty damn close. A couple extra hands persuaded by a few cold beverages always helps too.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Nice to catch bass during the warm months but through the ice, that's fantastic!

I have them hit the tip ups on occasion, but that was one of the few I've hit on the jigging rod over the years. Ironically, my biggest hard water catch was an incidental 40"+musky on a 4lb test and a wax worm jigging for pannies.

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Surprisingly, the only thing behind that box was a huge chuck of Styrofoam. There was also about a 2" sheet along the entire front of the helm seat where the two 6 gallon tanks were located. This model also has styrofoam run completely under the gunnels, and I'm willing to bet I'll find it behind the aluminum side panels as well. Pulled the two smaller panels under the splashwell and both corners were also filled with styro. The mice had obviously found them at some point over the years, which I've come to expect with these older boats.

Not sure at what point Starcraft decided to up their game on the floatation, but I've found more tucked away in different places on this hull than I had on my other two boats.
I had styrofoam all over the place in mine too except in that box under the console. my floor had been replaced before though and the console removed so it probably came out then. I was hoping that box had a purpose haha

MNhunter1

Ensign
Anyone know the approximate transom depth/height for an 18ft’r? Is it less than 24”? Have a 4x8 sheet on hand and thought I’d rip it in half and glue it up to have it ready to template, but wasn’t sure if I’d need more than 24” in height.

Watermann

Transom height for the motor shaft on an 18'r is 20" and that's from the center top of the transom to the bottom of the V so yeah under 24". The issue you'll have is the transom also extends up to the tops of the gunnels and that's why SC did the 3 part transoms. Although some guys have used the scraps to makes the "wings" and glued them in place using biscuits.

Here's mine out.

y4mNlv9RNRauoKF4aFNR7l-OfbI9ojivn3jBpT6AYwrKDcuSvvgipv5H7mo5e4XxMwCn2Nso66qIIeUwviu0qrRyF7qx6XQGQMFIKe_oeKj3eMfuObMQZiT4KsPBKZ463TU18VPRU9uFZS8aZgZQyZjENJO255lo_08k6K0XC-EEmH5iXEOQFqmGM_Ly28SzW8u

MNhunter1

Ensign
Transom height for the motor shaft on an 18'r is 20" and that's from the center top of the transom to the bottom of the V so yeah under 24". The issue you'll have is the transom also extends up to the tops of the gunnels and that's why SC did the 3 part transoms. Although some guys have used the scraps to makes the "wings" and glued them in place using biscuits.

Here's mine out.

y4mNlv9RNRauoKF4aFNR7l-OfbI9ojivn3jBpT6AYwrKDcuSvvgipv5H7mo5e4XxMwCn2Nso66qIIeUwviu0qrRyF7qx6XQGQMFIKe_oeKj3eMfuObMQZiT4KsPBKZ463TU18VPRU9uFZS8aZgZQyZjENJO255lo_08k6K0XC-EEmH5iXEOQFqmGM_Ly28SzW8u
Yeah, trying to determine the height from the bottom edge of the actual wood transom to the top of the wings to see if I can get it out of one 4x8 sheet or need to use two. Don’t want to half it and glue it to find out I’m too short. Unfortunately, there’s still 4 hours between me and the boat at the moment.

Watermann

Yeah, trying to determine the height from the bottom edge of the actual wood transom to the top of the wings to see if I can get it out of one 4x8 sheet or need to use two. Don’t want to half it and glue it to find out I’m too short. Unfortunately, there’s still 4 hours between me and the boat at the moment.

Yeah you'll need 2 sheets to make it work.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Building a little 8’ workbench for the garage and going to top it with a 8’x30” “transom” 😁 Picked up a couple extra sheets of 3/4” ACX AraucoPly so figured I’d get things glued up for the pending transom replacement if I was making up 1-1/2” sheet goods anyhow. 2AB4801C-A53D-4ACE-BD5A-AF4F129BF69C.jpegF30BCFB6-DC3C-47D7-AF0A-91EBF8BA4E9F.jpegE7638443-0939-43C8-9AC4-ED3138D29884.jpeg

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
i may be late to discussion, MN, but yes i needed 2 sheets for transom on my 18 ft ss, ( seeing as i did not want the factory wings, but one solid piece )

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 4

MNhunter1

Ensign
Had a good trip north with the boys for a little shed hunting and time in the woods. Managed to get the deck pulled and maintained in a solid enough state to use as templates and hauled an enclosed trailer home with pretty much everything aside from the hull. Waiting till she’s home to pull the gunnels and yank the transom as the rub rail channel and such are too long for the trailer. Measured up the transom and I will be able to get it out of a single 4x8 sheet of 3/4”.24226B19-C79E-4B29-8D32-76095ACADFF4.jpeg0ED5CFDE-68D6-4F24-B898-BAC6696488CA.jpeg82F3B063-E2EA-42F6-A9E2-86EA210B19DB.jpeg7FC1CC8D-BE6B-4ADF-BB97-841CCF0C00DB.jpeg

MNhunter1

Ensign
Wet deck and waterlogged foam. I often wonder how many boats are on the water in this condition on a regular basis. I can’t even look at an aluminum boat of this era as water ready anymore without a full rebuild.

matt167

Captain
Wet deck and waterlogged foam. I often wonder how many boats are on the water in this condition on a regular basis. I can’t even look at an aluminum boat of this era as water ready anymore without a full rebuild.
more water ready than a fiberglass of the same era, with less work to get complete