New Journey

MNhunter1

Ensign
Was going to wait until I actually had this one in hand, but I figured the journey is a big part of what we look forward to sharing here. Made an agreement with my wife that if I sold the 16SS after having taken up space in our garage and two different homes for a number of years, I could find the hull I wanted and build another one as a keeper. I hope the saying holds true that the third times a charm...

After prematurely looking for good bones for a new rebuild (I think my wife was thinking "next year"...lol), I have a verbal agreement in place on a '84 MR180 about 3 hours from here. Watched it for about a month and had several conversations with the seller. Plan to hit the road pre-dawn on Saturday morning to arrive around sunrise, look her over, and tow her home.

Keep your fingers crossed for a safe journey with no surprises/disappointments...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9129.JPG Views:	1 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	10929063Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9133.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	10929064Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9132.JPG Views:	1 Size:	175.0 KB ID:	10929066Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9131.JPG Views:	1 Size:	186.6 KB ID:	10929067

Attachments

• IMG_9133.jpg
    IMG_9133.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 8

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
MN - Hope the Mariner ends up your tow ball. Got the right color hanging on the back, too. :D

Too bad the SS had to go before you get the new one ready. Oh the price we pay to keep the Admiral happy!

Travel safe and take a big thermos full of coffee. :smile:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Sweet Rig right there!

3hrs is a long drive to make without something in the mirror on the way back if the deal goes south! :lol:

Here's to a smooth transaction! :tea:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good luck on the pending pickup..

Made a few of those drives myself.....
A few even longer, much, much longer :facepalm:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good luck on your road trip and Mariner acquisition. :)

One thing I've learned in my out of State boat fetching road trips is take tools, bearing grease, trailer jack and IR gun to check wheel hub temps. If there's any grease on the wheels, especially the inside pull it, inspect and if all's well repack before hitting the highway.

Alumarine

Captain
I also bring along a Magnetic Tow Light Kit as often the lights don't work.
I have an extension for it and I usually try and ty-wrap them to the trailer so they don't fall off.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
MN - congrat's, do I see a new 'eye rig coming?

So I'm not alone. :) I just "discussed" this very thing with the wife yesterday.
For some reason she doesn't want 3 boats in the back yard again.

"Made an agreement with my wife that if I sold the 16SS .....I could find the hull I wanted and build another one"

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well? How is she?

My '81 showed up like this.

1234 - 1 (1).jpg

1234 - 1 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 1234 - 1 (2).jpg
    1234 - 1 (2).jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1234 - 1 (2).jpg
    1234 - 1 (2).jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 12

MNhunter1

Ensign
Unfortunately, I severely underestimated the admiral's objection to me throwing another project in the mix. Had a good discussion with both the admiral and the seller and this journey is on hold until the timing is more appropriate.

Mods - you can close or delete this thread. Thanks!

Watermann

That's a serious bummer, guess if there's that much opposition then you have to pick your battles.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Unfortunately, I severely underestimated the admiral's objection to me throwing another project in the mix. Had a good discussion with both the admiral and the seller and this journey is on hold until the timing is more appropriate.

Mods - you can close or delete this thread. Thanks!

bummer MN!

Does this mean you can hang-on to the SS :noidea: :D

MNhunter1

Ensign
Stripped off some of the “littles”, windshield, etc. and parked it in my buddies barn for the winter. Rebuild will be on hold until I wrap up some other projects around the house, but good to know it’s going to be waiting for me. Plan to keep this one, we’ll see if the 3rd times a charm!

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Was reading the original part and thought bummer, no boat. Then scroll down and im late to the party lol. Glad I saw just as you got her!! Congrats! Will look forward to the rebuild, especially since she looks to be in excellent condition.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you and the Admiral didn't speak for 4 months or what? 😊

Good lookin' trailer and a V5 with the chine crack preventer braces. Gonna be a good project.

Watermann

So you and the Admiral didn't speak for 4 months or what? 😊

Good lookin' trailer and a V5 with the chine crack preventer braces. Gonna be a good project.
It is a great project although a mid late 80's dbl hockey stick V model but without the 5, no sharp bow rise with extended strakes

MNhunter1

Ensign
It is a great project although a mid late 80's dbl hockey stick V model but without the 5, no sharp bow rise with extended strakes
Yep, no V5, but should make for a good MN fishing boat. Large enough for any of our bigger lakes, but still small enough to get on smaller water, fit in the garage, and be easily launched, trailered, etc.