Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

lowkee you should know.........I have a gun.:D

drewpster

Commander

Bob your right. Going ahead with the fairing is the plan. The question is what to use to smooth it up. I considered the possibility of using gelcoat and some sort of screed. (like concrete only thinner) I have applied gelcoat using spreaders. Despite the nay-sayers it does work. But gelcoat is meant to be applied in a mold, not as a coating necessarily.
The epoxy compound is a bit more durable...but then there is more and more sanding. I guess I just need to cowboy through it. I sure would like to see a smooth deck.
I used this boat for several years prior to the restoration. It had nothing on the decks but gelcoat. It sure was nice to be able to simply spray it down after mudding and blooding it up over a camp weekend. I'm thinking that's the only way to go. Faired and Non-skid.......here I go again.
Trust me, its a nightmare for me too ezombee!

drewpster

Commander

Redfury you are right too....but I used to clean it all the time anyway. And it looked like a 30 year old boat then!:eek: I complain but the truth is I am enjoying it. I would rather be painting, but this will do for now. Keeps me out of trouble.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

thats gonna be the slickest tri hull ever when your done

over the top...

Nice job!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
If you keep going your boat will look better on the inside, then most of ours does on the outside. :eek: :D
I know what you mean too, about enjoying it. Most people will never understand.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

drewpster

Commander

Shame how fast it comes and goes. And it gets faster every year. Back at you Bob!
I hope to be back in the boat business Sunday. I still have allot of sanding to do!

drewpster

Commander

I just wanted to drop a note and say I have not given up! I am still sanding. The initial coats of fairing compound are completed. I have finished the blocking on the seat boxes and the inner hull sides.
I literally wore out the Velcro on the sanding disc of my Dewalt orbital. I need to order a new disc. I have been using a pneumatic DA sander to complete the work so far.
The next step is to start covering the deck. It should be easier because it is all flat. But as always, we shall see. I am to the bottom of the gallon of US Composites epoxy I have been using to make the fairing compound. I need to order another gallon. It is probably more than I need.
I hope to put the cap back on ASAP. God knows I am ready for it.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad to be a fellow trihull guy like you drewp! Man fairing is a PITA for sure but it looks great. I think we decided with kiwigrip.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

forgive me drewp if you mentioned this but what size CSM did you use? Getting ready to order roving and CSM from US composites and dont know what the best size is to get...

redfury

Commander

Honestly, I hope I can be that anal when it comes right down to it. It's funny, I get so anal when I work on something for someone else, but when I work on my own stuff, my quality/caring starts to suffer....it's hard to keep my motivation up. I think it's because I'm not worried about my own opinion of my work , but I am of others.

drewpster

Commander

forgive me drewp if you mentioned this but what size CSM did you use? Getting ready to order roving and CSM from US composites and dont know what the best size is to get...

1.5 oz. CSM
18 oz. Woven Roving

50" width on both

1.5 oz. CSM tape 12" width full roll (time saver, no cutting strips)

I think I started with 10 yards each.

5 gallons Polyester resin

Get a grooved roller too! (1" or less diameter)

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

1.5 oz. CSM
18 oz. Woven Roving

50" width on both

1.5 oz. CSM tape 12" width full roll (time saver, no cutting strips)

I think I started with 10 yards each.

5 gallons Polyester resin

Get a grooved roller too! (1" or less diameter)

Thank You!!!:D

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Drewpster - Nice Work! It's good to see folks to get passionate about the old cast off trihulls. Nice looking Chrysler too. Chrysler/Forces have never gotten a very good rap over the years, but I've always been somewhat intrigued by them, especially the big ones. I've seen some of the big Chryslers over the years that get up and go pretty good. I imagine you'll be able to give some folks a run for thier money once you get your rig back together. Keep up the good work.

drewpster

Commander

Another milestone got passed today! I finally got some primer on all that fairing work. And yet, more sanding will no doubt follow.
I finished up some final sanding that needed to be done and wiped down everything to prep for the primer coat. I used acetone at first and finished the clean-up with MEKP. Thankfully, nothing blew up. It was 20 degrees outside and I did some venting with a window fan.

I laid down a perimeter of plain old painter's tape to keep from making a mess to get a line around the primered area.
DSC05691.jpg

I used a razor to get a clean line around the hull stiffeners.
DSC05687.jpg

Here is what I used to apply the primer. A plain old foam roller and a china bristle brush to get the corners and tip the primer off.
DSC05694.jpg

After taping the perimeter and doing some additional cleaning up I mixed up the components of the primer. Be sure if you use this stuff that you buy some 2333n thinner to cut the primer. The primer must be thinned before use.

DSC05693.jpg

This primer starts out in two parts. The base is very thick and comes out of the can like mashmallow cream. (i love that stuff) The hardener (reactor) is like honey. After the 2333n is added the mix comes up like thick paint.

The best way to treat this stuff is like a coating rather than a paint. BY that I mean if you leave a thin spot it will give you a headache when you sand it this stuff. I used the brush to work outward from the corners. And a foam roller to blend in the middle sections.

DSC05695.jpg

Blending is the trick. Work with fresh batches and don?t wait too long to get the primer applied. If you wait the full induction time on the can, it is likely the primer will get thick at the end of a pan. So start a little early getting the primer rolled on.

Here is where I ended up at bed time. All of the faired areas are covered with primer. I think I did a good job getting it all as level as possible. We shall see how the sanding goes. At very least a second coat will be needed. And I plan to get some "glazing compound" for some obvious pinholes and low spots I saw.

DSC05698.jpg

I am glad I did all this, but man is this allot of sanding! I look forward to the finish coat. If you ever paid allot of money to a guy to do this kind of work on one of your boats, believe me, there is a reason. Sand..sand ..sand.

tallcanadian

Captain

Looks awesome. Great job so far. But I got to tell ya, you have to be the most patient person in the world. Very meticulous work. I can't wait to see it finished.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Looks awesome drewpster! I bet your head internally exploded looking at that finished primer. I know mine did the first time I applied it. What a different from the cap next to it. The white makes it glow. Imagine looking at that on a bright sunny day <MY EYES!!> :p

Please let us know how sanding goes and anything you would do differently next time. I seem to always mess up primer coats and sand for two days as a result.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
Very nice work. I can't wait to hear how the sanding goes and then on to the finish.
Looking forward to more updates.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.