My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Hey drewpster/ MTribe08
Very good information on here. I'll have to remember it when I start doing mine.
Thanks guys.
Bob

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Drew, managed to get a coat of gelcoat on the deck today. It looks pretty good but I want to put another coat down. Unfortunately the coat I put down today had wax in it. What do I need to do tomorrow to prepare it for another coat? Can I sand it with 220 and then wipe it down with styrene? thanks for the help.

drewpster

Commander

Hey Drew, managed to get a coat of gelcoat on the deck today. It looks pretty good but I want to put another coat down. Unfortunately the coat I put down today had wax in it. What do I need to do tomorrow to prepare it for another coat? Can I sand it with 220 and then wipe it down with styrene? thanks for the help.

Wipe it down before sanding, sand it, then wipe it down again. Then recoat it.

drewpster

Commander

I had a slight challenge with the transom after setting the cap. My transom is very thick. Too thick really. If I had it to do over, I would have built it a bit thinner. Because of the thickness the splashwell is too wide. I had to cut a section out of it and fit it down over the top of the transom.

DSC05983-1.jpg

After getting the fit right I used the grinder to taper about half of the slpashwell down toward the transom. I did this to allow for the thickness of the replacement fiberglass. It will also make it easier to lay the new glass and maintain the shape of the splashwell and bring it back to a finished surface.

DSC05984-1.jpg

I used two layers of CSM and a layer of roving to get it to this point. I will fit and epoxy the original transom cap back in place. Then add another layer until I am satisfied its over done. Then its filling, and sanding until I get a paint ready surface. More sanding woopie.:(

drewpster

Commander

After getting the initial layers of glass in place at the transom I decided it was time to do a major clean up in the shop. There is sanding dust everywhere and there is no way I am going to attempt painting this thing with that much dust everywhere. In order to completely clean up it is going to be necessary to move the boat. I am pretty particular about keeping things clean and I wont be satisfied until I can completely unload the shop to get it clean. The best advice I can offer to anyone doing this kind of work is to buy a roll of heavy plastic. It is still going to be a big mess, but at least you can localize it by draping the area you are working in. Do it, its worth it.

In order to move the boat I built a couple of rolling dollies to put it on. I bought a couple of cheap furniture dollies at Harbor Freight. I used the plywood panels I had shaped to build the "vees" on top of them.
Getting the boat off the platform was not as big a hassle as I thought it would be. I use a lifting strap between the two boat jacks I have to lift the stern.

DSC05988.jpg

I then placed my floor jack under the keel to lift the bow.

DSC05987.jpg

Then it was a simple matter of sliding the platform out. It looks scary, but it was completely stable.

DSC05986.jpg

After getting the platform out, and building the dollies I lowered the boat down on them.

DSC05991.jpg

It rolls very easy and I will be able to get it outside so I can clean everything up.

DSC05992.jpg

If you think it looked crazy dangling in the air, wait until I flip it again to get the bottom painted. That will be almost as frightening as this:

DSC05989.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
That is some rig you got on the stern of the boat.
Do you think it can handle the weight of your boat????:p
The work on the splash well looks good.
Nice cradle too.
Bob

drewpster

Commander

I built those boat jacks back when I was working on my other project boat. Although I would never put the weight on them, they are good for about 20K lbs. Enough I think. We have used them to unload and block a house boat. That was fun.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Way to go Drewpster! You do professional work! I like the look of your gelcoat.

Tight lines

Signal 20

Seaman

I saw you refer to PL Poly adhesive several times in your thread when talking about bedding stringers and glueing wood before glass. What kind of PL Poly adhesive did you use? I checked lowes today and I saw tube and tile, masonry, window and siding and construction adhesive. I will be bedding my stringers soon and figured it would be the PL Poly Construction adhesive, but I thought it i would ask before i baught a bunch of it lol, what did you use?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

I saw you refer to PL Poly adhesive several times in your thread when talking about bedding stringers and glueing wood before glass. What kind of PL Poly adhesive did you use? I checked lowes today and I saw tube and tile, masonry, window and siding and construction adhesive. I will be bedding my stringers soon and figured it would be the PL Poly Construction adhesive, but I thought it i would ask before i baught a bunch of it lol, what did you use?

It is this stuff shown right here, PL Premium Construction Adhesive.
http://batboat.blogspot.com/2009/10/batboat-rebuild-day-40-august-5th-2009.html

Get the 28 oz tubes or else you are wasting money. Lowes sells them in a case over here. That is your best value. I used seven 28 oz cartridges in rebuilding my boat's structurals. May need several more this summer for the rest.

Signal 20

Seaman

It is this stuff shown right here, PL Premium Construction Adhesive.
http://batboat.blogspot.com/2009/10/batboat-rebuild-day-40-august-5th-2009.html

Get the 28 oz tubes or else you are wasting money. Lowes sells them in a case over here. That is your best value. I used seven 28 oz cartridges in rebuilding my boat's structurals. May need several more this summer for the rest.

Thanks for the info, that is the same stuff i picked up and almost baught today. I'll go pick some up tonight. My next newbee mistery question is do they make a pump for my 5 gallon pail of resin I recieved from UPS today. I'm guessing pouring out of a 5 gallon pail is pretty difficult ;)

and sorry for the hijack to the original poster.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

I never got a pump with mine. Do a search at my blog to see what I did with my pail.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Signal 20
Put the 5 on a table, lay over on it's side with spout at 12 O'Clock, remove cap, put container under spout rotate, when container is full rotate spout back to 12 o'clock, put cap back on and store in normal position. Simple.

Hey drewpster,
I can see where those things would handle every bit of 20k pounds.
When are you flipping the boat?
Take care
Bob

drewpster

Commander

Well I have not had much time to get in the shop lately. But I have found time to waste. So I downloaded a trial version of photoshop and edited a picture. Took forever! But here is a somewhat close idea of where I want to go with the colors of the tri-hull.

thunderfinishes.jpg

The blue should be a little darker and the top should be cream. Oh, and the trailer should be gray. Not the funky blue here. But it is a good attempt.

drewpster

Commander

I made some more progress today. I rolled the boat out in to the driveway to do some sanding on the cap. What I found was surprising. This cap had been painted! The more I sanded the more i realized I was cutting paint. I was a little depressed knowing that I am going to have to sand all that old paint off.:mad: Did I mention I hate to sand. Geez. Luckily it is coming of pretty easy. I am to the point where I need to start sanding inside the gunnels. The rest is done and ready for prep. It took about four hours to get that far. I am going to remove the last of the trim inside the gunnels and some snaps from an old cover on the back. The next step is to do some hole filling and get some fairing done. Man! I ready to do some rigging! It will come, it will get here but it is not soon enough.
I noticed my trolling motor that I got two years ago! Still new and unused.:redface: It will come.
My Dad wants us to rent a house with a dock on lake Guntersville for a couple of days next September, I hope I have it done by then.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Just thought I'd say...keep at it, it will come :p:D
I hear ya loud and clear on the time line...all together now...one step forward and two steps back, looking at my watch the damn things gone whack.....

she's gonna be a looker for sure, nice work!!!

redfury

Commander

Heh, I'm going to get the last stringer and the floor in this summer for sure, and think that that will be the big step forward, until I realize the work in prepping the hull for paint, etc. :eek::D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
Nice choices for the color. Should look really good.
looking forward to more updates.
Bob

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey drewp, looking good i am still grinding, actually been putting it off i hate it,but time to get the ball rolling wanna take her out. Anyways was wondering the size of your fiberglass roller the one with the aluminum head? im about to buy my supplies just trying to get ideas. Thanks for this thread its a motivator.

Status
Not open for further replies.