My Jupiter rebuild

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Jupiter rebuild

Guys, thanks for all the kind words. The last couple days have been spent reassembling. New spring are on, axle is hung with new U-bolts. The old brackets and such that will be reused have been cleaned and painted with Rusto cold galvanizing paint and a new keel roller and pair of bunk brackets showed up from Iboats today so that hardware, bunks and fenders should be on by Sat pm. I really want to get back to work on the boat. Hope you all have a productive weekend. 100_1148.jpg100_1147.jpg100_1146.jpg100_1151.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Hey AJ, trailer is looking real good. One question though, second picture in the above post shows the spring installed solid on both ends, is that how it was? The only way the springs can work is if the rear hanger can move forward and back, the spring need to be able to lengthen in order to absorb bumps. There should be a set of shackles on the rear leaf hanger, or the rear leaf should be a slipper spring that is flat and rides on a nylon block. The first picture is the slipper type, second is shackle type.

Attachments

• slipper_spring_photo.jpg
    slipper_spring_photo.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Shackle.png
    Shackle.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 2

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100_1154.jpg100_1153.jpgdoz thanks for the concern there. I took that pic standing by the left rear corner of the trailer looking forward so that is the forward eye. the rear is a the open eye. But ya did make me go out and double check, jeez before my coffee now I'am awake. I quess its time to get back to work on it.

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander

Trailer looks great AJ... The red really "POPS"!! :) No doubt you are looking forward to getting back on the boat again!!!

J.

dozerII

Admiral

View attachment 188050View attachment 188049doz thanks for the concern there. I took that pic standing by the left rear corner of the trailer looking forward so that is the forward eye. the rear is a the open eye. But ya did make me go out and double check, jeez before my coffee now I'am awake. I quess its time to get back to work on it.

Awsome AJ, the way it looked there was two eyes.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not quite as much done over the weekend as I wanted but progress none the less. My brother is in town and came over and we built the bunks on the trailer. I went to HD for indoor outdoor carpet and it was on close out so I ended up buying enough to do the floor in the Jup. I quess that made up my mind on the flooring material. Well my fishin partner as been on my case to do some fishin so I agreed to go Sunday. After working on the Starcraft Sat. I pull out the battery charger to do the batteries on the bass boat. So while checking taillights on that trailer and one is out I,am crawling around and whoa I find a broken crossmember on that trailer. Aaargh more trailer work. That nixes the fishin trip and we spend Sunday morning at the welders getting that fixed. Anyway Sunday afternoon got the trailer wired and lights on, hope to flip the boat this week and get her back on the trailer. A couple pics of the bunks and fenders on the trailer. Hope everyone had a good weekend I havn't had a chance to read up on any your adventures.
100_1156.jpg100_1157.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks great AJ, glad you found the break when you did and not on the road!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Trailer looks sharp. I think it will be real easy to load also with that configuration.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I was able to take advantage of my brother being in town and put him to work while he is on vacation. He dosn't mind though it gives him a chance to tell little brother how to do things. Makes for interesting conversation sometimes ya know we are both in our 60's. So the jup is back on the trailer. Sits just a bit higher but is not riding on broken down keel rollers now. I will be getting new tires when closer to spash time. I am going to use the wheels that were on the traile as I really like the little baby moon hub caps. They were really rusty but in a bored moment over the weekend i thought I would see if they would clean up. A little elbow grease and some oxidation remover and they looked almost new, I will clean up the wheels and paint them red. The plan right now is to get the transom made, find the right foam andget the floor in. Oh yea and find the the time to spend with big brother. This post kinda rambled on a bit, sorry. But it has pics.;)
100_1182.jpg100_1184.jpg100_1186.jpg100_1172.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

lookin' good; those hubcaps rock! Poochie looks like he's up there supervising...keeping you guys on schedule!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bet with you and your little brother working together there was a lot of "remember whens". Looking good, AJ. I like the dog dish hub caps with the hub hole - And yours are great.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I finally got back to doing some work on the boat. I need to get a order in for some stainless bolts and such so I spent most of the afternoon going over the boat and figuring what I would need. Put the order in tonight so I hope its here by next weekend. Got large head rivets coming for the floor also. Got most of the topside hardware of to start prepping for paint. Then I went to work on the transom skin and took out about 10 old screws and bolts that had held transducers and speedo tubes I suppose. I plan to attach aluminum plate with JB weld to the inside then sand smooth on the outside all the unnesasary holes. Hope to get the transom built and installed and flotation and floor in the next two weeks. Plus the other jobs like get the top sides ready for paint, slashwell installed etc, etc, etc. A few holy pics to view. Hope everybody has a great week.
100_1212.jpg100_1215.jpg100_1210.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Sanding down the JB Weld is really fun, I found it took forever, that stuff cures REALLY hard. If I recall, I had about 15 holes to patch that way. I'm really enjoying your thread, keep the pictures coming.

barato2

Commander

yeah, as with epoxy, it's a lot easier if you take a razor blade and carefully "trim" as much excess as possible before it sets up fully hard, so you minimize the amount you have to sand.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LL thats about what I am dealing with, 17 at last count actually. Barato I just finished with some of the patches and plan to trim after it sets a little bit so thanks. I picked up some aluminum sheets at the Hdwe store. 4x10x .064 and started making some patches to see how that goes. Started with the holes on the lower port side transom and mixed up the JB weld. It went pretty well, just was messier than I would have liked. Here are some before and after pics and a question. I have 4- 5/16'' holes in the top of the transom skin. I believe they were there to hold that piece of plywood on the outside of the transom since that piece was almost full width on my boat. So the Question is, do I need those on the top or maybe just one on each side between the centerline and the outer edge. I wasn't planning to attach a piece of ply back there may just a piece of diamond plate.
100_1216.jpg100_1225.jpg
These are the holes in question a couple on each side.100_1231.jpg
Thanks for all the help.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

If I understand what you're saying, I don't think you'll need any of them. If you use diamond plate, aluminum or something else, you'll probably need to make new holes, placement determined by the size & shape of your metal.

Your JB Weld looks about like mine does on the back. It can be pretty drippy, especially on the vertical patches.

Good tip on the trimming, barato, wish I'd thought of that when I was doing it!!

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake that is kinda what i was thinking, so I think I will go ahead and patch em. Its kinda fun like metal shop 101, next I will be bending stuff like barato does over wheelbarrow tires. I am going to do a few more in the morning and try letting the JB set a little before putting the patch on. All this time looking at the transom is giving me some ideas for paint back there so some of the inspiration is coming back after what I call the "Trailer Ordeal". BTW I like the pic of your boat in your signature, I think everyone needs to get back out on the water.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

try letting the JB set a little before putting the patch on........BTW I like the pic of your boat in your signature, I think everyone needs to get back out on the water.

I eventually caught on to letting it set a bit before adding the patch, it does make things a little neater. Thanks & Yep, can't wait to get back on the water and forget my troubles for a while!

barato2

Commander

for the larger patches, it's also a good idea to wedge something from below to hold it tight against the underside of gunwale as the JB dries.....JB alone will hold the small ones but for anything bigger than maybe 1.5" square, i'd wedge it to keep it from sagging. another lesson i learned the hard way.

fireguy co

Cadet

Hey, are you getting anything done? I don't see much progress since I left. lol Don't be slacking on this, we will need it running in 5 weeks. Just messin with ya here. Wish I could have helped you get more accomplished when I was there. It was a good time workin on the project with ya. Anyway how is everything going ?