My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Stumbled down here to the basemen to see what was going on.... This boat (and motor) have thrown you some wicked stuff. You should name her "knuckle ball." Great work as usual. Look forward to the next steps

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Good lord that is some beautiful tin! Something I haven't seen :Cry:

Oh yeah another important MT sanding tip; move around frequently to multiple spots when sanding and allow the patch of MT to cool off. If you sand on one for too long the stuff gets hot and starts plugging the sanding wheel with clods ruining it.

Also my gunnels were on top of a plastic top table and not grounded, after sanding it gave me some ferocious jolts of static electricity when I would stop to fondle the tin. :heh:

I can read the Star headlines now, "Man Electrocuted...Dies Happy while Heavy Petting His Boat".

Thx for the tip man! I "hope" to get-in some sanding tonight...assuming work doesn't get in the way again!

I don't think I could deal with all the corrosion you have. It sure seems to be a real problem with the boats as you go further east and probably the same going west. The closer to salt water the worse the problem. There was a very small amount on the inside of the transom skin on all the tinnies I've worked on but nothing even close to what you are working with.

Bah, i'm prayin' for the day you pull home a boat like mine or agua's! You'll have fixed the cracks & repaired the corrosion in like 3-days...perfectly...using some wipe-on / wipe-off product only available in Canada. :lol: :facepalm:

Stumbled down here to the basemen to see what was going on.... This boat (and motor) have thrown you some wicked stuff. You should name her "knuckle ball." Great work as usual. Look forward to the next steps

Thanks for stoppin' by the "basement" Patrick! I'm not sure what was worse, drippy outboard or rotten tin. There was alot of anxiety while working on the o/b due to the fact that I wasn't making any progress on the decrepit hull.

Dig the name suggestion! "Mulligan" (which this boat's PO's had an unlimited supply of), "Rescue Me"... a bunch more come to mind however this is a rated-PG forum :lol:

P.S. you're due for another project :cool:

classiccat

got down to the hanger for a few hours this morning and fabbed-up 1-of-2 of the exterior knee-brace patches (hopin' that this helps our tin-brutha Ed out as well).

when making an exterior patch, I'm of the belief that you want to keep'em as small as possible. they need to be back-buttered and you want to minimize the amount of surface area that can trap-water & corrode.

i cut the patch to size, then smacked it a few times with a dead-blow hammer from the inside to get it to shape....you don't want to smack-it so hard that it distorts the hull skin.

mark the 1st hole and whip-out a trusty cleco:

One way to make sure the patch is centered on the existing rivet holes, I made markings at 1/8" increments on each of the forward-most rivets to center the patch...using a jack to keep the patch snug to the hull skin:

Transfer all of the holes...and I added a few of my own to keep this patch snugged-up to the hull-skin.

inside-shot:

Have a great weekend guys & thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great attention to detail man, looking really good!:thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, you sure have the tinsmithing down to a science. I think by the time your are done you should be able to tackle building one from scratch.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

There ya go, looks perfect BF and that should not only be strong but keep your bilge nice and dry. :encouragement:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good work, nice & tidy. Clecos: a tin boatman's new best friend.................

classiccat

Great attention to detail man, looking really good!:thumb:

Thanks Jas! not being in any kind of hurry certainly helps :D

Wow, you sure have the tinsmithing down to a science. I think by the time your are done you should be able to tackle building one from scratch.

Thanks Willy! I have to say, after a 2 weeks of cleaning / spackling, I'm happy to be workin' the tin again! :thumb:

There ya go, looks perfect BF and that should not only be strong but keep your bilge nice and dry. :encouragement:

Thanks agua! Fortified with MT, 5200 and tin patches, the bilge-tin is safe!

Good work, nice & tidy. Clecos: a tin boatman's new best friend.................

You know it jb! They turn a dreadful job into something enjoyable! huge props to Astor for bringing them to our attention. :peace:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is that a Tin Porcupine, BF? :happy: Nice work again!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Oh yeah the cleco is now a necessity to the tin rebuild. Used them all day today on the spray rail braces and have a bunch for them to do in the future. Best 23 bucks I ever spent.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

patch looks great BF, what thickness material are you using for the patches? You have gotta be close to finishing up all the repairs and starting the reassembly/rebuild process.

classiccat

Is that a Tin Porcupine, BF? :happy: Nice work again!

Thanks GaB! Yeah...this one is almost out of quills!

Oh yeah the cleco is now a necessity to the tin rebuild. Used them all day today on the spray rail braces and have a bunch for them to do in the future. Best 23 bucks I ever spent.

I wish I had them for my spray rail braces...lets just say I developed an appreciation for them through that exercise :facepalm:

patch looks great BF, what thickness material are you using for the patches? You have gotta be close to finishing up all the repairs and starting the reassembly/rebuild process.

Thanks Astor! Most of the patches are 0.090". This one is thinner (0.063") since I need it to conform to a complex curve and it's acting like a skin-graph...a tin-graph if you will :nerd: :lol:

classiccat

Got tired of waiting around for Sig to post pics of his flip-tin so I hit the hanger for some QT with the tub.

Project of the day was fabbin'-up the Speedo/'ducer bracket...neat way to fix old holes and discourage future drill-monkeys from making swiss cheese out of the transom skin.

What I expected to take 1 1/2hrs took much, much longer..

First, I learned that 0.090" 6061 cracks (too tight of a radius): :facepalm:

Strike-1!

Then, I forgot what side of the boat I was working on: :facepalm:

Strike-2!

Yahtzee!

The only thing keeping me from putting this transom back together is the exterior patch for the knee-brace.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if annealing would soften the 6061 for a crack free bend? Here's a YouTube vid, the comments also have some added info. Annealing Aluminium - YouTube

classiccat

I wonder if annealing would soften the 6061 for a crack free bend? Here's a YouTube vid, the comments also have some added info. Annealing Aluminium - YouTube

I think that would've been the "lovely" for the 6061...like "buttah" :D

The tabs that connect the vertical risers to the ribs will be 6061, so this trick will definitely come-in handy!!

Cheers m8, Tally-Ho :yo:

astor

you won't get 6061 to anneal like butter as in that vid. It will anneal to be a little softer., but you are probably starting with 6061-T6, as it seems to be the most common. What is even easier and quicker to do is not bend it to such a tight radius.

You are using the HF 30" bender so this one is easy. take a piece of 16 ga steel if you have it and bend that . then use that in your brake and bend the aluminum about the bent steel. This will give you a larger bend radius and in most cases eliminate the cracking. If you don't have steel use another bent piece of aluminum to bend about.

classiccat

you won't get 6061 to anneal like butter as in that vid. It will anneal to be a little softer., but you are probably starting with 6061-T6, as it seems to be the most common. What is even easier and quicker to do is not bend it to such a tight radius.

You are using the HF 30" bender so this one is easy. take a piece of 16 ga steel if you have it and bend that . then use that in your brake and bend the aluminum about the bent steel. This will give you a larger bend radius and in most cases eliminate the cracking. If you don't have steel use another bent piece of aluminum to bend about.

Great tip Astor! maybe I should start pm-ing you BEFORE I screw something up :lol:

astor

Screw ups? WE don't screw up! We just learn by doing, and re-doing, and re-doing until we either get it right or say its good enough.:facepalm:

SigSaurP229

Commander

HEY I got the pics up.

You are doing really great thorough work as usual.

Thanks to all my friends in the Starmada especially you, I was really smart with my money this time.

Pour in Foam NO
Pressure treated lumber NO.
Cracks holes, and pitting NO.

Hopefully thanks to you the hardest job I am going to have is removing the old hull numbers and stickers.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job on the repair for the holes from the P/O's, it's unreal how may transducers and pito tubes can go on one boat.