My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Jas is for sure the man to talk to about battery placement, consider yourself lucky he didn't charge you a consulting fee.

This invoice showed-up in my order history...with the same time stamp as ^^^. Coincidence??? :hat:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Tough crowd today. :laugh:

Hey, BF, don't get short changed:
That consultation fee should have included a hi-def graphic rendering of said battery placement and associated structural layout as well. I also think an appropriate wiring diagram is supposed to be provided.

For what it's worth, I agree w/ swapping the anchor & battery locations, for the reasons stated. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This invoice showed-up in my order history...with the same time stamp as ^^^. Coincidence??? :hat:

Nothin' is free anymore, BF. Bear in mind you did consult the world renowned Battery Doctor. Of course you got charged. Dead batteries do no good. Did :hungry: get his :pizza: yet?

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice Layout. I look forward to fabrication of the bow layout.

barato2

Commander

i can hardly wait to see how all this will be in the aluminum...i like the design.

classiccat

Nice Layout. I look forward to fabrication of the bow layout.

i can hardly wait to see how all this will be in the aluminum...i like the design.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to see it either :lol:

I'm still undecided on:

1. a single sheet of aluminum (with stiffeners riveted-on)
  2. modular with angles formed in the brake
  3. framed-out with homemade channel & rivet the skin to it.

I'm leaning heavily towards #3. :D

I just finished my last presentation to the "brass" ...therefore starting to get tin on-the-brain :madgrin:

happy friday! :yo:

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

i assume you'll be covering it with something, carpet or vinyl or ?? seems like without that, it will be noisy, esp if you go #3.

have a great weekend, and rock out on that boat.....

classiccat

i assume you'll be covering it with something, carpet or vinyl or ?? seems like without that, it will be noisy, esp if you go #3.

have a great weekend, and rock out on that boat.....

Hmm...haven't considered the noise-factor Bruce! I had a college math professor that would compliment students by telling them that their head was "too small for brain". Good thinkin' man! The plan in my little brain was paint, but now I'm thinking vinyl.

There's still time to mull-things-over; fabrication is still a few weeks away:
  • Remaining riveting-action: bow ribs, rear-seam, transom Z-bracket, knee brace, SB-rib ends and random suspect rivets
  • then leak-test (moment of truth!)
  • gluv-it
  • SE Primer / paint on the inside <== still on the fence with that one

With the hanger going above 50 again, finished the MT spacklin'.

Besides the bow, the 2 worst areas for electrolysis / corrosion were obscured by the knee-brace...I believe instigated by the trauma of being dropped on the ramp, bad grounding & a bilge that was never dry (many leaks, corroded-in-place drain plug & an in-op bilge pump :facepalm:).

The transom skin had 1 pinhole completely through (shown a few days ago)...and I discovered 2 more pinholes in the bottom-skin when I went excavating through the alumina using a dremel last night. A few more exterior patches and she'll be good-to-go.

I can't emphasize how important it is to dig all of that white-corrosion out of holes. The dremel works fantastic and is reasonably selective to the aluminum so you don't have to worry about punching through.

Thanks for stoppin' by :yo:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Pinhole schminhole... easier to fill than 100's of holes punched by a drill-tard. :D

Good times sanding that MT, go as light on it as you can where you have to sand, at 50 it can take up to 3 days to cure and then it doesn't sand like wood. :lol:

classiccat

Pinhole schminhole... easier to fill than 100's of holes punched by a drill-tard. :D

Good times sanding that MT, go as light on it as you can where you have to sand, at 50 it can take up to 3 days to cure and then it doesn't sand like wood. :lol:

Oh boy, good to know! I don't plan on doing much sanding on the bottom hull skin...just knock-down the high-spots (razor) to prevent water collection. With those acid treatments, that MT adhesion is excellent.

But for the transom skin, I'm glad you said something b/c I was going to wait until next w/e. thx bud! :thumb:

InMotion

Commander

Wow BF! Man... that's a big job almost behind ya! Nice work man.

So, just to clarify, what's next... skinning the transom? Just wasn't sure what the final was on that --- or are you just sanding it and painting it?

Take care...

Jim

classiccat

Wow BF! Man... that's a big job almost behind ya! Nice work man.

So, just to clarify, what's next... skinning the transom? Just wasn't sure what the final was on that --- or are you just sanding it and painting it?

Take care...

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Yeah, addressing the corrosion was one of the bigger parts of this project so far...mostly because of the acid washes. The cleaner (phosphoric acid based) is fairly straightforward but the surface conversion (chromate; similar to Alodine) has only a 2hr window to capitalize on great adhesion...and of course needs to be completely dry for the MarineTex. After the chromate conversion, the exposed aluminum is protected & resistant to future corrosion; great product! It's one of those things you go 2-3 ribs at several-hours a pop.

The entire inner hull & both sides of the transom skin are done! :humble:

The only work left is to knock-down the high-spots on the inside...and sand the outside for eventual paint. I also have to fab-up some exterior patches complimentary to the knee-brace due to the pin-holes.

dozerII

Admiral

Congrats on having that parts behind you Bf, wicked big undertaking.

classiccat

Congrats on having that parts behind you Bf, wicked big undertaking.

Thanks Glen!

As "fun" as that was, I hope to never have to do that again. :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

As "fun" as that was, I hope to never have to do that again. :lol:
On this boat, right?

Great work for a 1st!

It's a bit early, but perhaps a technical rehab award should be part of the SOTY process:

Best bent tin?
Best 'back from the brink' rehab?
Best tin pickin'?
Corrosion? I don't see no stinkin' corrosion....

None have overcome bad tin better. Well done.

Watermann

It is some tough work pulling an old tin boats foot out of the grave and making her new once again. I find myself envying these guys who don't have to deal with corrosion and pitting at every turn, the restore would go so much smoother.

barato2

Commander

i'm having visions of BF standing at the gate to the mythical Tin Boat Graveyard with his dremel and riveting hammer, barring the way for the Four Horsemen of the Tin Apocalypse (Corrosion, Neglect, Organic detritus buildup, and Previous owners) to save hapless tinnies from the smelter.....

classiccat

On this boat, right?

Great work for a 1st!

It's a bit early, but perhaps a technical rehab award should be part of the SOTY process:

Best bent tin?
Best 'back from the brink' rehab?
Best tin pickin'?
Corrosion? I don't see no stinkin' corrosion....

None have overcome bad tin better. Well done.

Thank you for the great compliment jb!

My approach to this rehab has been, "How's Murphy going to sneak-up & wallop me" (Failure Mode Effects Analysis).

It is some tough work pulling an old tin boats foot out of the grave and making her new once again. I find myself envying these guys who don't have to deal with corrosion and pitting at every turn, the restore would go so much smoother.

Amen brutha! It's pretty sad when someone's bilge looks better than...basically every square inch if tin on my entire boat...inside & out!

ya know, maybe Glen can photoshop-in some white dust, pits...and maybe a crack or 2 for his buddies :lol:
trimbits003_zps49e2c5bf.jpg

^^^ Major tin-envy!

i'm having visions of BF standing at the gate to the mythical Tin Boat Graveyard with his dremel and riveting hammer, barring the way for the Four Horsemen of the Tin Apocalypse (Corrosion, Neglect, Organic detritus buildup, and Previous owners) to save hapless tinnies from the smelter.....

That last Horseman is worse than the other-3 combined! :eek: :lol:

Watermann

Good lord that is some beautiful tin! Something I haven't seen :Cry:

Oh yeah another important MT sanding tip; move around frequently to multiple spots when sanding and allow the patch of MT to cool off. If you sand on one for too long the stuff gets hot and starts plugging the sanding wheel with clods ruining it.

Also my gunnels were on top of a plastic top table and not grounded, after sanding it gave me some ferocious jolts of static electricity when I would stop to fondle the tin. :heh:

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

I don't think I could deal with all the corrosion you have. It sure seems to be a real problem with the boats as you go further east and probably the same going west. The closer to salt water the worse the problem. There was a very small amount on the inside of the transom skin on all the tinnies I've worked on but nothing even close to what you are working with.