My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Anyways, I found it interesting that SC had it in backwards...surprised? not-so-much :lol:
Last boat off the line on Friday? :rolleyes:

I like the scupper style thru hull bottom bilge drain in my Duracraft, but it to has inherent design problems too.....
IMAG0795_zps21b78fa2-1.jpg

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

OK BF where do I score a plug fitting? I think it my be the last piece I remove before starting to rebuild. I hope I do not find corrosion there too. It is pretty much scattered all around the plug area.:eek:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Last boat off the line on Friday? :rolleyes:

I like the scupper style thru hull bottom bilge drain in my Duracraft, but it to has inherent design problems too.....

Friday...after coming back from happy hour :lol:

That's an interesting drain design jb!

OK BF where do I score a plug fitting? I think it my be the last piece I remove before starting to rebuild. I hope I do not find corrosion there too. It is pretty much scattered all around the plug area.:eek:

Hi Ed, definitely worth it for how far you're already along...you could use an easy Win right!!!

Moeller Drain Fittings

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's an interesting drain design jb!
Yeah, there's a rear facing scupper on the bottom side of the hull, and the little slots in the bilge side piece lets most of the water find it's way out of the boat, either on the trailer or running. The plug can only be put in & taken out from the bilge side, and it has very little contact area for the plug to grab.

And currently on sale ^^^ at iboats ;)

classiccat

The 2nd best element of a boat project...layout planning & design :D

My design goals are:
  • to lock the sides to the ribs (a rivet at rib-14 had a stress crack & the rivet heads on the last latitudinal rib #15 had signs of flex)
  • transfer load directly to the ribs, eliminate some unnecessary decking (affording a larger bow deck without weight penalty)
  • beef-up the bow-deck supports
  • add storage for lifejackets, anchor, house battery, tackle & a few backpacks (seems like all of my buddies bring a backpacks fishing & they always take-up twice the expected amount of room).

I've changed by design a bit; i'll be adding a full aluminum bulk-head right at the bow-deck cut-out. It will have a hatch...this hatch allows me to access the bow area if I ever need to get in there to check/repair things, etc.

^^ The deck terminates at the black line.

Here's how I'm starting to envision the bow-deck...and just staring at it, I've already decided to make the battery compartment (mainly for BMTM) 2x larger in case I go to a 24V motor. Today's plan is to restore the old-school motorguide BMTM that came with my BlueFin (circa 1983).

The "cavernous storage" area will be 1 massive partition that spans the width of the boat. It will have a removable floor for occasional inspection / cleaning and repair if needed.

I plan on making the anchor locker a removable aluminum box for bow access & cleaning.

Overall, it maintains some of the original look while suiting my needs to the "T".

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She is no longer a Starcraft, Blue. She's gonna be a BlueFin Special. :D

classiccat

She is no longer a Starcraft, Blue. She's gonna be a BlueFin Special. :D

Thanks GaB...but Oh boy, I'm already anxious that jas is going to pull my thread from the Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations the minute I whip-out the glass cloth & epoxy resin...this may be the straw that break's the camel's back! :eek: :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think you'll be ok w/ epoxy & glass. He who likes to send glassers into the great beyond has proposed using the same. I think it was his on the bulkhead & door for his Islander's former cabin.

Polyester & glass though, better look out:
angry-mob-vector.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Blue - How can anyone threaten yankin' from the SC R&R's. Too many new rivets and reinforcement for that. :joyous:

InMotion

Commander

Nice plans there BF... Really is deep up in the front of that boat! Jeeze.... you really can hold a lot of stuff up there! Plans look great... always nice to plan and lay stuff out.

J.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I'm digging the deck layout plans brutha! Never to much cavernous storage space!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Nice to see your moving on past the clean up and structure stage of the rebuild. Seems like progress is slow and almost unnoticeable in that phase. I can't wait to get past this ever lasting chore and get on to design and rebuilding.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great design stuff going on man!

Hey, suggestion for ya...

Swap your anchor and batt storage. Your batts will need more space than what you have all the forward. Plus, big heavy chunks of led like that will be better served sitting lower in the boat. Your anchor should slide nicely into that smaller space up front and the lighter weight would be better that far forward/high.

See whatimthinkin?

Cheers man:joyous:

classiccat

Hey Blue - How can anyone threaten yankin' from the SC R&R's. Too many new rivets and reinforcement for that. :joyous:

That's what I"m hoping for Ga...enough metal work to avoid the pitchforks & torches :lol:

Nice plans there BF... Really is deep up in the front of that boat! Jeeze.... you really can hold a lot of stuff up there! Plans look great... always nice to plan and lay stuff out.

J.

Thanks Jim! Yeah, when you chuck some of that walkthrough area, you pick-up a significant amount of storage volume.

classiccat

I'm digging the deck layout plans brutha! Never to much cavernous storage space!

Thanks bear! There's never enough storage & having a monster bow deck is something that I've been dreaming about for years!

Nice to see your moving on past the clean up and structure stage of the rebuild. Seems like progress is slow and almost unnoticeable in that phase. I can't wait to get past this ever lasting chore and get on to design and rebuilding.

Thanks Agua! clean-up & fixing stuff isn't completely behind me...just needed a change scenery (plus didn't have any resto time this weekend due to a crazy workload :cold:).

Great design stuff going on man!

Hey, suggestion for ya...

Swap your anchor and batt storage. Your batts will need more space than what you have all the forward. Plus, big heavy chunks of led like that will be better served sitting lower in the boat. Your anchor should slide nicely into that smaller space up front and the lighter weight would be better that far forward/high.

See whatimthinkin?

Cheers man:joyous:

Thanks Jas! You're like the Da Vinci of bow mods! :hail:

I hear ya lima-charlie on the battery placement...esp if I'm planning the possibility of having 2 deep cycles down the road..that will weigh as much as a 2cyl outboard. My fishin' buddy also pointed that out so we'll be making the swap.

Originally I had planned to put it right in front of the 1st bulk-head but there's just not enough clearance between the ribs & bottom of the deck (< 10").

SigSaurP229

Commander

Jas is for sure the man to talk to about battery placement, consider yourself lucky he didn't charge you a consulting fee.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Um, what are you laughing at Glen?

I am the foremost, world renowned, highly acclaimed, most sought after, super expert, in battery placement.

I have traveled the world over helping needy battery placement boat builders.

I am, without a doubt, better at placing batteries than almost ALL the 4th graders I have ever met (with average/below average intelligence scores).

So ya, I really don't know what you are laughing at Glen.

You'll be sorry when you try to find a spot for your batteries in that Holiday of yours and I'm too "busy" to give you a hand.

Oh yah, you'll be sorry all right Glen. You'll be sorry.

There, I'm glad we got that all straightened out.

dozerII

Admiral

Um, what are you laughing at Glen?

I am the foremost, world renowned, highly acclaimed, most sought after, super expert, in battery placement.

I have traveled the world over helping needy battery placement boat builders.

I am, without a doubt, better at placing batteries than almost ALL the 4th graders I have ever met (with average/below average intelligence scores).

So ya, I really don't know what you are laughing at Glen.

You'll be sorry when you try to find a spot for your batteries in that Holiday of yours and I'm too "busy" to give you a hand.

Oh yah, you'll be sorry all right Glen. You'll be sorry.

There, I'm glad we got that all straightened out.

^^:laugh::laugh::boink:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I got your apology PM Glen. Your truly heartfelt apology is accepted. Really there's no need for you to send the gift basket though.

And yes, when you get into your batt placement, I'll give you a hand. I hold no grudge.

There, all is right in the world again:joyous: