My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Our misfortune of finding boats 4 decades old with one foot in the grave I suppose. Tough not to fall in love with them though and go forward with repairs. What gives me continued hope is the fact that our Starmada SOTY winner pulled off an awesome one of a kind restore with a similar foot in the grave SC.

Forward we go!

barato2

Commander

ya know, with that bending brake, you could probably make up some reinforcement for it....;)

seriously, if you were at all nervous, it'd be fairly simple at this point to make up a 2d layer skin for the transom

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow,,,,,,,that's some tough looking cancer. The good is that you have a plan of action and moving forward.

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

I hate to even say it out loud buddy but I know you've been thinking it the same as me... What's under those ribs... :confused: I have a fear of taking mine off, what a PITA. :grumpy:

Hi all, BF I have been following closely and let me say I appreciate all the hard work you and others have completed so folks like myself can feed off of it, thanks. I to have some corrosion in the transom area along with an unrecoverable transom skin bowed welded poorly and lots of corrosion the result of treated wood transom boards. Like Watermann I have been wondering what is under the last rib next to transom. Should I take the plunge? I just have to Know :faint2:. ED aka Bestmason, my other name was taken.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Our misfortune of finding boats 4 decades old with one foot in the grave I suppose. Tough not to fall in love with them though and go forward with repairs. What gives me continued hope is the fact that our Starmada SOTY winner pulled off an awesome one of a kind restore with a similar foot in the grave SC.

Forward we go!

This is one way for me to feel better about my boat:
IMAG1158.jpg

:facepalm:

I'm sorry dude, that sucks!

ya know, with that bending brake, you could probably make up some reinforcement for it....

seriously, if you were at all nervous, it'd be fairly simple at this point to make up a 2d layer skin for the transom

I already planned on replacing the "wood" PLY with aluminum plate. I'm also thinking of exterior reinforcement at the kneebrace...OTOH, that would be pretty easy to retrofit down the road if the corrosion worsens & starts pokin' through :peep:

Wow,,,,,,,that's some tough looking cancer. The good is that you have a plan of action and moving forward.

Bah, not too bad Willy; she'll be ok :thumb: Maybe I should start showcasing the "good" aluminum on this boat so you guys quit feeling sorry for me (or her?) :lol:

Hi all, BF I have been following closely and let me say I appreciate all the hard work you and others have completed so folks like myself can feed off of it, thanks. I to have some corrosion in the transom area along with an unrecoverable transom skin bowed welded poorly and lots of corrosion the result of treated wood transom boards. Like Watermann I have been wondering what is under the last rib next to transom. Should I take the plunge? I just have to Know. ED aka Bestmason, my other name was taken.

Go for it Ed! it's "only" 50 or so rivets. Compared to what you have planned for that transom, temporarily removing a rib is child's play...and good practice for your transom work :p

Have you decided how to proceed with your transom?

Watermann

Misery loves company!

barato2

Commander

wait, you're painting it black and going into mourning for it after all this work??;)

a thought on your exterior reinf: it could be as simple as oversize fender washers or better yet a plate of 5052 1/4" or better thick which would tie all the bolts together. after all you're doing to the boat, you might as well add that while you've got it apart....?? the 5052 plate would only require drilling a few holes.

classiccat

Misery loves company!

wait, you're painting it black and going into mourning for it after all this work??;)

a thought on your exterior reinf: it could be as simple as oversize fender washers or better yet a plate of 5052 1/4" or better thick which would tie all the bolts together. after all you're doing to the boat, you might as well add that while you've got it apart....?? the 5052 plate would only require drilling a few holes.

Ya know, I promised myself that I'd lay-off the doom-n-gloom for awhile.

But I know Agua is hurting really bad inside.

So here's a constellation shot of what was tucked away behind the knee brace. You can thank me later buddy :p :lol:

Needless to say, this area will be reinforced...heavily :madgrin:

dozerII

Admiral

The danger that lurks inside, that is scary. I'm sure glad I haven't had to deal with much of that carp.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Yikes, as someone who had corrosion under the motor mount, now you have me wondering what's behind my knee brace (which I never removed)

:embarassed:

Watermann

Thanks for the solar system and crab nebula shot buddy, I do feel better now. When I get the hull all done the pain will subside but I can see the end is near. I need to get started cutting up my new tin into some hull stiffener sized pieces. Wish I had a shear... oh well some aluminum cutting fluid and saw should do it.

I have my inspiration for the weekend!

classiccat

The danger that lurks inside, that is scary. I'm sure glad I haven't had to deal with much of that carp.

I'm glad too Glen!

Yeesh:blue:

yep...that 'bout sums it up perfectly!

Yikes, as someone who had corrosion under the motor mount, now you have me wondering what's behind my knee brace (which I never removed)

:embarassed:

nah don't sweat it CT. I should elaborate a little on these really deep pits...they occur at where the skin kinked from getting dropped I assume at the ramp.

Thanks for the solar system and crab nebula shot buddy, I do feel better now. When I get the hull all done the pain will subside but I can see the end is near. I need to get started cutting up my new tin into some hull stiffener sized pieces. Wish I had a shear... oh well some aluminum cutting fluid and saw should do it.

I have my inspiration for the weekend!

Not a problem! Lookin' forward to structural transformation! Did you pick-up a bending brake?

classiccat

For anyone replacing their drain fitting, the 0.040 to 0.090" thickness kit (1" drain fitting) should be a perfect fit.

The instructions are backwards from how the original was installed (O-ring on the inside):

instructions (o-ring on the outside):

:noidea:

5200 will make it right regardless :D

Watermann

Hey that looks sharp, not sure I've seen anyone replace the drain before, looks like corrosion found it's way inside there as well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a thought. Maybe the O-ring was inside the hull to keep the UV off of it and extend the life of the O-ring. :noidea:, but it sounds good.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think the O ring should be on the exterior.

Once water reaches an O-ring on the interior side of the transom skin, it's already on the inside of the transom...... Although only by 0.0600+/-....

And it looks like the aluminum ring for the exterior has a recess to allow the O-ring to be seated into the aluminum ring & be captive between the ring & the drain tube when it passes thru the rings & hull (the ring on the far left):
DrainPlug20140124_MG_2214_zps98840c2b.jpg

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

I wouldn't think it would matter whether its on the inside or outside of the transom,

but if it were me, I would probably just cut another o-ring gland on the other spacer and put an o-ring on the inside and outside. All overkill, as 5200 or 4200 would probably be more than sufficient to seal it up without any o-rings.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a thought, JB. And with a slathering of 5200, water shouldn't get inside the hull, even the .600". Hard to tell if SC smeared any sealant on the tube or rings in Blue's pic ^^^^. But there must be some.

classiccat

the old drain fitting was toast inside & out. Very simple & cheap to do.

I agree with the instructions...and it makes sense to have the smaller spacer on the inside; it will drain more water given the transom angle. Recess is definitely for the o-ring.

Anyways, I found it interesting that SC had it in backwards...surprised? not-so-much :lol: