My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

barato2

Commander
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

dude! are you trying to get between me and my main man Murphy?

gloves are like high beams....should be used unless there's a reason you can't. not that i follow my own advice.....:facepalm:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Well there's the problem! You have your holidays mixed up. Light strands are put up for Christmas when it's 30 below and you don't feel the pain or bleed badly because of the frostbite. :laugh:

Guessin' you will be finishing up the patching over the weekend barring ER trips.:)

^^ and we're wearing gloves :)

It doesn't look like I'll be bangin' the patch rivets this w/e; our deck isn't going to stain itself :facepalm:

dude! are you trying to get between me and my main man Murphy?

gloves are like high beams....should be used unless there's a reason you can't. not that i follow my own advice.....:facepalm:

Murphy is getting me back for finding all of his traps on this p.o.s. hull! :lol:

classiccat

When I removed the rubrail/trim, nearly all of the outer rivets were sheared off. Basically the rubrails were holding the outer caps on.

Also, all 4 rivets holding the gunwale to the rear risers (2 port / 2 starboard) were sheared...no wonder she was cracking to pieces!

The plan is to replace the outer cap & rear-riser pop rivets with solid.

Just putting the rivets in place stiffens the hull-up considerably. With so little support, I'm surprised the entire port side didn't just crack-off and sink :lol:

Last edited:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Those solid rivets look good... ! good work.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry about the damage to your sandwich grabbers.. that's not good. I'm guessing the lacerations were from the boat, unless you had an oopsy with your freddy kruger costume...

classiccat

Sorry about the damage to your sandwich grabbers.. that's not good. I'm guessing the lacerations were from the boat, unless you had an oopsy with your freddy kruger costume...

Thx P! ("oopsy": was from broken bulbs on a string of lights) The mitts are almost 100%...& the admiral hooked the garage up with a stocked 1st aid kit :lol:

Those solid rivets look good... ! good work.

Thx SMG! They look good now, wait until I buck them :lol: I need a 5/8" chisel spring for my brazier-head rivet set :facepalm:

Port-side is more of a horror show, rivets were popped from bow to beyond mid-ship.

So if any of y'all have of alot of in/out slop in your hull's freeboard, you may want to have a peek under that rubrail channel.

Last edited:

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking good man

barato2

Commander

the Six Million Dollar tinnie....? somehow i'm having visions of you in the superhero spandex, flying in to intercept negelcted Starcrafts on their way to the crusher.....:joyous: It's a bird, it's a plane, no.....it's Bluefin, swooping in to rescue the poor tinnie some nefarious villian has tied to the RR trax....

jbcurt00

Staff member

somehow i'm having visions of you in the superhero spandex, flying in to intercept negelcted and ABUSED Starcrafts....
^^^ :lol:

Where were you BF during the dreadful TruckBedliner Ordeal of 2012? Coulda used a super hero.......

classiccat

looking good man

Thanks Brenn!

the Six Million Dollar tinnie....? somehow i'm having visions of you in the superhero spandex, flying in to intercept negelcted Starcrafts on their way to the crusher.....:joyous: It's a bird, it's a plane, no.....it's Bluefin, swooping in to rescue the poor tinnie some nefarious villian has tied to the RR trax....

just your average Clark Kent who appreciates the fact that they don't make 1975 StarCraft SuperSports any longer...

...and would rather not be put in the situation where I'd be praying that Aquaman was real :lol:

^^^ :lol:

Where were you BF during the dreadful TruckBedliner Ordeal of 2012? Coulda used a super hero.......

even better...Marty McFly and his DeLorean to curb history and that crazy PO's bedliner shenanigans!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Bluefin, I noticed those cracks in your SC and the ones Grand dad had on his. I think the patch should hold up just fine. Really keeping my eye peeled on the Chief for those. I've decided that I'm going to fabricate the side braces for strengthening the seam in the hull that were installed in some of the SC's I've seen. Should be a fairly easy and straight forward retro fit one between every other rib up to about the helm.

Here is a pic of some of the ones I've seen in other restos.

classiccat

Bluefin, I noticed those cracks in your SC and the ones Grand dad had on his. I think the patch should hold up just fine. Really keeping my eye peeled on the Chief for those. I've decided that I'm going to fabricate the side braces for strengthening the seam in the hull that were installed in some of the SC's I've seen. Should be a fairly easy and straight forward retro fit one between every other rib up to about the helm.

Here is a pic of some of the ones I've seen in other restos.

thanks for stoppin' by H2O!

ooohh...that's the 1st time that I've seen the braces between the ribs...and it looks factory. I wonder if it's a pre-'79 SC that was still under warranty :noidea: ? Retrofitting them under the ribs is ideal & looks good on paper, but man... alot of hacking on the rib-ends and it would be tough to tie-in to the seam.

I had flex as far as 2 ribs forward of the helm.

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

almost sure those braces would be factory. who else would drill that many holes below waterline?

barato2

Commander

i'm sure he's very intelligent, but i think you're giving your dog too much credit. i bet he actually chewed the holes in the aluminum....

classiccat

i'm sure he's very intelligent, but i think you're giving your dog too much credit. i bet he actually chewed the holes in the aluminum....
:facepalm:

:fish:

...good one Bruce!!!

InMotion

Commander

Hey man,... just getting caught back up here... holy smokes... you've been busy... so let me get this straight... bashed finger, cut fingers, a ton of missing rivets, patches galore... yikes!

Was the previous owner running that boat as an ice breaker??? Good grief!

Anyway your progress looks good... perhaps some safety gloves are in order???!!! :)

Take care,

Jim

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Ya know I was thinking a guy could just put 2 rivets or ss machine screws on the bottom, 2 at the seam and 2 on the side with the brace pieces bedded in either 5200 or marine epoxy. There's no way I would drill all those rivets out of the seam. I agree that the rib area would be best but there would be far less flex in the area of concern with the braces in between the ribs.

classiccat

Hey man,... just getting caught back up here... holy smokes... you've been busy... so let me get this straight... bashed finger, cut fingers, a ton of missing rivets, patches galore... yikes!

Was the previous owner running that boat as an ice breaker??? Good grief!

Anyway your progress looks good... perhaps some safety gloves are in order???!!! :)

Take care,

Jim

perhaps a sandbar dredger? :lol: I think a misconception about old tin is that you can beat the snot out of it and just put it away.

If it weren't for competing projects around the nest, I'd be much further along. Additionally, I was missing a few items to put my air riveting hammer in action.

I've never used one before so I'm a little anxious...yet excited to start making progress again! :thumb:

Ya know I was thinking a guy could just put 2 rivets or ss machine screws on the bottom, 2 at the seam and 2 on the side with the brace pieces bedded in either 5200 or marine epoxy. There's no way I would drill all those rivets out of the seam. I agree that the rib area would be best but there would be far less flex in the area of concern with the braces in between the ribs.

Putting those braces outside of the rib, I believe you're going to want as wide of a patch as possible...and at least 4 rivets in the bottom...2 close to the chine & 2 in the ends. The reason being is that you're transferring the load to an unbraced section of hull skin.

Anyways, I've been weighing pros/cons of 3 bracing methods. I'm leaning towards either the 2nd or 2nd+3rd (If I use the 3rd, I would still need the 2nd method forward of the helm.)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

after seeing the plates riveted in I went back and looked at picture of my boats...the 180SS 1982 vintage has this set up....a plate under every rib end!!
2efj43a.jpg
the 1971 Islander had one on the port side all the way up front....looked like it might have been a factory repair at some point!!! weird...
2rxv895.jpg
bob