My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Man Bob, that '82 hull is bombproof!

islander is funny! It almost looks as if they started retrofitting them to under the rib-ends and threw-in the towel after the 1st one! :lol:

classiccat

This evening I was able to get around to finally bucking the 1st rivets on the SC!

Here's my setup.

I picked-up this HF 21gal compressor (oiled) for a crazy low price. Attached is ball valve & a water separator.

A 25' hose takes me to my next trick, a pneumatic lubricator that attaches to the gunwale.

My understanding is that most boats use Brazier head rivets...which require a special rivet set...and this rivet set uses a nonstandard retaining spring. So I wasted a few days looking for one of these 5/8" retaining rings...and this morning realized that a 1/2" retaining spring can be transformed into a 5/8" retaining spring through the magic of "BFH-ing":

Anyways, that's the setup....it sure isn't pretty but darn does it get the job done! These took literally 2min with the HF air riveting hammer and the hook-end of a pry-bar for the bucktail.

Have a GREAT weekend guys and thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice its always amazing what a BFH can do sometimes

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's a great looking setup man!

classiccat

That's a great looking setup man!

Thanks a bunch Jason!!

I have to admit, knowing that I had so much riveting to do on this rig (and not having bucked a rivet in 27 years), this was a significant confidence hurdle for me.

The setup is working great! I drove another 30 gunwale rivets today...and MAN...she feels like a different boat already! Most, if not all, of the hull twist has disappeared. ...Good practice for the sub-waterline stuff :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Isn't it amazing what the old BFH can do for you. :D And an air riveter!!! Ya got your confidence level up to go under the waterline yet, Blue?

classiccat

Isn't it amazing what the old BFH can do for you. :D And an air riveter!!! Ya got your confidence level up to go under the waterline yet, Blue?

^^ I can't recommend one of these enough...unfortunately I don't see them offered on the HF website anymore. :( Using a SuperSaver coupon, I practically stole it.

...enough confidence to start however I won't have complete confidence until the leak test :lol:

64osby

Admiral

Looks like a perfect setup for MBS production. Six boats a year. :watermelon:

classiccat

Looks like a perfect setup for MBS production. Six boats a year. :watermelon:

...and change my name to "budskyJr" :lol: That guy cranks'em out!

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Blue LOL nice compressor setup, boats coming along great.

dozerII

Admiral

Now you've gone and done it, I don't have one of those fancy riveters yet!!! but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one on the Holiday.

classiccat

Thanks Blue LOL nice compressor setup, boats coming along great.

YW John...and thanks! I'm moving at a snail's pace compared to your builds!

Now you've gone and done it, I don't have one of those fancy riveters yet!!! but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one on the Holiday.

:eek: Glen, once you get one of these...and watch a few rivet bucktails melt like buttah...you'll be putting them everywhere you can fit a bucking bar :lol:

guys use air hammers...but I believe you lose the variable speed that an air riveting hammer provides. with a riveting hammer, start-off slow and ease-into the mayhem! :madgrin:

classiccat

Quick update today...I'm short on resto-time these days.

I wanted to share a quick, clean way to remove rivets.

I removed 7 seam rivets here since the heads were trashed...one head was completely missing.

step 1:
pop-the head off using a wood chisel.

The 5/32" blast right off. The 3/16" or larger, you may need to a drill a shallow hole (just deeper than the rivet head and smaller than the stem diameter) to thin the rivet stem.

Step-2:
punch-out the bucktail.

Last edited:

classiccat

You can see on the corrosion on the rivet stems; I believe these these were all seeping.

I stared at this for a bit and decided that the hull skin is too rough/gouged for proper sealing with some of the rivets.

I'll file-down the high spots & apply a patch buttered w/ 5200 (sharpie outline):

Have a great weekend guys and thanks for stoppin' by!!! :yo:

Last edited:

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Progress is progress! I think I might have about 300 of my rivets out so far, couple more to go ;)

64osby

Admiral

That sure looks like a rivet chisel to me.:watermelon:

Nice work Blue.

classiccat

Progress is progress! I think I might have about 300 of my rivets out so far, couple more to go ;)

Thanks Jason! If you're stickin' with the original plan, I'd say you have a few more left :lol:

That sure looks like a rivet chisel to me.:watermelon:

Nice work Blue.

...and it looks identical to my epoxy chisel :lol:

Thanks 64!

classiccat

Hey guys! :yo:

Progress on the tub has been zilch over the last 2 weeks due to the fall honey-do list + more on my plate at work(not complaining).

However these pale in comparison to my biggest distraction...Fall Fattie season!

We over-nighted at a reservoir recently. Full moon rise (30-second exposure):

25+# around 10pm

and run from this 27+ pulled me from my bivy at 4am...I forgot my glasses, headlamp and shoes making netting this fish "interesting" :lol:

^^^ that's a valid excuse for taking a break from bucking rivets ...right :joyous:

dozerII

Admiral

Wicked fish, they must be a fight to land. I'm thinking your right, fishing is a good enough reason for not working on the SC.