My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Ok, Y'all know me better than that.

if there were internet trolls in the mob, I would've let that post up for a few days

I'm running out of "food" for my gallon-can of Zip Strip :hungry:

Thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Darn it, Blue - I liked the pumpkin. Halloween is coming, so now what are you gonna do? Ya can't draw a scary face on bare tin. :D

classiccat

Darn it, Blue - I liked the pumpkin. Halloween is coming, so now what are you gonna do? Ya can't draw a scary face on bare tin. :D

my hull is plenty scary already :eek:

classiccat

I worked a bit on the port-side patch work this afternoon.

drilled the crack-stops:

rib-7 only needed 2 :facepalm: all of that bangin' and flippin' caused those cracks to merge.

I think its important for the patch to conform to the hull as much as possible...multiple licks with the dead-blow hammer formed the patch nicely with the hull:

1 shot connected squarely on my thumb making text messaging the Admiral difficult...I needed more Joe Mamma's Milk:

classiccat

Once the patch has been pounded into shape, I drilled holes that will eventually hold the corner rivets.

5/32" holes drilled...and 1 corner is transferred to the Hull...

the hole transferred to the hull is tapped (6/32")...

...and a clearance hole is made in the patch:

With the patch secured to the hull, the remaining 3 holes are transferred to the Hull...

and tapped.

the patch is now secured to the Hull with 6/32 screws.

I'm diggin' it! Big time! Bomb-proof! Only 8 more to go.

Once I decide on which rivets to use, I'll transfer the existing rib holes to the patch. The I'll drill-out the outer-holes and they'll also get solid rivets (the screws are temporary).

Thanks for stoppin' by!

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Patch looks really great man!

Hey, did I miss it...

Did ya back butta with 5200?

classiccat

Patch looks really great man!

Hey, did I miss it...

Did ya back butta with 5200?

Yea Jas! 5200 will be flowin' once all of the final holes (rivet sized) are drilled. :yo:

Basically all of this effort is to make sure that the holes line-up perfectly.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Either that or Joe Mamas Milk should do the trick eh:thumb:

classiccat

Either that or Joe Mamas Milk should do the trick eh:thumb:

5200 will have to do...I'm all out of Joe Mamma's Milk ....

...the Admiral brought back a gallon of milk ...try texting down 1 thumb :lol:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi BlueFin. Just wondering, are you planning to put patches on the outside or on the inside of the hull? I'd put them on the inside wherever possible, even if it means lifting a few ribs and re-rivetting. The corrosion on the inside will fill with 5200 when sandwiched with the patch. It'll be stronger and the outer skin of the hull will remain smooth and without apparent patching. - Grandad

dozerII

Admiral

You are a very patient man BF! That is quite the process for installing the patches. I agree with Grandad though they should go on the inside, both for looks as well as hydrodynamics (whoo awfull early for big words like that). Looking real good.

classiccat

Hi BlueFin. Just wondering, are you planning to put patches on the outside or on the inside of the hull? I'd put them on the inside wherever possible, even if it means lifting a few ribs and re-rivetting. The corrosion on the inside will fill with 5200 when sandwiched with the patch. It'll be stronger and the outer skin of the hull will remain smooth and without apparent patching. - Grandad

You are a very patient man BF! That is quite the process for installing the patches. I agree with Grandad though they should go on the inside, both for looks as well as hydrodynamics (whoo awfull early for big words like that). Looking real good.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Glen, I hope you're going fishing at that hour! :eek:

These patches aren't for inner-hull corrosion but rather rib-end stress cracks. It's a comfort thing...I'd feel better if these cracks & stops had some metal over them...plus most of the outermost rivet holes are really distorted; I think a PO tried rebucking them to fix the problem.

I'm not too worried about the aesthetics...although "hydrodynamics" are somewhat of a concern...more so the handling than velocity/acceleration (I don't anticipate breaking any speed records with a 40yo 70 horse :lol:).

Only 1 corrosion spot is going to need patching (part that corroded completely through); after measuring all of the pitted areas, the remaining aluminum is thick enough where I believe MarineTex "spackle" will be adequate.

barato2

Commander

assuming your patch material is about same thickness as your hull, you're only talking maybe .100-110" even with the 5200. i doubt you'll even notice the difference hydrodynamicwise with a .110" thick exterior patch that has about a 2 inch wide leading edge

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read through your thread tonight.I hope everything turns out good in your hull repair.I will be following along.

classiccat

assuming your patch material is about same thickness as your hull, you're only talking maybe .100-110" even with the 5200. i doubt you'll even notice the difference hydrodynamicwise with a .110" thick exterior patch that has about a 2 inch wide leading edge

yeah...and they're all lined-up like ducks in a row...i'm guessin' she'll be fine.

I just read through your thread tonight.I hope everything turns out good in your hull repair.I will be following along.
welcome aboard Brenn! :yo:

classiccat

ok guys, my typing ability is impacted by blunt-force trauma on one hand + several lacerations on the other...

...One from working on the boat / the other from putting up halloween decorations for the admiral. :facepalm: :lol:

i fought through the injuries :rolleyes: and have the patches form fitted & temp attached w/ screws:

I'm thrilled with the way these turned out. Most of these patches had to be done outside due to the condition of the existing rivet holes...completely cracked in 1/2, warped, distorted, etc.

A trick to really get the patches to conform to the hull is to 1st fasten the outer 2 screws, then whack the patch a few times with the dead blow hammer. It also leveled-out the hull aluminum.

almost ready to start smearin' the 5200 & bang-in some rivets!!

GA_Boater

If you did all that with a BFH-mini and a Jack-O-Lantern, what are you gonna look like after runnin' rivets? :eek:

I will be glad when you get past this. Like you won't. :D

dozerII

Admiral

patches look real good, as GA said careful while your riveting them on or your going to run out of fingers.

classiccat

patches look real good, as GA said careful while your riveting them on or your going to run out of fingers.

If you did all that with a BFH-mini and a Jack-O-Lantern, what are you gonna look like after runnin' rivets? :eek:

I will be glad when you get past this. Like you won't. :D

Are you guys implying that suture & IV kits be purchased prior to firing-up the compressor / riveting hammer? :lol:

I suppose I should fill you in on HOW exactly I injured myself putting-up halloween decorations. I was trying to put-up decorations in the dark and a strand of lights wasn't working. So i crumble the strand up into a ball ...and soon after "discover" that it had broken bulbs :lol:

Feeling has returned back to my thumb so we're g2g there. :thumb:

GA_Boater

Well there's the problem! You have your holidays mixed up. Light strands are put up for Christmas when it's 30 below and you don't feel the pain or bleed badly because of the frostbite. :laugh:

Guessin' you will be finishing up the patching over the weekend barring ER trips.:)