My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

I second that emotion . . . but give the structure a good going over, Step heavily on every inch of the deck. Then hope for the best. But better to throw 3K into the wrong boat than 10K as smoothy says. As mentioned above, I have had great joy from my 1990 boat and I had to replace a deck section. It was fun to do, actually. I put in a swivelling pedestal helm seat in place of the driver's back-to-back while I was at it. Way cool!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the support! I may ask questions tomorrow!

mrbusdriver

Seaman

Just my two cents, I have had several different types of boats and now have a pontoon and it is the best choice. Does everything that you could ask and has plenty of room for family and friends. Good Luck with your pick.

Downforce6

Seaman

Good luck today Restless!

Personally, I'd leave the family at home for this. You don't need the distraction and kids and wife pulling things out of the compartments "whats this?!"... I know they are excited,, just feel like giving yourself the opportunity to spend all the time talking to the seller and looking at the boat is the way to go. everyone is different tho.

for the Vets---- Nobody is ignoring your advice, it is all greatly appreciated and you have all proven to be a great resource. I guess like a little kid we novices just have to learn some things by experience. I knew when I bought mine older Bayliners were not the most popular, but the price, the way it was taken care of, the size, I just felt this was the best buy I had found (and I did look pretty hard) and it seemed right for me and the my primary lake. Heck at $3500, I figure if we get 5 years out of this boat I'll be more than pleased. I've no doubt I'll be ready to upgrade a bit by then anyway.

About the I/O, this appealed to me, because, it looked like an engine i'm familiar with. Maybe it's fair to say the outboard is just the same motor with a case over it (I really have no idea), but I never really wanted an outboard.

I'n any case all i'm really trying to say is that if we/someone isn't taking every piece of advice, it's all still very much apprieciated! Don't want u guys to get discouraged and think "hell, these newbies never listen anyway!"

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before I head out, take a look at these 2 boats.

One is a 1988 Wellcraft Aruba Sport Cruiser with hydraulic lift for $7800. http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/3055764822.html

I looked at this Wellcraft yesterday. It could use cleaning and wax, but it's 10 minutes away, and they offered a sea test.

The other is a 1990 Chapparal at $5500. http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/3066320972.html

Looks nice, but look at the starboard side. The glass has been repaired after an accident.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rise and shine, wise men!

I need help.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me tell yout his. That Wellcraft looks like a nice freakin' boat. It's stored on a lift under a cover? That could be a good way to go. I have to tell you though as an owner of a 24' boat...it's a LOT more boat than a 19'. Everything is going to cost you more and you'll have a laundry list of items to go over before you just take it out.

I really like the idea of leaving the kids/wife at home while you go out on your first journey into boat land. I'm glad you're looking at more than just that Chapparal because you seemed infatuated with it and if I'm being honest, it doesn't look great.

This 1990 Chaparral looks like it's in decent shape. How do you plan to check the stringers and wood for rot? My suggestion is that grab the outboard or outdrive on any boat you're looking at and really try to move it. You should be able to pick the boat up with a crane by the outdrive so don't be worried about breaking anything. It's under tremendous stress when you are under power so your weight and abilities are NOTHING. If the transom flexes or you get some flex inside at the motor....walk away. That's where rot will almost always exist if it's spread throughout the boat. It's going to be in the bilge, it's going to get the transom and that's where you'll find it first. If those areas are good, you should be just fine. If you look in the bilge, take a look at the motor mounts. Tap on them and look for any delamination. If water has historically been pooling in the boat and freezing, it'll show up as delam all over the place. Once the water gets in there and freezes and expands tears apart the wood.

If the boat has foam, there will be a gap between the stringers and the foam. That gap indicates that stringer has expanded ALOT at some point and shrunk back down. Foam saturated with moisture is another indicator.

A lot of times you can see stringers and some critical parts by pulling out coolers and opening up ski lockers. Make sure nothing in there looks brand new. If it looks like it has a newer deck or refinished interior, that's a bad sign. You'll have to check stringers to ensure they didn't just slap a new deck over old stringers (which is what they usually do).

I noticed you said that on the wellcraft they offered a sea test and while I know term is used loosely...is that boat in salt water?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to put this the wrong way, but does anybody else feel like he's ignored 4 pages of advice?

Just remember we always listen and take in all the valuable information you guys give us and highly appreciate everyone of you taking your time to respond. I personally don't always take the advice and honestly am sometimes sorry I didn't but I do always have all the info in my mind when I make my decision :) Just keep the info coming !!!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me tell yout his. That Wellcraft looks like a nice freakin' boat. It's stored on a lift under a cover? That could be a good way to go. I have to tell you though as an owner of a 24' boat...it's a LOT more boat than a 19'. Everything is going to cost you more and you'll have a laundry list of items to go over before you just take it out.

I really like the idea of leaving the kids/wife at home while you go out on your first journey into boat land. I'm glad you're looking at more than just that Chapparal because you seemed infatuated with it and if I'm being honest, it doesn't look great.

This 1990 Chaparral looks like it's in decent shape. How do you plan to check the stringers and wood for rot? My suggestion is that grab the outboard or outdrive on any boat you're looking at and really try to move it. You should be able to pick the boat up with a crane by the outdrive so don't be worried about breaking anything. It's under tremendous stress when you are under power so your weight and abilities are NOTHING. If the transom flexes or you get some flex inside at the motor....walk away. That's where rot will almost always exist if it's spread throughout the boat. It's going to be in the bilge, it's going to get the transom and that's where you'll find it first. If those areas are good, you should be just fine. If you look in the bilge, take a look at the motor mounts. Tap on them and look for any delamination. If water has historically been pooling in the boat and freezing, it'll show up as delam all over the place. Once the water gets in there and freezes and expands tears apart the wood.

If the boat has foam, there will be a gap between the stringers and the foam. That gap indicates that stringer has expanded ALOT at some point and shrunk back down. Foam saturated with moisture is another indicator.

A lot of times you can see stringers and some critical parts by pulling out coolers and opening up ski lockers. Make sure nothing in there looks brand new. If it looks like it has a newer deck or refinished interior, that's a bad sign. You'll have to check stringers to ensure they didn't just slap a new deck over old stringers (which is what they usually do).

I noticed you said that on the wellcraft they offered a sea test and while I know term is used loosely...is that boat in salt water?

Emergency update!!!!

The Wellcraft has never been in salt water. AND, the slip is included in the deal!!! The fees are paid through OCTOBER! I wouldn't have to trailer it!!!! Not to mention the lift that's included!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm feelin' better about it now. He just seemed hell bent on that one old, blown out looking boat and I got scared for him, lol. If he goes and looks at lots of them he'll get a good idea, but if you get set on a "great priced" with a "motivated seller" before you've done your homework, you're destined to be kicking your own butt.

I do realize that experience is only gained one way and I know we all accept that. I've made bad choices that's for sure, but I won't be making the sames one again.

Don't downplay the value of a good trailer by the way if you need one. It'll be a whole 'nother headache, lol. (Experience I just had to learn about). In my case the trailer seemed in decent shape when I bought it, but it needed new brakes, new lines, new coupler, new keel rollers and I had to rebuild most of the bunks. It sure seemed like everything was "in pretty decent shape" when I was handing the money over for it!. By the time all is said and done...I should've bought a brand new galvanized trailer. It would have only cost me about another $1500 over my parts cost for repairs and saved me some time.

This is specifically targeted at that Wellcraft. The larger boats are where the trailer gets to being a bigger issue.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

DO NOT buy the Wellcraft until you have a survey done OR hire a mobile marine mechanic in your area to come assist you. If you plan to store it in a slip it's now your responsibility. You have to know when the bellows where changed/inspected. You need to know when the thru-hulls were installed and what kind of condition they are in. When was the bilge pump replaced? There's a lot of things that can sink a boat in a slip and you'd be wise to spend $75-$200 to get some expertise on your side before you make that decision.

BTW- I'm behind that choice if it checks out. See if you can get some history about if it's always lived in the covered slip. Go big or go home! Do you already have a tow vehicle that can pull that boat?

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DO NOT buy the Wellcraft until you have a survey done OR hire a mobile marine mechanic in your area to come assist you. If you plan to store it in a slip it's now your responsibility. You have to know when the bellows where changed/inspected. You need to know when the thru-hulls were installed and what kind of condition they are in. When was the bilge pump replaced? There's a lot of things that can sink a boat in a slip and you'd be wise to spend $75-$200 to get some expertise on your side before you make that decision.

BTW- I'm behind that choice if it checks out. See if you can get some history about if it's always lived in the covered slip. Go big or go home! Do you already have a tow vehicle that can pull that boat?

Yep. 2001 4WD Tahoe with a 350 and tow package.

The seller just told me that this was his first boat, and that he upgraded to a house boat at the next dock. I have seen it. It's freaking nice. It looks like these folks have the $$$.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, this is the marina I want to be at. The slips have a LONG waiting list. I can see us hanging out at the dock from Friday afternoons until Sunday. Hell, I could sell the lift and make some cash if I have to.

I know everyone who works at the marina. My friend is the manager. There is a burger joint across the road. We can fish and BBQ.

Help me wise men!!!!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not super familiar with that wellcraft, but I don't think your tahoe will pull it. I wouldn't pull it with a tahoe, let's put it that way. It's hard for me to say really though. I have a 24' skipjack and I wouldn't tow it with anything less than a 2500/250 3/4 ton truck. V10's and diesels only. The boat weighs 5500# dry, add in the fuel (168 gallons worth), and the trailer and it's up around at least 8000lbs, then all of our gear and stuff I figure it's gotta be nearly 9000 lbs. I don't want anything with a towing capacity under about 11,000lbs. It all adds up and I dunno if a Tahoe is the ticket.

Don't let that be a deal breaker though. If you keep it in the slip you only need to haul it out once a year or so and you can rent a vehicle to do that with if you need to. The tahoe would probably even work for that task, I just don't know if you want to be driving on a regular basis towing something that big with it.

That lift alone has to be worth a pretty penny to lift that big ol' *** boat outta there.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for a mobile mechanic. That's my advice. Search for local fishing forums in your area. They will have guys who know where to find a mobile mechanic, even on a Saturday morning. Find one, pay him to come out with you and check out the boat. That's a big investment and it could be a HUGE nightmare, but the obvious stuff will be obvious to someone who works on boats for a living.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have already called the marina to see if the manager could find me someone today.

We are probably going for a test today. This one is at the top of my list. The boat, the lift, the slip, the location is what I want.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The marina guys say the boat is a winner. They know the current and previous owners, who have bigger boats at the marina. The boat had some work a few years ago, and had a recent tune up in site at Angler Marine. The marina has a repair shop on site. I know those guys well too.

It has always lived in this slip.

The floating docks are all metal with a roof and they have concrete walkways and fingers with all the hookups.

We are going tomorrow to test it.

We are so excited!!!!

Do y'all see specific features that I don't?

rogerwa

Commander

I would be hesitant to buy a boat without seeing it out of the water. No matter what the marina owner says. There is no way to see what horrors lay under the water line or poke at the bellows, look for rot at the transom etc.

One of the key things to look at on an io is the condition of the upper or driveshaft bellows. This is a rubber boot that shields the driveshaft as it passes thought the transom to the lower unit. If this has never been service, it can crack, let water in, destroy the gimble bearing and potentially sink the boat. Don't want to scare you but it is true. The lower bellows which carries the exhaust is not an issue if cracked as some replacements actually have vents I them.

Response today will be slow as everyone is out playing or mowing the lawn.

rogerwa

Commander

Ok, didn't see the comment that the bellows had been changed. Just two additional comment..

1) wellcraft was a good quality high end brand boat.
2) that is a big boat. Watersports will not be as good as with a smaller bowrider. It will also suck a LOT of fuel. Just something to be aware of. It is also a large boat to tow and trailer when the slip runs out..