My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

We will keep the slip. We have no plans to give it up.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say go big or go home. This is a lot more than I pay for such a gamble, but more power to ya if you feel you've got some good background information on a good boat. It could be a disaster, but I hope for you it's not.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was hoping more of the fellas would chime in with you.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a nice boat but fuel will be an issue. Make sure your budget allows for it. Not only will you be burning a lot more than a smaller boat but with no trailering you will have to buy the high dollar marina fuel. Don't sell yourself on the boat before the test run but sometimes patience pays off. As far as the Tahoe goes, my signature boat weighs about 4500 - 5000 lbs loaded and it's all theTahoe wants. It has a 5.3 and 4wd. I would not pull anything any heavier for any distance. If it was a close haul maybe. Good Luck !!

Downforce6

Seaman

"We are probably going for a test today. This one is at the top of my list. The boat, the lift, the slip, the location is what I want."

That is a major plus in my opinion. add the fact you said the Marina manager was a friend of your's. Major plus again, even if you don't end up going with the Wellcraft, I'd use these guys as big resources in helping you find a boat. I'm sure you're already doing that tho, just giving you a +1.

That boat is one heck of a long way from the 16' Bowrider I believe you started with, again sounds like you got alot of resources here, I would talk to your buddies about fuel, maintenance cost. They are going to be substantial my friend, (For my budget), if you can afford it, and are willing to spend it, then I guess no worries.

I'm giving another +1 to the towing comment. If the 8000lb estimate is right about the boat/trailer/fuel. That is too much for a 1/2 ton Tahoe. But, in a slip, 10 minutes away, doesnt sound like your going to need to tow it much, and like said before, you could just rent something, or I'm sure your Marina buddies could hook you up with someone to move it for you.

That is alot more boat than I would want to start with, we had our first outing yesterday. The 17' bowrider was great for us, but there is only me, wife and 10 year old daughter, and still with our coolers and other gear, the boat was almost cramped, but not too bad.
However, watching the toons around us, and the guy in the houseboat grilling up some meat on his deck, I can certainly see a much larger boat in our future. If I were you, with the teenagers and all that, if you havent already done so, I'd look at how much pontoon you can buy for 10K. I think that will get you a pretty nice, newer, Poonton for that money, much cheaper to operate and maintain. (I would think).

Let us know how it goes with the Wellcraft! Wish you the best!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel is definitely going to burn MUCH faster and that boat will need a ton of it. I don't know what size fuel tank is on that boat, but my 24' boat has a 115 gallon tank + 2 saddle tanks (offshore fishing range) and I have no doubt it wolfs through it without any hesitation. I'm hoping for 1.5mpg on calm days, but accept and expect 1.0....are you ready for those kind of numbers?

Expect a day of fun out on the lake wakeboarding to cost about $300.00

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have talked about the numbers. I suppose we will actually play one weekend a month, and I imagine either way, we pay to play, lol.

It has a 70g fuel tank. Yes, I did the math on a fill up.

There are just several things going for this big boat. I know the maintenance, history, the owner is on the next dock, it's at the marina where I have friends, including other boat owners, it's in a slip with a lift, and we don't have to trailer it to go boating.

I know I shoul treadl lightly, but in the marina office Friday, I listened to some boat talk with owners and the local Marine Police LT. (who is also a long time friend), and I heard the lament of not having a bigger boat, and that how 3 more feet made a world of difference in these bowriders and cruisers on the Tennessee River.

Please dont think I'm ignoring any advice. I'm taking yours and the locals that I know and combining it.

I'll be honest. I am intimidated by the size, but a 19-20 ft Bowrider next to it looks big too.

Mhoepfin

Cadet

I don't usually post, but please heed the warning around operating costs including slip rental and factor that into your budget. You could easily be looking at $500-$1000/month just in operating costs.

The price of the boat is just the entry fee. Every time you spend a day out and it costs $200 in gas is when it gets painful.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So that's why the guys with the big boats drink cheap beer? ;-)

rogerwa

Commander

Just to let you know. Nobody on here will tell you what to do. They will only tell you what not to do.. If it is a good deal to you, that is all that matters. We just want to share experiences of what could happen so you go in with eyes open. You could find a brand new boat on here for $1000 and someone would tell you what a bad deal it is..

So if this is the one that fits your needs, trusting you know what they are and feel comfortable with the deal, then go for it.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems that your Tahoe can tow up to 8700 lbs, and the boat with gas and trailer would be under 7000 lbs. Sounds OK to me.:confused:

I am looking at a similar deal - 24 ft Doral Cavalier, 4,000 lbs dry, my truck pulls 7000 lbs. I will keep the boat at home (in the water) and go adventuring from time to time. We have a bowrider but it's the adventure I'm looking for! I had a 30 ft sailboat back in the 80s when everybody was making money, so i know what it's like to stay aboard and clean up after the funsters have gone home.:rolleyes:

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$6500. I bought a boat. The family is super excited!

The first owner bought it new and owned it for 20 years before this owner had it. I am now the third owner of a 1988 Wellcraft Aruba.

The boat has 335 hours on it, and it is much less intimidating in the water. A Hunmingbird Depth Finder is included too.

So I get the boat, the slip paid through October, and the lift. The slip also has a nice wooden platform at the stern area for a patio. The boat has always resided out of the water after use, even since new. When the first owner had it in another area in Tennessee, he bought a lift for it. When he moved it here, he bought a lift here.

Right now, I'm on Cloud Nine!!!

Also, ownership gives us right to use the boat owners pavilion, which is very nice, a new bathhouse with restrooms and laundry facility, a public pool is across the street, along with a burger place/store/bait shop.

We also get a half of a tank of gas thrown in.

Thank you all for the advice and help!!!

bgc

Ensign

:) congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

CONGRATS!! I was about to chime in. I like the boat you found. It makes a huge difference to know the history and you got a great deal it sounds like. It'll be great for you and your family. It is possibly a tad big for a newbie but you sound like you have learned a lot already!! Learn what you think you need to know - then continue to learn a lot more every time you are out. It will pay off.

Congrats Again!!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. We are so thrilled!!!
At $6500, we are ecstatic.

The seller told us about some cool local spots to anchor up, like watching the bats in Guntersville, and where not to go. He also told us about a book that a fellow owner here wrote about his vast experiences with the Tennessee River, with advice and great stories. Heck, the seller is even on the next dock and told us that he would help us anytime we needed it!

We like the boating community there a lot. I also like the boating community here a lot! I would buy everyone here who has chimed in a beer if I could!

Thank you, my iboats friends!

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't been on Guntersville in a few years. It always seems strange to me now (after being in deep lakes for 20+ years) to go there where it is so shallow. Not sure if you new it but Guntersville lake was formed when the TVA built the dam to flood farm land. Only in the channel is it over about 20' deep. Everywhere else it is flat and +/- 20'...

southkogs

Staff member

Congrats Restless ... let's get some pictures!!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll get some pics up soon. I'm taking off tomorrow to take the sellers registration to the credit union, which has me approved for much more than this price. I hope that goes smooth.

In other news, nothing we have done as a family in a loooong time has us all equally happy and excited!

This is what we needed. Boating may be the best thing for my family that I could ever do!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations. Sounds like you are happy with your purchase and that's what really matters. It's a good feeling the day you buy a boat and so far I haven't regretted getting into boating and I doubt you will either. You'll be out there in a pretty freakin' nice boat and I doubt you'll be looking at others wishing you had one.