My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

That's all normal maintenance my man. Manifolds/risers go bad as they pump raw water through them. It's not abnormal to have to replace those. I'm actually quite surprised you got all that done for $950.00. That's not a bad deal. I don't know what engine you have in that boat, but manifolds/risers is usually about $1000.00 right there.

Bad water pump?? Yup....common maintenance item.

Get used to it. The water is a harsh environment for a boat and it's an expensive hobby to get yourself into. You got in CHEAP! Look around at everyone else who's dropped $40k to get in on the fun.

If you honestly think you'd go back and not buy this boat because it's cost you $950.00, this hobby ain't gonna be for you. It's always about spending money...Once you get out there and have some fun with the family you'll understand it though. You gotta pay to play.

rogerwa

Commander

I think many of those repairs are more a matter of when than if. Get her fixed and just enjoy. This way you have piece of mind that those parts are new and won't need to be done a while..

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update.

After paying the mechanic for the remainder of the work, we set off on a cruise for fun. I made it to the fuel dock, albeit with some difficulty and some help from the attendants, and filled her up to the tune of $215. I then made it to the bait shop tie up, with some difficulty, and we got burgers to go, and dined on the boat.

I practiced navigating the channels, and after finding the "play spot" we aired up the Gladiator tube, tied it off, and I got to practice pulling and my kids LOVED it. I was able to get on plane almost naturally this time. Everyone had a blast.

All those troubles are a thing of the past today!!!

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat/dock/lift......$6500
Repairs to run with a peace of mind...$950
gas.....$200

Cruising with a frosty beverage and a huge smile on the kids faces tubing........Priceless!!

Keep up with the maintenance...and you have a great boat for along time to come!!!!

Congrats and enjoy every moment!!!!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I forgot to mention that we later made a sort of explaratory trip upriver to see the BB Comer Bridge, which is a historic metal span bridge slated for demolition in the future. Sure looks different from down below.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the others that an 18-21' boat would be the best given what you want to do with it. I prefer a fiberglass runabout due to water sports but a well set pontoon could work as well. Go to a good dealer and being able to test drive both would be the best so you know what fits you and your family or from a private party that you can trust. I would find someone you know or a good friend knows that you can trust and take that person with you.

If you go with a runabout I would go no less that a 4.3 I/O or a 250 outboard so you have power. I prefer the I/O so i don't have to deal with the motor in the way and the swim platform.

If you want to dream get a tri-toon with a blown 502 in it.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's all normal maintenance my man. Manifolds/risers go bad as they pump raw water through them. It's not abnormal to have to replace those. I'm actually quite surprised you got all that done for $950.00. That's not a bad deal. I don't know what engine you have in that boat, but manifolds/risers is usually about $1000.00 right there.

Bad water pump?? Yup....common maintenance item.

Get used to it. The water is a harsh environment for a boat and it's an expensive hobby to get yourself into. You got in CHEAP! Look around at everyone else who's dropped $40k to get in on the fun.

If you honestly think you'd go back and not buy this boat because it's cost you $950.00, this hobby ain't gonna be for you. It's always about spending money...Once you get out there and have some fun with the family you'll understand it though. You gotta pay to play.

I have the venerable 350 With a Mercruiser Alpha 1. I gotta say, she runs strong and fast with those new manifolds!! Its literally like night and day! Getting on plane is easy, and top speed is much faster. I love my old boat!!!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For some reason, all of my photos won't load. None of mine in Photobucket are small enough for the software here. Believe me, I have tried!

bgc

Ensign

For some reason, all of my photos won't load. None of mine in Photobucket are small enough for the software here. Believe me, I have tried!

Click on a photo in your Photobucket album, this will open it as an individual photo. Dont click edit. Move the cursor over the upper portion of the photo and some options will appear. The third from the left is "resize". I personally use 800x600 or 640x480 either will work here. Also if you uncheck "Retrieve remote files and reference locally" it will be full size.

photo.png

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I use a freeware program called Easy Thumbnails. Despite the name of the program, it will shrink photos to any size you specify.

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

So, before I upload to Photobucket, I just shrink the photos down to 800x600, then use the IMG link that photobucket provides.

Here are the two photos that were up on the Craigslist ad you posted:

wellcraft2.jpg

wellcraft.jpg