My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Thanks, my friend. We are here talking about personalizing our little patio and the upcoming weekend. We are thinking of camping out on the boat.

Life is good for us, and this old boat is responsible. I wish we would have done this a long time ago, but maybe the stars just lined up for us now.

I'll be 40 this year, and I think I needed this for myself and my family.

Again, thank you, and thanks to all of the forum members for their help. I am proud to be a part of the community here.

rogerwa

Commander

Have fun. The memories you form will be with you forever and there is no gong back when you realize you missed it.

We bought a cabin almost 10 years ago when it was a stretch and my little one who is 12 cannot remember not going up there. That will be a place where our family will always congregate as they get older.

Enjoy..

southkogs

Staff member

I'll get some pics up soon. I'm taking off tomorrow to take the sellers registration to the credit union, which has me approved for much more than this price. I hope that goes smooth.

In other news, nothing we have done as a family in a loooong time has us all equally happy and excited!

This is what we needed. Boating may be the best thing for my family that I could ever do!
Great family memories on boats. I grew up around them and have a bunch of fun memories as a kid with my family - now we get to go out pretty regularly as a group. My middle kid was practicing docking just this weekend a bit. Best wishes to all of you.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

congratulations and many fun on the water with your family ! when you felt the overall package is right for you it will be right for you !

cheers !

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Restless, I hope you will share some of your cabin cruiser experiences here as the summer moves into full gear.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be sure to keep y'all updated on our adventures and experiences.

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

$6500. I bought a boat. The family is super excited! ... Right now, I'm on Cloud Nine!!!

LOL! Congratulations! Looks like you and I both ended up buying our first boats. I just finished a three day weekend here and I took mine out all three days. Lovin' it!

Good luck and we need pics! (post them on GT too!)

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL! Congratulations! Looks like you and I both ended up buying our first boats. I just finished a three day weekend here and I took mine out all three days. Lovin' it!

Good luck and we need pics! (post them on GT too!)

I have pics, but the server here is fussy with my photobucket. I may head over to GT, but frankly, with my family more excited about being together than I can recall in a long time, I'm planning on selling my fun guns and concentrating on learning and enjoying out new family experiences on the boat.

I got my MSD inspection and decal yesterday, and wrapped up all the financials. I also finished the Boat-Ed course and passed it, and I bought a Honda EU2000 generator/inverter for the boat.

This evening we are going out with the previous owner for some training.

Did I say that we were excited?

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm planning on selling my fun guns and concentrating on learning and enjoying out new family experiences on the boat.

Just put them away in the safe for awhile. You will find that your hobby interests will eventually come back around and you will wish you hadn't sold them.

Did I say that we were excited?

That's awesome! It hasn't even been two weeks since I purchased mine, but I've already taken it out a half dozen times!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got some training from the seller today. He showed me the channel areas and the danger zones. I also got to pilot it and play with the trim and turns. I will certainly need to practice docking. What I will probably do is take a sick day (cough, cough) and head out by myself and practice on a workday.

That old boat runs and drives great, and will take a hard turn extremely well!

I also met my slip neighbors and helped them dock their boat and tie it up.

I love boating, and I can see a big boat down the road. Heck, I could see my wife and I retiring to a houseboat at this marina.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha....I don't remember what are you're in...but I hope for your sake it's not near a coast. You've got it bad, and the ocean just makes it worse. Beatiful marina's, fantastic harbor restaurants and of course the wide open ocean. Big water --> Big Boat --> Big Money.

I know 'cause I've got it too. It's great fun, enjoy yourself and show your a family a fun time. Practicing during the week is the only way to go. Get familiar with everything familiar with the lake.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha....I don't remember what are you're in...but I hope for your sake it's not near a coast. You've got it bad, and the ocean just makes it worse. Beatiful marina's, fantastic harbor restaurants and of course the wide open ocean. Big water --> Big Boat --> Big Money.

I know 'cause I've got it too. It's great fun, enjoy yourself and show your a family a fun time. Practicing during the week is the only way to go. Get familiar with everything familiar with the lake.

I'm up in NE Alabama at Goosepond Marina. We have direct access to the Tennessee River and I can go South to Guntersville, NE to Chattanooga and beyond, and west to Mississippi.

I'm a beach lover too, and the family goes with me each October to a Fire Investigators conference in lovely Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama.

I guess I'll look at those coastal vessels a lot different in October. ;-)

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't look at all...haha. My 24' boat looks tiny in the marina and I just stare and drool at all of the amazing boats. Fortunately though, the marina also tells the story of the abandonded boat. So many vessels that are just completely derelect and I see the past hopes and dreams of it's previous owners. Those that dreamed big, spent big, and now let their boat rot away completely unable to fathomably get back on top of the maintenance. It's humbling.

Remember that it's easier to keep up then catch up when it comes to boats. After a point, the boat becomes lost...It's either too expensive or too much work for the person that's already used and abused her.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

man whats with all the boats being purchased "water ready"? Where is the fun in that? I don't think I have ever bought a boat that I could just spash. I may have a little case of envy going on here. But I love my projects. lol. Congrats on a very nice boat purchase. Enjoy it.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. The community at the marina has welcomed us warmly, and every single of them made the offer to help if I needed it. This is invaluable to me!

gilligan12

Cadet

how bout used 18' bowrider with fiberglass deck and outboard. Dont have to worry too much about what you cant see :)

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

June 22 Update. Sigh....

$950 later, I have new exhaust manifolds, a new water pump, new thermostat, new lower water hose, oil change, hydraulic fluids changed, and a sour attitude.:mad:

The "normal temps" that the seller told me of were not true. The water pump had a leak at the bottom seal, both exhaust manifolds were badly corroded inside and one was cracked, and the thermostat was bad and the housing was corroded inside. The lower hose had, at some point, been rubbing against the belts, creating a failure point.

I just got a phone call from my trusty mechanic telling me that the temp gauge is actually off 20 degrees. He shot the engine with an IR gun, and he's getting consistent 140s even at 3500 RPM. He also told me that he believes that the gimble bearing may need replacing soon, but that would have to be done by the marina shop, since its a haul out job. :(

Were going out with him at noon to see how it all works out. Naturally, the seller, who told me that he's always a phone call away, didn't respond to my text message about the repairs.

We love our boat, and we are dying to get out on the water. If I could do it over again, I would either have paid him to do a pre-buy inspection, or not buy this boat. In retrospect, I could have bought a nice pontoon for a bit more. I have $6500 plus $950 in our boat so far.

I'm happy that she has been repaired, but a bit depressed that it had to be, and we have only been out once on it.

Someone whip me with a wet noodle or cheer me up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

cheer comes from the relaxation on the water. BOAT is Break Out Another Thousand.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't think twice since the purchase price of an old boat or really any boat is just the price of admission. Just a winterization here in MN is over $200 and all you get is an outdrive fluid and oil change on an I/O. Everything you mentioned that is wrong was my fear when I heard the age of the boat. I'm fully expecting you will have another $950 pulled from your pocket soon.