My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Just left the marina and asked the manager a ton of questions. When he explained what happens to a transom in glass boats got me a bit weak in the knees. He's also concerned about the power of the V6 in the cuddy cabin boats. Another thing I noticed, there are a ton of boats with Mercruisers in the dry storage.

And then he explained the popularity of the pontoons. It's easy maintenance and with an engine above a 40hp, more than enough fun.

So now, I've got something else to consider.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

That is one big reason, and a sundeck... With a family of kids, and probably friends, you are going to have kids that want to jump off, get back on, then jump off. With an outboard, this is bad for a couple reasons. Its dangerous both jumping, as well as getting back in. Also, they are bringing water with them every time. With an I/O and extended swim platform, they can't jump into the prop, getting back on is trivial, and you won't have any water in the boat if they are staying on the swim platform/sundeck.

Where I boat and have boated all my life, teenagers love boats and none of them have sundecks or swim platforms. And while I haven't personally been on a platform except on boats >45', it seems to me you can jump onto an underwater sterndrive easier than an obvious outboard, although the obvious solution is to jump from the sides.

Also if you have teenagers, as soon as they can drive the car they will be taking the boat out without you (and you shoudl bring them up this way) so consider something they can manage.

A pontoon boat is OK for novice skiiers who never fall down. Since they don't make many of them, the pontoon is not the best hull fro water sports--especially teaching some one. They are so manuverable for the pattern of go/fall/stop/turn around/straighten line/go (repeat)

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also found a 1989 Four Winns 160 Bowrider with a 3.0 Cobra. This is the first seller that mentioned the condition of the gel coat without me even asking about the condition. I was impressed with him more than the other sellers so far. It's a beautiful boat in pics.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

if 160 makes it a 16' boat, thats way to small. We are all serious, alot of us making this mistake before, that 18' should be your minimum length.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, 16 foot boat is for 2 people. There's no way you want your family of four + friends in anything that small. I'd be looking in the 18'-21' foot range. You're going to want a bigger boat anyway, but at 16' you will feel the NEED for a bigger boat. When you're kids are a few years older and they don't want to hang out with you anymore anyways, get a 16' boat.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. The advice is very much appreciated!

MikePNJ

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I agree you will want at least an 18-20 foot boat. The size of the beam is also something to look at. My 20 foot bowrider is lots of fun but the beam is a little narrow. My next boat will be a deck boat, something with 8 1/2 foot beam will really be a plus for having 8 people on board.

The capacity plate may say the boat is rated for 11 people but you would never want to squeeze that many people on some. For example I worked on a 26 foot Mariah cuddy last week. It had a beautiful cuddy space. The captains chair and mates chairs were big. You could barely stand behind them before you were at the rear seating area (3 seats) and a sun pad behind it. It was rated at 12 passengers. I wouldn't want to cram 5 people on it.

Think about what you will want to use it for.

I also agree with the outboard option. It may be harder to find but I love mine, and the list of things to worry about on a first boat makes more sense. One drawback is 2 stroke engine noise may be a little loud when your cruising also.

Mike

rogerwa

Commander

Just a thought, but if you are limited in experience, trying renting different types. You can rent a pontoon to see how that works and then rent a bow rider.

I had a 17' sea ray ( I have 4 kids). It was fine when the kids were small and I loved that boat. But now I am in a 25' pontoon. You just can't beat the space for your friends and theirs. I am not a trailerboater though.

If I had to trailer and did not live in a freeze climate ( like I do), I would look at a 18+' bow rider with at least a v6. I love the quietness of the io. You just have to watch for damaged bellows which can ruin your gimble bearing and potentially sink you. It maintenance you need to keep up on. As said before check the area arond the gimble mount of the I/o for water intrusion and possible transom issues.

We all have our opinions. Nothing can replace a little experience on your part and then to
Sites to your own preferences..

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I have also found a 1989 Four Winns 160 Bowrider with a 3.0 Cobra. This is the first seller that mentioned the condition of the gel coat without me even asking about the condition. I was impressed with him more than the other sellers so far. It's a beautiful boat in pics.
Cobra = OMC. Big no no. Company is out of business and parts can be scarce and expensive.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the heads up on the Cobra! I'm just waiting for the right one, I guess. The Bowrider seems like it fills my wants and needs, while the pontoon idea fills my needs and some of my wants. I'm not sure that makes sense, but at the marina today, I eyeballed a couple of 20+ footer Sea Rays and Bayliners in hydro lifts. Those boats "crank my tractor" so to speak.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be VERY glad that you went down to the marina and saw whawt "cranks your tractor" whatever that means, lol. It's going to happen every single time you go to the lake anyway! Don't buy based on what you see on CL or what you see for sale somewhere, go buy what you WANT when you are at the lake. Otherwise you'll be buying two boats, one now and then the one you realize you really want in 6 months, and yes, it happens that fast. Your priorities change if they have to, lol.

Think of the process as fun. You're educating yourself on the market in your area is like. Keep visiting the lake, maybe rent a boat, they are often offered on CL or through local joints, and when you know what you want when you're at the lake, not when you're shopping, start looking at those boats that come up for sale. It may take you awhile, but the longer you look at them and the more you turn down and walk away from the better your chances of finding the right boat at the right price. The first boat you look at will likely seem "in pretty good shape", but when you see the next one you'll realize the first one was junk. If you can check out at least 4 or 5 of the boat you want you'll have an idea on the market in your area and when a deal comes around you can strike at it with confidence and be happy with your purchase.

Good luck...I think you've gotten some great guidance in this thread and I hope you and your family find a great match!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Think of the process as fun. You're educating yourself on the market in your area is like.

Great advice. Look at lots of boats. After you've really inspected a few, you'll start to see common problem areas, and get a good idea of the types and layouts that look 'good' to you. Post here as you see likely candidates. We LOVE to 'spend' other people's money :)

(If looking at I/O's, do yourself a favor- if the drive package isn't a Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta with a GM engine (4.3, 5.0, 5.7), just take it off your shopping list. You'll find many boats of that vintage with OMC drives, Ford engines, Mercruiser 470/3.7 liter packages, etc. All obsolete. And double-check any '5.0' to make sure it's a GM 305 and not a Ford 302)

64osby

Admiral

Look at lots of boats. After you've really inspected a few, you'll start to see common problem areas, and get a good idea of the types and layouts that look 'good' to you... ...
(If looking at I/O's, do yourself a favor- if the drive package isn't a Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta with a GM engine (4.3, 5.0, 5.7), just take it off your shopping list. You'll find many boats of that vintage with OMC drives, Ford engines, Mercruiser 470/3.7 liter packages, etc. All obsolete. And double-check any '5.0' to make sure it's a GM 305 and not a Ford 302)

Often the best decisions are made by not finding what you want, but knowing what you don't want. Take your time and like someone else said have fun with it. A while back someone told a story about looking for the family boat and the whole family got involved. they made day trips out of it, so a bad boat didn't wreck the whole day, they went on to do other things.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't thank y'all enough for the help so far!

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to look at a 88 Sea Ray 20' with a V6 Mercruiser stern drive. So far, the answers to my questions have been good. The engine is 7 years old, and the boat is the size we like. It rides on a dual trailer, but does not have electric brakes, which is fine by me. The bearings and tires are like new and the boat top is excellent. He said the boat planes out nicely, and is regularly used for tubing, etc and is well maintained. He is asking $5500 for iit all, and will toss in the ropes, skis, tubes, etc.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Where are you located? That can help with some of the pricing comments given the huge regional pricing differences. Sounds like you are stearing away from a pontoon. They are not a practical boat to tow as compared to an 20 foot bowrider. In MN where almost everyone has a boat, you rarely, rarely see one used as a trailer boat. They are great second boats to keep at the lake home however. My only beef so far is the age of the boats you are looking at. Your budget should allow you into the early to mid 90's if you look hard. Lots of guys like older boats, but they generally require more maintainance than a much newer boat and many here are enthusiasts who can do the repairs themselves keeping the costs to parts and opportunity cost. In addition, my I/O's require much more preventative maintainance than my almost completely maintainance free outboards. Again not knowing where you are however, at least here in MN it is the height of the boating season and so prices and demand go up sharply. That said however the supply of used boats in the off season dwindles down to a trickle so it's a give and take.

On another note, I can say that many of the people I know that have a boat when their kids are young, quickly loose the kids interest when they become teens and sports and friendships/boyfriends/girfriends/parties/whatever get much more serious. You get them to come with sometimes with friends but there comes a time when friends take precidence. Our good friends moved from entry level up to a new 40 footer then as the kids got disintersted down to the entry level 24 foot Formula then finally just sold it when the kids were midteens. Have seen that happen over and over. That's how it was for me when I was a teen as well. That's exactly how I got my sig boat with 40 hours on it several years back. Either take advantage of it or take heed of it.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in NE Alabama, on the Tenn. River. I just got a call back on a 1987 Chapparral XL 18' with a 4.3 Mercruiser I/O that the seller wants me to drive it today. He won't sell unless I do the water test. The only issue he told me of, is the neutral is a bit tricky. He told me that the mechanic said that this is an issue with a lot of the older I/Os, and that he could spend $700 and still not be much better. Thoughts?

He's asking $4300.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My first thought is that is a lot of money for that boat even in immaculate shape. In MN boats are crazy, insanely expensive as compared to many other markets given the tremendous demand given our 11,000 lakes. Even new boats are sold at a premium to the identical boat at a southern state dealer. Even here in the peak of the market that is a high price.
Here is what I think is a similar boat: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/3009233116.html

Chaparral 165 HP 18 ft Inboard/Outboard Ready to go..New prop, with cover and Bimini top. Shore Station Lift Available, Fathers Day surprise! Must see!!! A steal for the money, Ski ready, Fast Boat (55MPH) Make Offer.
Call Doug @ 612.501.6650 any time.

Here's an early 1990's Rinker as well: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/3062719273.html

1992 RINKER 186 CAPTIVA *VERY CLEAN* 18.5' * nice boat* * needs nothing* full guage package, tilt wheel, AM/FM / 6 DISC CD CHANGER W/REMOTE, bimimi top, back seats convert to sun deck, rear deck with fold down ladder, 3.0 Mercruiser, prop in good shape, good on gas, super clean, great running boat. Nice trailer with good tires and 2" ball, $6000 or $$$ make offer $$$ or possible trade for nice car, skidsteer or tractor w/loader no junk. (cash only) if interested call 612-501-6500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaparrals are far and few between here and so not the easiset to compare even though we have two dealers in the state, most people opt for a cheaper brand. That is the feedback I get all the time when launching at the ramp. The Rinker is a ho hum brand and has only a 3.0 but is an example of something newer in your budget from a guy clearly willing to negotiate in a high price state.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Do not forget to set aside what could be a fair amount of money for things like Dock Lines, PFD's (several sizes and at least 2 types depending on the area), Anchor(s), Anchor line, chain, Fenders, Fire Ext., Small tool kit.

Don't overlook the necessary safety items that may not come with the boat.

Outside of that, I can't add anything to what's already been said.

Welcome Aboard.